The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How does this timing look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincinnati4g

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I recently did my timing, numerous times, actually, and cant exactly get everything to line up perfectly. the cams are lined up straight across, but the crank sprocket and oil pump sprocket look the tiniest bit off. is it ok or am i being too much of a perfectionist? also, the dowel pins on the tensioner pulley have to be facing down correct?

Attachments

• resied 2.JPG
    resied 2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 218
  • resized 1.JPG
    resized 1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 210
  • resized 3.JPG
    resized 3.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
From what I can see, your timing marks look fine. If this is a 6 bolt, I think the tensioner pulley holes must be in the 9 or 10 o'clock position prior to tensioning the pulley. With the pulley tensioned, I believe the holes are maybe in the one o'clock position but I'm going off of memory here...

You can't see the tensioner pulley in those pics. That's a freeze plug in the head.

Your cam timing looks fine. If it was a tooth off in the crank or oil pump it would be very noticeable, and the cam gears look good.

Yeah i couldnt get the camera in between the frame rail and the tensioner pulley. Im just paranoid about going to fire my motor and bending all my valves or something ridiculous. I thought it looked alright but a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion couldnt hurt

if your as close as you are you wont bend any valves, If you could get a better picture of the cam gears that would be great. The marks on the cam gears have to not only line up with each other but also the top of the cylinder head (inbetween the valve cover and cylinder head. I found inserting a toothpick in that slot helps line it up perfectly. also the toothpick lines up perfectly in the cam gear groove.

looks pretty good, try that toothpick trick i told ya about and it will tell exactly how close you gotta be. Put it this way, your not gonna bend any valves with it that close you start bending valves when its 3-5 teeth off! trust me my first timing belt was 3 teeth off and i didnt bend any valves, luckly.

Your timing marks look great. You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. I just did my first one a yr ago and i too was a nervous wreck about getting it right. I must have checked it at least 10 times before i fired her up. You have got to make sure that if you did a balance shaft removal kit that you dont have to worry bout the oil pump timing however i alwasy do it just to make sure.(OCD) LOL But if you are still running balance shafts make sure your oil pump timing is dead on or you will feel some crazy vibes when your car is running. Good luck fella.:thumb:

The timing looks great, if you did the BSE you would not have to worry about the oil pump lining up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back