The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How does this o2 housing look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCz Eclipse

10+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Alright. I found this o2 housing on ebay for $75. I know it's ebay, but I have bought other things from ebay and had great experiences with them. But I was wondering if you guys think this is a good buy, or if any of you have had experiences with ebay o2 housings. The way I look at it is, a piece of stainless is a piece of stainless. Let know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance :D

95 99 Eclipse 2G DSM O2 Housing Dump Tube Pipe 4g63 | eBay

a piece of stainless is not just a piece of stainless. The welds on these Ebay parts are rubbish. Save up and buy yourself a nice one from PR.

I dont see a problem with THAT one. But he doesnt just sell one-sees and two-sees so you dont know what you will be really getting, maybe a subpar weld job. so just be aware of that. and they will eventually look all burnt and dull on the outside anyways.

Its JUST an o2 housing guys.... I will work just fine. May need some porting but its prob a solid product. I mean ebay manis are crap but an o2 is just to damn simple to cause problems or crack. Theres hardly any stress on it. Buy it then review it.

edit: What about a 2g o2 housing? I ported the living hell out of mine(undivided pte) so i took a LOT of metal out. It flows great. Im seeing over 50lbs, link is saying 61lbs but i dont buy it. My mafraw is far exceeding 2g mas and hitting 3200khz LOL, time for SD ya think??? Regardless, the stock 2g mani ported out along with the 2g o2 ported a ton will flow quite a bit. Im proof of that as are many others on thsi site

Rather than messing with a 2g, I will probably just buy the ebay housing. I have a full exhaust ready to put on. As soon as I get it on I will post a review on it. Ported 2g exhaust mani, ebay o2, PR downpipe, 3 inch high flow cat, and a 3inch catback. Lets hope it sounds good.

Watch buying those off ebay bro. With my first dsm I bought one these off ebay and the damn housing bolt holes didnt match up with the turbine housing holes. Three holes were off, the most being almost 1/4 in. It was almost as if the 3 holes were clocked the wrong way. Im not saying dont buy it just be weary is all.

DON'T BUY IT!

I buy things off ebay all the time, including my 3" downpipe which was fine but I also bought this 02 housing in an attempt to save a few bucks but it's a POS, same one.

first, the picture doesnt show the OTHER side of the flange's bolt hole, which literally almost has no space for the bolt head / nut that you will use on it. The REAL OEM housings come with built in studs, MUCH easier to put the nuts on from the bottom..

second, it came and it was not a perfect fit, so we had to port one of the bolt/stud holes to get it to fit the turbo..

the 2 holes inside the housing (bigger &smaller) are not perfectly shaped for the turbo, just simply closest circle sized shape, rather then the exact shape, that the OEM housings do match up to.

to top it all off - it won't make your front 02 sensor fit, WITHOUT denting the water pipe that runs behind the manifold to the water pump...

here's MY thread asking about why my 02 sensor was not fitting, with pictures.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/415792-denso-front-oxygen-sensor-wont-fit.html

you should deffinatley buy an OEM housing, I personally got a really good deal on a EVO 3 manifold & housing together..

If you have a welder or know someone who does, don't worry about it. If the welds are shit, fix them. No big deal on an O2 pipe. If he bolt holes are off though, that can be a real pain in the ass. You can slot the holes and risk it leaking or moving, weld them shut and re-drill them, or send the POS back and get another one... The welds are an easy fix not to be too concerned with. Even if you don't know anyone with a welder, any decent exhaust shop can reinforce the welds for pretty cheap if needed.

I have no idea about the o2 sensor positioning though... If what he said above is true, you'd have to also have another o2 bung welded in a better position.

Ive been running my ebay O2 housing like that for 3 years with not a single issue at all. Port it out and call it a day. If you do use that one make sure you use those thick gaskets for the o2 to turbo. The mating surface isnt 100% flat (atlesat on mine) so i had to use the thick gasket instead of the thin OEM type. Other then that, i dont have an issue and ive had to remove mine 3 times already for reasons other than the O2 housing..

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a housing very similar to this with no problems. However, I once used an open dump version which had issues with 1 bolt hole being off. 10 minutes with a grinder solved the problem and it still worked fine when I sold it. IMO O2 housings from eBay are just fine.

