The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do you raise vehicle height?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2rallye

DSM Wiseman
Jun 7, 2003
Minneapolis, Minnesota
My 99 GST has saged over the years and now has way too much negative rear camber (and resulting toe out) which has wiped out the inside rear tires. I would like to get the car back to factory height, if that will correct the camber, or even higher (as I sometimes run checkout on pro rallys and could use more ground clearance). Is there a cheaper way to do this without buying new springs, etc?

I heard something about coil overs will adjust height. If they do, what are they, what are they primarily for, how do they work, and what's the cost? If there is an easier way to adjust height back to normal (or higher) that will correct the camber, would this be better than having to put in camber kits, etc? Or is the camber kits the way I must go? I'm experimenting with the bolt/washer mod now but of course it doesn't raise the car and I just realized that maybe just raising the car back to normal would solve all my problems.

I don't race the car. I just want minimum tire wear with normal driving. I'm willing and able to work on the car to correct this (I do all my own work and am experienced - just need a little help in this new area). Anyone have answers or ideas?

First off, the DIY rear camber kit costs about $10 in parts from Home Depot, so that's easy.

As to raising the car, you really have two general options: move the spring perch and hat closer together, or get longer and/or stiffer springs. I, personally, would get coil-overs, but it sounds like cost is an issue to you. So I'd hunt around or post a wanted for stock springs. Oodles of people have swapped for something else and would probably give you a good deal. $50 for all four would be fair.

- Jtoby

Are you he original owner? If not do you know if it already has lowering springs on it?

Could it be possible the stock shocks have gave out causing this tow out while driving because you are riding on the stregth of the springs?

Try getting camber kits for the front and back and fix your problems that way.

Originally posted by ECLIPSE4x4
Could it be possible the stock shocks have gave out causing this tow out while driving because you are riding on the stregth of the springs?

GMFB. The gas pressure in the stock shocks is nowhere near enough to have a large enough effect on ride height as to actually change the toe.

- Jtoby

Originally posted by jtmcinder
GMFB. The gas pressure in the stock shocks is nowhere near enough to have a large enough effect on ride height as to actually change the toe.

- Jtoby
exactly, The shocks are there only to control spring occisalltions. There is no real cheap way to fix this, you will still need to buy either new springs or coil overs. Once you get your desired ride height and you still have bad camber, you will need to buy a kit for the front and you can do the diy rear camber kit since you are on a budget. Then youll need an alignment to see how much off spec you are and then you can make all your adjustments

Does anyone make a coilover that has a maximum ride height higher than stock? I thought the max height on coilovers was still lower than stock.

Originally posted by Toshiro
Does anyone make a coilover that has a maximum ride height higher than stock? I thought the max height on coilovers was still lower than stock.
Re: "Are you he original owner?"

I am the original owner and the car is completely stock and never had any body damage. The shocks seem to be normal. The overall height of the car is 0.5" less than the factory spec (which is 51.0" at the roof). I have a very accurate camber gauge but not too accurate way of measuring toe-in (I'm now working on a better toe gauge - presently use a toe board and measuring tape). I measured the rear cambers at LR = -1 1/2* and RR = -2 7/8*. Rear toe is +1/2". This combination I believe is the reason for the severe wear on the insides (the worst senerio). Front cambers measured at LF = -1/8* and RF = -1 3/8*. Toe is 0.

Would someone explain or give a link to what a coilover is, looks like, used for, where it mounts, etc?

Originally posted by jtmcinder

- Jtoby

Do not put words into my mouth. I NEVER said that the shocks change the ride height

If the shocks are trashed and the car is doing nothing but riding on the strength of the springs the tires are what has to take up the shock causing sidewall flex wearing either the outside or the inside of the tire which could be viewed as too much positive or negative camber.

The combination of weak springs AND weak shock will effect tire wear.

You show me where I said it effected ride height???

if u have some money, get new shocks, springs(stock ones), or performance with a camber kit in the front and back, if ur goin performance, tiebars and upper strut bars are a good idea also

quick question, you said the factory springs have sagged over the years, and you simply want your factory ride height back and alignment settings fixed? why not just buy another set of factory springs and shocks?. that along with an alignment should fix the camber problem. if it doesnt, then try a rear camber kit to solve the problem. i doubt you'll need it.

if youre not going for performace you'll be spending alot of unneeded money on coilovers and such.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back