The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHerron

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Missoula, Montana
So this is something I did about 6 years ago.

Replacing stock fuel pressure regulator with common Aeromotive FPR. Usually it's done with 6AN but I really wanted 8AN for...some reason I don't recall at the moment.

Here we go...

The stock 2G rail ID is 16mm in and out. I chose to use an 8AN to 3/4"-16 o-ring fitting on regulator end.

Issues: no provision for oring, and rail not threaded for 3/4"-16.
\/
Solution: discard o-ring and research crush washers, thread rail
\/
Threading: get tap. tap requires rail to have 11/16" (17.4mm) ID. get 11/16" drill(*1). try to drill straight. use bolts as guide. mark required depth on drill bit with tape. debur any edges leftover from drilling.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Tapping: use bolts as guide and tap. little turns at a time. oil.

Important part-
I chose to use a thick some-kind-of-plastic crush washer that was safe for gasoline. even though it's thick and may be able to take up any alignment issues leftover from tapping not perfectly square, I chose to make the mating surfaces square.

the way I did that was by threading the fitting in and barely finger tightening it. I then used a thin razor (the old square ones) and tried to wedge it into gaps. If there were gaps I would unscrew the fitting and scrape the correct spot (based on where gap was) down on the rail mating surface using a razor.

Then of course I cut off the ears, cleaned it up and made it look like it was this way stock.
I also used some gasoline safe thread sealant.

Also in the way is the top timing cover bolt ear. I just cut it all off.

That's it! Enjoy!

*1- I may have used a reamer since the stock removal was within range of tool capability. 17.4mm-16mm= 1.4mm (.055")

Disclaimer:
I'm not an engineer, I don't know if this is 100% safe so keep that in mind, I'm not saying this is a perfectly safe modification. It just works for me. I have a fire extinguisher in my passenger seat at all times.

Props for the customization work. I'm lazy and found it easier to just order an aftermarket fuel rail. Didn't need the upgrade but the factory rail was cracked so I figured why not.

That looks legit to me man. I might think about doing that to mine

What are you reasons for choosing this mod? Like what's your hindrance?

Props for the customization work. I'm lazy and found it easier to just order an aftermarket fuel rail. Didn't need the upgrade but the factory rail was cracked so I figured why not.

Nice man, I just loved the stock look. I was obsessed with stock appearance years ago.

How do you like your new rail? Beefier?

I like the fact that it doesn't leak, and the fuel lines are easy to get on and off with the an fittings. Zero performance increase since I wasn't over running the factory rail. But it looks pretty.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back