The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do you...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangman

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2004
Detroit, Michigan
get this off? It's the oil pump sprocket nut. I've used a socket and a breaker bar and it only free-wheely. I've tried wedging it also, but to no avail. I'm trying to get it off so I can take out my front case and get to the crank. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 014 - edited.JPG
    Picture 014 - edited.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 135
you should be able to wedge a screw driver between the block and the balance shaft...

Hangman said:
get this off? It's the oil pump sprocket nut. I've used a socket and a breaker bar and it only free-wheely. I've tried wedging it also, but to no avail. I'm trying to get it off so I can take out my front case and get to the crank. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Another option is to wrap the cogged pulley in a shop rag and use an 18" Cannel Lock type pliers to keep it from rotating while releasing the nut. You can do the same thing with a chain wrench.

Cheers,
GTM

GTM said:
Another option is to wrap the cogged pulley in a shop rag and use an 18" Cannel Lock type pliers to keep it from rotating while releasing the nut. You can do the same thing with a chain wrench.

Cheers,
GTM

Went to AutoZone earlier and got me a pair of locking pliers. Put some old, used, gloves on the sprocket and had my brother hold the pliers while I'm using the impact to get it off. Took me less than 20 seconds to get it off. Thanks GTM, you've saved me from a big ass headache! And thanks to all who've replied.

Hangman said:
Went to AutoZone earlier and got me a pair of locking pliers. Put some old, used, gloves on the sprocket and had my brother hold the pliers while I'm using the impact to get it off. Took me less than 20 seconds to get it off. Thanks GTM, you've saved me from a big ass headache! And thanks to all who've replied.

You are quite welcome. If you don't have access to 150-175 psi air supply and 3/8-1/2" hose you can't develop enough intertia to break these smaller items loose. Another trick would have been if you had a used or broken cogged belt you might have been able to wrap it aroun the crank pulley and the balance/oil pump driven cog. Though to mention it last night but forgot.

You did understand that there is a blanking bolt on the side of the block which you remove and insert a round shank screwdriver which then passes through a hole in the balance shaft to lock the engine from turning and part of the timing setup. I was hesitant to mention this lest the screwdriver break and then you have damaged parts and broken screwdriver.

Anything else we might be able to help you with?

Cheers,
GTM

GTM said:
You are quite welcome. If you don't have access to 150-175 psi air supply and 3/8-1/2" hose you can't develop enough intertia to break these smaller items loose. Another trick would have been if you had a used or broken cogged belt you might have been able to wrap it aroun the crank pulley and the balance/oil pump driven cog. Though to mention it last night but forgot.

You did understand that there is a blanking bolt on the side of the block which you remove and insert a round shank screwdriver which then passes through a hole in the balance shaft to lock the engine from turning and part of the timing setup. I was hesitant to mention this lest the screwdriver break and then you have damaged parts and broken screwdriver.

Anything else we might be able to help you with?

Cheers,
GTM

Ever since I took apart this car/motor, I've seen nothing but stuck/broken bolts, rusted out parts, missing peices here and there, and whole bunch of other PIA things you could think of (the guy before me is cheap and stupid). And as of now I think I'm good, all I need to do is reassemble everything back in one peice. Again, thank you.

Oh, and yes, I do know about the hole on the side of the block but the balance shaft was removed.

Hangman said:
Ever since I took apart this car/motor, I've seen nothing but stuck/broken bolts, rusted out parts, missing peices here and there, and whole bunch of other PIA things you could think of (the guy before me is cheap and stupid). And as of now I think I'm good, all I need to do is reassemble everything back in one peice. Again, thank you.

Oh, and yes, I do know about the hole on the side of the block but the balance shaft was removed.

Electric motor, gasoline engine. :) Don't you just love shade tree mechanics that discard parts and bolts then can't figure out why it doesn't run right.

You would have played hell trying to find the hole when it doesn't exist. I've never studied the replacement balance shaft eleminator but don't remember seeing a drilled hole.

Cheers,
GTM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back