The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How high can engine rev safely? [Merged 12-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle 5

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
How high can the 420A engine rev safely on stock springs and retainers without worrying about valves floating or what not? Also, what is needed to get rid of the rev limiters ? (7200 and 7800 fuel/ignition cuts) would a msd ignition work? just wondering. Im rebuilding my engine and Im trying to decide what to do head wise. Originally i was going to get stainless valves, crower springs, retainers, pt cruiser lifters, rockers but someone said I should get cams and get port work done instead of getting the wprings, retainers and lifters since the stock ones are fine. anyone know?

fwdeclipse said:
When I was running my e316g I would shift at 6500.Now I have a t4 60 trim and its hard to keep off the limiter at 7500:D .I would say with stock cams the motor will stop making power at about 6500.

Sure they dont make as much power up top as a set of cams, but the car will still make power with enough boost. Are you running the T4 setup with stock cams? If so, how does it feel, spool and transient response?
thanks for the info

91-gsx said:
Sure they dont make as much power up top as a set of cams, but the car will still make power with enough boost. Are you running the T4 setup with stock cams? If so, how does it feel, spool and transient response?
thanks for the info

Yeah im running the stock cams until winter and I will be getting some 272s.It feels aewsome this thing freakin rips my hands off the steering wheelOMG .I was used to the e316g so spool time seems slow but its worth it.Im getting 21psi at about 5k.Like I said once it hits boost its hard to keep off limiter.The only thing so far that I am concerned about is the 2-3 shift boost falls off pretty bad and takes another second to get back up.

fwdeclipse said:
Yeah im running the stock cams until winter and I will be getting some 272s.It feels aewsome this thing freakin rips my hands off the steering wheelOMG .I was used to the e316g so spool time seems slow but its worth it.Im getting 21psi at about 5k.Like I said once it hits boost its hard to keep off limiter.The only thing so far that I am concerned about is the 2-3 shift boost falls off pretty bad and takes another second to get back up.

I remember you asking about a turbo that you bought and then you later found out that it was a t4 60trim on the turbo tech thread, im happy your enjoying it. Well you have 7500 rpm limter, but do you feel that it could pull past this even with the stock cams? Its seems like you would not have a problem sense you are bouncing off the limiter. How is the lag in first gear? See what I want to do is buy a scm6152 with the 4" inlet and rev the stock cams to 8000rpms so that i do not have any lag in the next gear, better transient response if you shift higher. As most people said and i agree, that the stock cams do not make as much power past 6500rpms, but if you are puching 25psi out of a 65lb/min turbo, the gear should not last long regardless of having cams or not, it actually makes it easier on the turbo because you are not taking in as much air and making it spin less for the same boost level. Im not saying cams will not make more power, I just want to make as much power as possible without cams just yet.
later

91-gsx said:
I remember you asking about a turbo that you bought and then you later found out that it was a t4 60trim on the turbo tech thread, im happy your enjoying it. Well you have 7500 rpm limter, but do you feel that it could pull past this even with the stock cams? Its seems like you would not have a problem sense you are bouncing off the limiter. How is the lag in first gear? See what I want to do is buy a scm6152 with the 4" inlet and rev the stock cams to 8000rpms so that i do not have any lag in the next gear, better transient response if you shift higher. As most people said and i agree, that the stock cams do not make as much power past 6500rpms, but if you are puching 25psi out of a 65lb/min turbo, the gear should not last long regardless of having cams or not, it actually makes it easier on the turbo because you are not taking in as much air and making it spin less for the same boost level. Im not saying cams will not make more power, I just want to make as much power as possible without cams just yet.
later

Yeah I already emailed jeff at keydiver to get my rev limit changed to 8500.Im not gonna try and rev it to like 8200.It definately seems like it will pull higher up.I agree with what your saying about a bigger turbo on stock cams.My e316g at 6500 was a perfect shift point and it was pretty much done.This t4 60trim wants to rev alot higher.I will be getting cams in a couple of months but until then the stockers will do fine.:thumb:The lag in first does not seem to be bad but I dont see 21psi until probably 6k in first.People will probably be like WTF why would you want that turbo.I thought the same thing at first and its not as bad as it sounds.

