The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

How High can i turn my boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGdsmNewb

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
K mods so far..... MBC, k&N filter , 1G BOV, metal intercoooler piping.... Right now i have it at 11psi on the T-25 and im just wondering if i could turn it up a bit and still be safe. Thanks for replies! O by the way the car has 136 thousands kilometers. So like 70k miles i think that is

I would say 15-16 psi should be fine. With the t-25 there really isn't the need to go any higher. Thats where I have mine set. I have the same mods as you plus a few more.

No you can't turn it up and be safe. You need a datalogger. Lots of people are going to jump in here and say you can go up 15 psi, but they are inexperience and don't know what they are talking about. Every car is different. You could be having knock issues right now and not know it. Turning up the boost would only make the problem worse. Get a logger, or you risk severely damaging your engine.

You do need to log it to make sure your safe before turning it up. I think the t-25 cant really handle more than 13psi, I think because the wastegate will start leaking.

GVR4592 said:
No you can't turn it up and be safe. You need a datalogger. Lots of people are going to jump in here and say you can go up 15 psi, but they are inexperience and don't know what they are talking about. Every car is different. You could be having knock issues right now and not know it. Turning up the boost would only make the problem worse. Get a logger, or you risk severely damaging your engine.

I'm guessing that the "inexperienced" comment was directed toward me. I have had my dsm for 3 1/2 years, and I am far from inexperienced. And I am sure there are a million others on here with more experience than me who have told someone the same thing. And I am sure there are millions who have turned up the boost to 15 psi on a t-25 and been fine. What you said is true though, every car is different. I am just going by personal experience with my dsm and with friends dsm's. Also it's true that he should get a logger. And a bigger fuel pump wouldn't hurt either. While anything is possible I seriously doubt he is knocking like crazy on stock boost and and air filter.

JayRolla said:
You do need to log it to make sure your safe before turning it up. I think the t-25 cant really handle more than 13psi, I think because the wastegate will start leaking.

It's not that the wastegate leaks, it's that the t-25 just isn't big enough to flow that much air.

Oh yea your right bigdogg, I couldnt remember. If you turn it up to high you just start to push hot air, not a good thing. And hes most likely not knocking now, but turn it up to 15psi blowing hot air would cause knock, right?

Not just that, the stock fuel system wont allow it past 15 psi, no more than that. Plus its the T25, it wont pull that much air either.... not until you get some more mods or a bigger turbo...... then that's when you can crank it up....

From what i've read, the t-25 can hold it's own at about 15 psi, after that it's basically just blowing hot air, even with supporting mods. And as far as inexperience and all that, i truly doubt that boosting 15 psi on a t25 would cause knock (correct me if i'm wrong). I would suggest some fuel mods and a logger is always a good thing to have with an afc, but you would probably blow a t-25 way before you blew your motor.

RGdsmNewb said:
K mods so far..... MBC, k&N filter , 1G BOV, metal intercoooler piping.... Right now i have it at 11psi on the T-25 and im just wondering if i could turn it up a bit and still be safe. Thanks for replies! O by the way the car has 136 thousands kilometers. So like 70k miles i think that is

I have had my DSM since 2000 (2G) and it can handle 15 psi with the stock fuel system. You know why it can handle it? Eventhough the boost is set at 15 psi and you will see that until 5500 RPM, after that you will see it go down. By the time 6000 RPM hits your already at 13 psi, and once you hit 7000RPM your at 11 psi. The T-25 cannot maintain 15 psi to redline, however, I believe Forced Performance sells an actuator where it lets the T-25 hold I believe 17 psi to redline correct me if I am wrong( 17 psi at least change your fuel pump to a walbro 190 or better), but in the stock form, it just can't period. To be a little extra safe, just rewire your fuel pump to give it extra voltage that way it will flow more. Anyway, good luck boosting your car.

GVR4592 said:

I just want to let you know that the 2G's have smaller turbos then the 1G. 14B flows 405CFM compared to the T-25's 295 CFM. I believe your Galant has a 14B stock correct me if I am wrong, then 15 psi is a little more of an issue because clearly the 14B can hold that to redline, I would at least rewire the fuel pump. Logger is a plus for sure, but only if your really fine tuning and are running a lot of supporting mods where you are more acceptable to knock. However, I believe in the stock form the 2G can handle 15 psi without any problems, however, make sure its 15 psi more then that and you will start to run a little lean and blow hot air from the turbo which increases the change of detonation. Anyway thats my .02 cents, just don't call everyone inexperienced it isn't nice :thumb:

All I know running more than stock boost without a good tune is insane. The dyno shop here that own nissans say the only reason dsm's get away with turning up the boost is because the motor is so strong. Qoute"cant blow them up with a hand grenade". It will still work but you are still causing knock which kills the life of the motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back