The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

how do you get the waste gate to open more

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95weclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2009
LaSalle, Illinois
ok i have a dumb question here but how can you get a stock 14b waste gate to open more i ground out where the flapper arm hits but it dosent matter because the waste gate actuator arm dont even move that far can you cut and re weld in a pice to make it move furthur or what

You can do nothing. The stock actuator opens to a sufficient level to control boost....having the flapper open further doesn't actually do anything at all. The area before the turbine wheel is pressurized by the exhaust; once the wastegate flapper opens....even if it opens 1/8"....the air will bleed around the flapper.

Say you have a hole in your upper rad hose, water is gushing out which is pressurized at around 13psi. If you put your finger over the hole, the leak stops....but as soon as you pull your finger away, the water will proceed to leak everywhere. Doesn't matter if your finger is 1/8" away or 5" away, the same amount of water will leak out.

Focusing more attention on porting the housing to direct the airflow toward the wastegate hole will do more in aid of boost creep prevention than modifying the actuator to open the flapper more.

Convert your 14b to a extrenal waste gate to have the best control and stop messing with a internal. That's my 2 cents That aren't worth a dime.

get a mbc, it'll open farther than you'll want to run a safe amount of boost on the 14b.

get a mbc, it'll open farther than you'll want to run a safe amount of boost on the 14b.

What does this mean?

Putting a MBC on it and upping the boost will keep the wastegate closed. Not open it further.

A longer arm will solve nothing as the diaphragm is still limited in its movement. If you wanted more movement you would have to increase the amount of movement with the diaphragm but its pointless really.

You never actually said why you wanted to do this, so..why do you want to do this?

i was just looking at it and i thought the actuator oppend untill it hit the back of the housing and when i put the actuator on and put air to it, it only opened a lil and i was like WTF and was confused and i see what every one is seying now i feel dumb as hell

A proper-functioning internal wastegate system will open the flapper fully at the pressure where the peak boost level is reached, then proceed to close as the RPMs climb in order to divert more airflow back into the turbine housing instead of around it or else the boost will taper off drastically as the RPMs climb.

Many guys run into the issue of their internal wastegate spring being too soft once a certain boost level is reached....and the actuator is not able to pull the flapper closed again as the RPM's climb and boost will drop off significantly depending on the amount of backpressure in the housing. This is more of a problem on turbos with a small turbine wheel and housing as there is more backpressure escaping through the wastegate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back