I was just watching some old dyno footage of my car last night. With the cams in it just rips up to redline in third. Without them, it seemed like the gear would never end. It took so long to get to 7k.

fwdeclipse said:

2nd to 3rd shift? You've got NLTS, use it LOL . Hopefully with the higher rev limit boost recovery shouldn't be much of a problem. Have you got it up to 25psi yet :)

Reese92tsi said:
2nd to 3rd shift? You've got NLTS, use it LOL . Hopefully with the higher rev limit boost recovery shouldn't be much of a problem. Have you got it up to 25psi yet :)

Yeah its the 2nd to 3rd shift.I dont have NLTS but when I get my next chip burned im gonna have him add it.I got the boost up to 22psi and im not seeing any knock (thanks to the meth injection)I wanna get my bigger injectors before I go any higher but if im not knocking I guess im good.I may try and go to 25psi.:D

BISHILVR said:
Why do you guys insist on finding arguement for reving the 4g63 to 10,000 rpm?

Maybe what, 1% of all DSMers rev all the way to 10,000 rpms...? Shep is the only one that I know of that consistantly revs that high and not only does he have the engine and head to rev that high, he also has a turbo that will keep making power that high (FP GT42R @ 55psi); as well as a clutch and tranny that can handle shifting at that insane of an rpm... So can it be done? Sure... But is it practical for your average E316G or comparable user? Not even close...

I did'nt mean literally 10k, but what I am saying is that I keep see'ing threads about reving the 4g63 to numbers well beyond what is necessary, and what is beyond the 4g63's peak torque and horsepower output. 90% of the people asking these questions have mostly stock setups also. The people that actually have an engine setup that has to be ran that high would'nt be on here asking questions about how high they can rev on a stock valve train etc. There are a ton of threads already out here on the hp and torque peaks of the 4g63, look around.

Just got a SBR stage 6 head with ferrea 1mm over valves, Manley springs and retainers. Brian Crower 280 cams how high can we saftely rev this head to??:thumb:

We were thinking to go to 8500 dont know if this setup is safe for that or if we can go higher??

Thanks

SpoolN said:
Just got a SBR stage 6 head with ferrea 1mm over valves, Manley springs and retainers. Brian Crower 280 cams how high can we saftely rev this head to??:thumb:

We were thinking to go to 8500 dont know if this setup is safe for that or if we can go higher??

Thanks

Mine is similar and I rev to 8500-9000 on a regular basis with no issues at all.

The Manley springs and retainers are rated at 8500rpm. I would say keep it around that and it should be fine.

vintagemuscle said:
The Manley springs and retainers are rated at 8500rpm. I would say keep it around that and it should be fine.

K thanks just wanted to double check

yeah i might not be the smartest duck in the pond but i am pretty observant.

How many revs do yall usually turn with a MS, i was thinking about 6500 or 7000 but i don't know? just so i know where the motor tops out at, usually.

thanks

The factory limit for manual cars is ~7250rpms. How far you want to push that would depend on your level of build, quality of tune, and size of your cahones. Some guys with MS spin it up to 8000 and higher. Some guys don't spin it past 7500.

I was thinking about doing a n/t at one time then i did alot of research and as i found out even with Hahn Racing your not going to be able to push a N/T past 250hp without spending about 10g's oh it is very possible but its far cheaper to do a turbo in it, also if your concerned about a turbo daily driver dont worry about it, you can tune a dialy driver turbo to have better g/m then without turbo

I was thinking about doing a n/t at one time then i did alot of research and as i found out even with Hahn Racing your not going to be able to push a N/T past 250hp without spending about 10g's oh it is very possible but its far cheaper to do a turbo in it, also if your concerned about a turbo daily driver dont worry about it, you can tune a dialy driver turbo to have better g/m then without turbo

Which thread are you responding to? That has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

As someone else said, it depends on how well its built, and how well its tuned. If your just running a stock motor, set the rev limiter at what the factory has it at.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back