The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G How far can i go on pump gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexGsxCummins

Proven Member
May 31, 2014
Bremerton, Washington
So i did search and found 2 threads that wasn't much help. as far as i can tell i only have 92 pump gas around me, i currently have a 2g that i enjoy being able to dd or just hop in and cruise, it has a small 16g and im wondering if that alone will max me out on 92 pump gas, or is there a alternative i can use to run something bigger i wanted a hx35 with bep housing but i dont see a point if i can keep the small 16g and make the same power. I wanted to go e85 but the station is really far away sadly, so my questions, 1, how far will i get from 92 pump only, 2, is there any other options to let me run a bigger turbo and have my 10 second dream dd car?

My point is why spend a ton of cash on a complicated secondary fuel system?
Closest e85 station is 2 hours away, and its not complicated at all.

There are guys in the 7's on pump e85 with 2.0's, where are all the pump + meth guys?
If I were running an FP 4580HTZ in attempt to get into the 7's then I wouldn't be relying on meth to get me there. This was never a question of comparison.

OP wanted to know what he could do to make use of an HX35 on a stock block. I doubt that he'll be attempting 7's with that setup. You could easily run 40lbs of boost with a good methanol system, which he also wont be attempting.

OP, if you have access to e85 and are planning an upgrade to your fuel system, do it. If you don't, methanol is a perfectly viable solution.

We just have different viewpoints. I tune a good amount of cars. I either tune them on e85 or pump. I don't want a blown engine comeback because of a meth issue. What people do is their business, but when you have dollars behind what you say and do you get a lot more careful.

Your comment also proves one of my points. Meth injection is a viable option to add a little power and safety margin to a pump gas tune. Running 40 psi of boost isn't a good idea with pumpgas as the primary fuel. But, people like to treat meth injection as if it's a race fuel, it isn't.

A fueling issue at 40 psi with any fuel is going to cause problems. Running two fuel systems doubles the chances of an issue.

Again, do what you want with your own car. But being wreckless and edgy with other people's cars isn't something I'm into.

My point is why spend a ton of cash on a complicated secondary fuel system? I run e85 with a flex fuel sensor. If I get different ethanol concentrations, my timing and fueling compensate automatically based on the maps I wrote in the ecu.

Anyone who tries to say that water/meth injection is as good as race fuel/e85 is wrong. Unless they are running methanol as their primary fuel, then it kicks ass.

There are guys in the 7's on pump e85 with 2.0's, where are all the pump + meth guys?

This. You have V3 Alex so you could always go for a flex fuel system. The supporting mods for ethanol are a bit pricier than running a meth kit but you did say you were looking at going that route at one point anyways.

I haven't finished yet but that is what I'm going to be doing on my car. Since you were asking about where you would top out, injector size would be one of the determining factors since you'll be running pump gas quite a bit still. From what I've found looking into this, the new ID1300x injectors are still controllable enough to idle/cruise tune decently on pump gas and should support high 400's whp on E85. Whether hp is higher or lower than that would just depend on how far you go with supporting mods and tuning.

I went to KPtuning and he's a good tuner. He advised against using meth and tuned my car with the meth off.Prior to getting my car tuned by him my car was knocking like hell with the meth when the weather got colder outside.
Went to another tuner when I changed my injectors and he said that meth was good back in the 80's. E85 is cheaper than racefuel,allows the car to make hp like it's on race fuel, and is more reliable than meth just fill your tank up with 93 octane every other tankful and change my oil often ,meth or E85.

.....and he said that meth was good back in the 80's. E85 is cheaper than racefuel,allows the car to make hp like it's on race fuel, and is more reliable than meth just fill your tank up with 93 octane every other tankful and change my oil often ,meth or E85.
I don't have direct experience in this area (full disclosure), but my experience and research messing with turbo'd cars supports this.

Go fast cheap on E85. I keep 15 gallons at my house because I won't run anything else, but I don't drive long distances. All of my lawn mower cans are full of E. :) Its amazing fuel and I run a lot of boost with it!

Sometimes its not even E54 Donnie. My drive last night shows 51.6% but it still has no knock at 21* up to 8500 at 38lbs.

Wow this got sidetracked. Any more answers beyond the first couple of 300-330whp numbers?

Plenty of ppl running bottom 10s on pump. You just don't hear bout it cause their grudge racing em.

Key is very low intake temps. Air to water a must....Huge turbo a must. Everything needs to focus on cold air. Soon as it gets warm baboom.....

Wow this got sidetracked. Any more answers beyond the first couple of 300-330whp numbers?
No access to a dyno, made 402 in link at 25psi and 7* of timing at 7000 on 95 pump gas. That was Aug 7th 2015. On Aug 10th I had upped the boost to 28 and was logging 461 at 6400 with 4.6* timing. That was the most I could get out of timing and hp on blended pump 95 gas.

Last edited:
I made 360awhp on a dynojet at 25psi on 92oct. This was at English Racing. Swapped cams from comp 100s to S2s, added meth, and turned the boost up and made 440awhp. Same dyno. This is on an HX35 stroker. My mods list is pretty current. Bolt on housing with Punishment Racing recird o2 housing.

also tuned an fp black @33lbs, 92 pump and the same meth setup. stopped turning it up due to internals limitations.

Holy shit dude. I haven't fooled around with dialing in my SD wth the Black yet but that's impressive to say the least. You're in e85 territory. On 92??????????
I gotta get my car to an AWD dyno this year to dial in a 93 tune and a summer blend e85 tune. I HAVE to. Been putting it off for so long. My car is a monster on paper. But, it comes down to the tune when you have every last bit of the system upgraded.

****EDIT: Sorry, i missed the "meth" part. Doh!

Had fully built engine hydrolocked on 50/50 water/meth injection. Just recently expirienced the same on talon, but was lucky enough that car just shut off and started after several tries must have been better since it was 100 meth meaning evaporated fast?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back