The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

How far can you drive with a blown HG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRidzPhucked

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2003
QuebecCanada
is it possible to drive 500 miles with a blown head gasket?

i just bought a car for a really good deal, i'm wondering if its possible to drive it that far with a blown head gasket. it blew because a rock hit the rad and all the fluid came out. i'll be taking the rad off my talon and bringing it with me to go get the car, i'll have to take the intercooler as well.
is there any chance it could make it?
thanks!

Is it burning coolant and if so how much smoke comes out the exhaust? You should probably ge tit towed to be safe, or at least have a friend with a cell follow.

Till it wont drive anymore....

Honestly I wouldnt drive it. If you can find a friend to trailor you that would be much smarter then risking more damage.

I blew mine a while back and saved my bottom end and only needed to do top end work. Save yourself the money and tow it.

Kevin90GSX said:
Till it wont drive anymore....

Honestly I wouldnt drive it. If you can find a friend to trailor you that would be much smarter then risking more damage.

I blew mine a while back and saved my bottom end and only needed to do top end work. Save yourself the money and tow it.

thats what i thought... in theory, it would be better. but in the long run it would mean that i could prolong the agonizing payments...

what would you think about driving it maybe 250 miles then towing it?
i'm just trying to find the cheapest, and easiest way to do this as i have to get the car SOON.

And as for blowing smoke and such, i dont know, i havent even seen the car in person.

and yes, i already bought it. dont flame :p

If you are burning coolant, it's a bad idea to drive it at all. If you go low with the coolant and you start to overheat, your head could warp so much that it wouldn't be repairable. Then you'll have to spend the extra cash for a new head, instead of a rebuilt one.

If the gasket blew because of a radiator hole -which means, from overheating- it may well have warped the head. Hoping to drive it more than about.... oh, sixteen feet or so ...is a very dicey proposition.

Now, then. I never told you this. But -only if there's no water in the oil- you may want to try bringing it up to temperature and giving the head bolts an extra half-turn each while hot.

But I seriously doubt it'll make a hundred miles. There's liable to be more wrong than the head gasket (piston scuffing, water pump damage, blown bearings if that oil got wet).

I say if the radiator blew and your New cars HG blew, you got a ####ed head anyways. Trailer that ride, because you aren't gonna make it

Alright, looks like i'll be towing it
*sigh*
i'm gonna pay almost as much as i did for the car for towing...
thanks for the replies!

Can't you get rent a trailer and tow it? Uhaul rents the full car trailers (all wheels off ground) for $49 per day, and if you or someone you know has a truck with a hitch, tow it yourself. Otherwise, look at some car rental places and rent a truck that has a trailer. Cost per miles depends, but you might luck up and find something cheaper than paying a company to tow it.

Good Luck, Joe

right now i'm looking at using CN rail, the main train system in canada... it shouldnt be TOO expensive... i have a buddy that could tow a doll for me, but it would be the same as renting one with the gas and such, plus feeding him and paying him for use of the truck...

my deadline is today to figure it out, i'm stressing hardcore!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back