The only reason I sold mine is because I'll be using an external wastegate setup with my new turbo.

anything we can tell you is about the same as saying "roll the dice" as that's all ebay is anymore with the flood of china crap.. it's a "crap shoot" with about the same odds of comingout ahead unless your'e the type to buy a cheap thing 5 times and be happoier than bying th right thing once

not saying you are doing anything bad by getting it as i understand broke, i am now the definition of broke when 6 years ago and a lot less pain, money was my last concern, i just worked more if i needed or wanted more, now i can't work, can barely do much, but would still rather save and spend a little more than take a chance on wasting any money at all

Please don't buy it. I have the same part and bolt holes do not fit the turbo, had to modified. The waste gate hole didn't match the turbo, had to be ported. The o2 sensor bung was in the wrong position hitting the water pipe so had to weld a new one on the other side. Fortunately for me I manage a exhaust shop so I was able to do everything myself and get it done in a couple hours but a real pita! Not worth it!!!!!

Hey glenn, If you dont mind me asking publicly... What happened? I remember you had some serious medical problems. My apologies if im being too forward. Im just curious. No need to respond or PM me if you want.

I threw my back out after some crossfit training and boy did that scare me. Couldnt dress myself for a week. It was serious but thank god it healed.

That and all the sportbikes ive crashed LOL. I baby my 09 zx10r now hehe

The worst thing thats going to happen to it would be an exhaust leak. I was just saying, by the time he bought it, possibly installed it (if that goes right0 and paying someone to fix the cappy welds, he could have bought a quality piece.

Hey glenn, If you dont mind me asking publicly... What happened? I remember you had some serious medical problems. My apologies if im being too forward. Im just curious. No need to respond or PM me if you want.

I threw my back out after some crossfit training and boy did that scare me. Couldnt dress myself for a week. It was serious but thank god it healed.

That and all the sportbikes ive crashed LOL. I baby my 09 zx10r now hehe

Well, i thought i just had pains from all the bike and car accidents and working hard, but went to a new doctor back on august 8th 2012 and learned i'm the lucky bstard that inherited a rare genetic condition similar to MS for the most part as far as main symptoms that are really noticeable..

My body (liver mainly) has an issue with making "heme" an enzyme in the blood, so my immune system has been attacking my nerves and muscles heavily for the last 6 years (when i started having mysteriouse ER trips that were undiagnosed and only stopped symptoms iwth mass opiates and hydration via IV) Now over the last 6 months since my doc left his job to retire and left me with no knowledge of how seriouse this all was, the attack frequency isso often that i've deteriorated more in 6 months than i have since the main onset of complications those 6 years ago.. it's somethign you're born with and there is no "cure" so now i sit back and have to watch and accept that i will lose muscle mass, as wellas conttrol of my limbs if nnot function of the heart and lungs, and each attack can randomelly kille me as there's nothing to specify what parts of the nervouse system my body kills off with each coming episode...

it sucks man, but it seems to help me more to tell and talk about it than it does to ball it up inside.. hell breaking the news onthis forum is how i finally got the balls to tell my family...spent the first 20 days trying to OD on anything i could, don't knwo how the f**k i lived but i did, now i'm going throiugh an ever so slow procress of tracking specific parts of the way myspecific condition is working (well the mayo clinic does my blood gas tests and sucjh) but best i can hope for is to manage and slow the effects as best I can.. personally as i told the doctor the other day, it['s so painfull to just be awake sometimes that i could care less what i am diagnosed with be it a cold or cancer, all i want is to manage the pain enough to be able to think about treating the underlying cause...then as i so gracefully looked him in the eyes and said, if he didn't want to treat the pain by giving me what has stopped most of the pain the last 6years, then i have a .45 that will make it stop for good.. i'm not a depressed person , i love life, but no one should have to live only to suffer...

it's good that i have a real diagnosis and we are forming a treatment plan,but the pain is so intense that i could care less about anything but taking care of that for the most part just because stopping the pain allows other activities that keep my mind off it (whichis what i'm the most pissed at these nwdoctors about but i also understand pain meds being widely abused and hard to just give in large doses for a condition that effects less than 2% of the world, and that not much is knwon about other than opitates and steroids to make soem one comfy and slow muscle mass loss.. so i have beenslowly dealingwith getting up to them making me at least comfortable again, which the holidasys and a bad fax machine put a 12 day delay on (would love to just punch some of the ass hat sin the medicalfield)

.... watching your arm, leg or other parts jump wildly and twitch at will with no control sucks,and is probably the most depressing part of it, ony because of family things that i still want but shouldn't put others through dealing with..as for the rest, i live every day like it's my last anyway, i dont need a garauntee of how long,just how well i can live it for the time being

sorry for another r\damn turboglenn book and going OT, erase it ifd you like, but i know others are wondering too, so i just figured i'd toss it out there again

Man I sorry to hear that bro. That has to be life changing, it saddens me to know people have to go throw something like that. The littlest things can be taken for granite (pain free). Keep your head up man

God damn glenn. How old are you? im incabaple of empathy but i do have sympathy for you brother. You go dealt a shit hand. How funny is it that all of us take our helth for granted. We should all be very thankful daily for what we have. I know a slight bit about opiate addiction, its a mother. Especially when you actually need it and arent using it to get high like most people. I hate being addicted to anything as im sure your in the same boat.

