The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How long and/or wide is a 2G DSM engine bay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky157

Probationary Member
Dec 14, 2021
Saratoga Springs, New_York
No I am not talking about a V8 in a dsm, just to put that out there. Ive been looking to pick up a roller for a project as its warming up, and want to know what could fit. Currently I am looking at volvo 5 cylinder engines, but I don't know if the engine bay is long enough to fit one longitudinally, or the other way. Would an awd transmission from one fit in either way?

There is barely enough room for a 4cyl with the awd trans let alone a 5 cyl and an adapter plate etc.
Best option is probably stick with the dsm drivetrain.
Sorry this doesn't answer your question directly.

There is barely enough room for a 4cyl with the awd trans let alone a 5 cyl and an adapter plate etc.
Best option is probably stick with the dsm drivetrain.
Sorry this doesn't answer your question directly.
Oh, thank you. I thought the engine bay was larger than It is

I just measured my RS swap candidate - it's 34.5in between "frame rails". As I was pulling out the 420a i was thinking to myself that it was way tighter than I thought. I think that upper A arm takes up a lot of space?

This is going to be a bigger challenge than I thought haha

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back