The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

how low is too low and how should i lower it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflyer897

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2003
BFE, Arizona
just bought a 95 eclipse RS and i want to lower it some.. just enough to get a second look from ppl. i'm thinking springs and performance shocks but i want to do it right the first time... and having it cheap would be great considering i'm broke. help me out if ya can thx....

Rob wett
:dsm:

I had my GS dropped on Eibach sportlines. On my 18's its looked real sweet and rode awesome. When I switched back to my stock 16's it still looked good, but rode like ass and scraped everywhere. I think the Eibach pro-kits is a better idea or go with the Tokico Strut/Spring combo.

Luke

Don't listen to Luke, hes a bi***.

:thumb: Good one. Do you feel better about yourself now? Low self-esteem is such a terrible thing.

Luke

ok i love the chat but i really need to know how much to lower it not all this drama.... LOL no really guys don't worry bout the reputation stuff i just need info. thx everybody keep 'em coming

1.2-1.5 inches is good if you dont want to scrape and bottom out on everything.

Originally posted by *97GS_Eclipse*
:thumb: Good one. Do you feel better about yourself now? Low self-esteem is such a terrible thing.

Luke

Don't worry Luke, he's banned :thumb:

The amount you can lower kind of depends on road conditions in your area, especially in the places you frequent. I never ever remember bottoming out on anything until I lowered my car about 2 inches then suddenly I see all the bumps.

There are many discussions about the best combinations of struts and springs to use and you will see the same stuff leading pack over and over. The biggest determining factor will be your wallet.

I recommend to anyone lowering his or her car to get a system that is adjustable. It is highly likely that you will not be happy with some aspect of the suspension height, too low, too high, uneven, etc. With an adjustable suspension you can, um… adjust it.

I'm currently sitting on 17s (stock 14s before that, woo), eibach prokit and KYB AGX all around.

prokit gives my front bumper 4" of clearance. Lowering any more than that on a car you plan to drive is crazy IMO.

Prokit + KYB + sticky tires makes for great handling btw, I just got my 17s + tires last week, and now that my suspension is basically finished (probably not going to bother with brakes, at least for a while) it handles GREAT. I leave the rear moderately loose, and the front pretty tight, and it helped me to get rid of a lot of understeer and the ride quality is still very acceptable. Then when I want to race, just pop open the hood, adjust the front shocks (adjustment for KYB is right at the top of the strut towers, simple screwdriver, takes 2 seconds). Close the hood, hop in, and pop the clutch.

For $100/shock and about $250 for the springs, you can't go wrong.

great idea's guys... the last post i like ur idea but i might have missed something.... did u mean to say 350 bucks for the shocks and springs for the front and back? in another words i could get a wicked adjustable suspension for 350 bucks? if so i'm going to the store as long as i don't hear anything back about them. thx guys

ohh another stupid ? for everyone.. how exactly do they determine how low u lowered your car?

measure before and after my truck was slammed 10 inches from factory in te front he he the frame layed on the ground course that had bags so i could lift it back to stock
around here though i wouldnt like a statci drop too much the roads really suck ass

You can usually determine the drop by measuring the height from your tire to fender before and after lowering.

Tokico makes a spring and strut package for around 400$ i believe.

I have Eibach Sportlines with Tokico blue shocks. All together it cost me about 450$

KYB AGX shocks cost around $100 each, so you are looking at about $400 + install. Eibach prokit is around $225 + install. Altogether you should be able to be under $800 for a setup that handles extremely well (IMO).

i'm looking o lower my car about 2 in. i think. like i said i have a 95 eclipse and lack of money like most people. thx guys...

Rob Wett:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back