Well, not to sound sappy but ill keep you in my thoughts bro. Im an atheist so dont expect jesus to come a knockin!! LOL . I admire your resilience. Youre a tough SOB and any time i can help or just listen send me a PM. I think you would agree, the hardest part of dealing with an injury is not being able to work. Got kids or a wife? Anyway, im prying and babbling. You sem like a solid dude and if you can still machine stuff or weld ill pm you in the summer with some work if youd like.

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words.. I'm 35, probably lived and seen enough to be 50. All i can do is accept it, i'm sure that thought may change at some point, but being sad, mad or doing anything aside from just accepting it won't make a damn bit of difference, so i deal with it by not really dealing with it, just accept it as fact and try to be comfortable from day to day..which is what i get mad about..if i were comfortable i would still have much more quality in life, but i've toughed out life in general so far so if i gotta tough out a little more to get the medical treatment that gives me a better life that's what i'll do until such time as i can tough it out no more, which is an undefined term at this point.

I belive in a higher power that i simply call god, to put my trust and faith in but i do not choose a given religion as it's the number one killer of human beings since recorded history, or follow some set of ancient rules other than the "golden rule" and that's how i live, i do not expect to be important enough for the universe to make an exception for me so i can't be mad about that either..i wake up everyday, i treat my fellow man the best i can with hopes of the same in return, with the additional clause of cross me bad and i'll cross you out, it's a simple philosophy really. Some how i don't see why more people can't understand how to do the same. being of a scientific nature it's odd for me to believe in a god, but i have my experiences and reasons, on the same hand that same science leads me to the fact that we are no more than something that will break down to basics of carbon and energy..eventually energy transfer = science.. one thing i can say is at this point in life,is bills and shit are way more scary and frustrating than the thoughtof not waking up one day LOL (yes i probably need mental evaluations based onproof reading the above but i'm happy enough the way i am :D )

kids and wife...well techinically no, that's the only complicated thing in life and the only thing i can't figure out what to do with which is alsothe only thing i don't talk much about cause it's just a bad deal i have to figure out how to aproach, but i will spend new years with a beautifull woman and two little girls i'velved and known well for a long time but haven't seen in forever ;)

to all that i'll add one thing before i sign off fort the night..the one thing i can say i've felt great about is i no lnger have to give a thought to holding my tongue, not doign what I want to do in order to be responsible as society would like me to be, or any of that crap, i've stopped paying bills, I gave up worrying about everything else and for having a rather dimm outlook as long as i am happy and can keep the important people in mylife happy and healthy then there's nothing else that really matters all that much, after all what's the worst that can happen? I've spent 15 or more years worrying about a credit score and a meaningless bunch of green paper that i thought was enough to make all other things ok, the moment of realization that made those worries stop some how made a lot more stuff ok and not seem so burdening, don't know how i did it, and can't believe i put such importance on such meaningless crap for so long..all that maters is family and those you love and care about when it breaks down to facts

Just port a stock 2g o2 housing. It will last longer and probably be better then that thing, plus it would be way cheaper. If you want it because it's shinny go for it..

Dammit Glenn, quit being right ya bastige. :p

I'm 35 too... Jacked up my back in a motorcycle wreck in '98. Crushed 3 lumbar vertibrae that are now fused masses of "sonofabitch that hurts!", and I have a clinical lack of dopamine in my brain which can make me get jittery like I have Parkinsons. I have meds that fix that quick enough, but it still blows goats. Being f*cked up at our age is a real kick in the balls... And I know how ya feel. Getting anyone to listen is a bi***. Good luck.

As for the OP. Don't worry about having already bought it. If it needs fixing, the alterations are minor and shouldn't cost much at all at an exhaust shop.

honestly people will have their own opinion and i respect that. BUT. ive used an ebay o2 housing like that one (i got mine for 55) from ebay and never had fitment issues with it nor did it go bad on me in the 20k miles i used it now my buddy has it for over a year and still strong. I think its just luck.

now there are those who are giving their opinion and have never actually used it i dont really see their point.

theres things you should never use from ebay but even then some members have actually had good results. so once again its all luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back