The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do you reset computer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Eclipse_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2004
Fresno, California
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone could tell me how to reset my computer or is there a link of some instuctions to do that? :dsm:

Easiest way is to disconnect your battery for a half an hour to an hour. This will reset your computer, take away a CEL, and even reset your factory radio.

Another way is to have an OBDII code reader.

Goodluck.

FYI- I believe it only takes 15-20 seconds to reset the ECU after removing the battery cable

:thumb:

Crazy E said:
FYI- I believe it only takes 15-20 seconds to reset the ECU after removing the battery cable

What he said, a few minutes is more than enough, half an hour to an hour is over kill.

i have a question about all this. since my battery was out of the car for almost 3 months during a rebuild, which would reset the computer, would this prevent my car from starting right away?

In terms of the ecu it would not, but in terms of your battery being dead it would

mysticfire6602 said:
drat, well thats one more possibility of my car not starting thrown out. i cant figure it out :(

damn, i know how that feels....sorry man

Heres a trick. You do not need to take off the negative cable from the battery. Nor any means of disconecting the battery. The 2G engine fuse box has a setup that directly powers the ECU. Why go through the hasle of taking the battery out, getting maybe a wrench when you just need to pull up on the fuse.
Open up your fuse box in the engine compartment. Look for a yellow (Thats what color its in my car) DUAL fuse holder. You will see that it has "2" 10 amp fuses inside. Pull up on the holder and the two fuses comes up with it. It does not come completely out (the holder or the fuses) Wait a few minutes than push down on the holder and your ECU receives power again. Its now reset. It also resets your factory radio. Never remove your battery cables again, unless you are changing the battery. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back