The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do i make carbon fibre parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stepmonster

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2012
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Hi there;

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make carbon fiber parts. I have seen some of the carbon fiber parts i want (mostly interior peices) on ebay and craigslist. But most of these parts were very expencive.:ohdamn: So does anyone know how until i get the money make my own carbon fibre peices for cheap. Ive considered getting carbon fibre wrap with a layer of resin and clear coat to try to get that "realistic look" without the high cost.:hmm:

Also; Does anyone have a carbon fibre hood that they are trying to sell and live close to the york' pa area?

Thank you

Hi there;

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make carbon fiber parts. I have seen some of the carbon fiber parts i want (mostly interior peices) on ebay and craigslist. But most of these parts were very expencive.:ohdamn: So does anyone know how until i get the money make my own carbon fibre peices for cheap. Ive considered getting carbon fibre wrap with a layer of resin and clear coat to try to get that "realistic look" without the high cost.:hmm:

Also; Does anyone have a carbon fibre hood that they are trying to sell and live close to the york' pa area?

Thank you
Carbon fiber pieces are expensive like youve seen on ebay and craigslist, not because people are overcharging on the labor to make them, but because carbon fiber itself is an expensive material. It's not exactly the most DIY'er friendly project from a startup, there is no kit to simply wrap it with, and say, bake it in the oven. There is many products you have to buy, like resin and hardener and a lot of misc extras to get it to look like you want it. Seeing as you don't seem to have the cash to buy real carbon fiber, id just go vinyl. It's only worth it to get all the materials if you are going to go crazy and wrap a ton of parts, headliner, ect, ect. I figured this DIY project died when a 65$ dash bezel priced you out already. Vinyl can look almost every bit as good if done right, id go that route and abandon this idea post haste.

Carbon fiber pieces are expensive like youve seen on ebay and craigslist, not because people are overcharging on the labor to make them, but because carbon fiber itself is an expensive material. It's not exactly the most DIY'er friendly project from a startup, there is no kit to simply wrap it with, and say, bake it in the oven. There is many products you have to buy, like resin and hardener and a lot of misc extras to get it to look like you want it. Seeing as you don't seem to have the cash to buy real carbon fiber, id just go vinyl. It's only worth it to get all the materials if you are going to go crazy and wrap a ton of parts, headliner, ect, ect. I figured this DIY project died when a 65$ dash bezel priced you out already. Vinyl can look almost every bit as good if done right, id go that route and abandon this idea post haste.

Ok thanks for the help, ill just wrap a few things until I get the extra money for the actual thing or to do it the right way and go all out

My suggestion is to just buy it already made. It is cool to make it yourself but I did it for a business for many years and the amount of time it takes to make one off pieces is insane. After that you end up with alot of molds just laying around cause you can't compete with china on prices of parts. There is a very steep learning curve with getting exposed carbon to be perfect. Just figure i'd let you know my experience with it and hopefully allow you to avoid spending countless hours of you life on it.

S2 glass is nearly as strong as carbon and can be had at a reasonable price. It's got a cool weave pattern like carbon too. When you make a large part you'll know why they cost so much, and if you make a small part you'll know why the aren't mass made for sale.

The only way to figure out how to do composites is to go to TAP plastics and get yourself some fiberglass and have at it. It helps to have a friend that can do it, but until you do it with your own hands and make a bunch of mistakes you'll only learn so much.

I've been looking over some ideas on the same thing for my spare hood. Has anyone had any luck with the vinyl? And where did you get it from?

EBAY..If you need wider vinal, email the seller and tell them you need it X wide by x long for a hood or something..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back