The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How do i know if my gauges are reading properly ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominasian

Proven Member
Jan 30, 2013
Aurora, Colorado
Ever since i bought my car, i am wondering if my gauges are reading properly...
So on my stock dash i had to fix my Oil Pressure gauge because it got stuck in one place, i took it apart and now it seems like its working, at least the needle is moving.
My gas tan gauge is reading very weird: After filling the entire tank with gasoline, the gauge is VERY SLOWLY getting up, can take up to 2 hours of driving befire it gets all the way up. I don't know what the problem is, but i want it fixed, if its even possible.
Now, my aftermarket gauges like AFR and Boost gauge, how do i know that they read proper numbers ?
I kinda trust my boost gauge because it never gave me problems (maybe i am just too inexperienced with cars yet)
Well and finally my AFR gauge. It jumps from left to right, how do i know that these readings are accurate and how do i know in which position the lights should light up. I know that ideally the lights should be in the middle (Orange area) but mine jumps from Fuel to Air and back (is it suppose to be this way ?) I also get different results depending on my Pedals positions... Should i take a descriptive video of my gauges ?

i know its been answered before but what is the difference between standard and wideband gauges ?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a narrow band its inaccurate invest in a wideband, you may just need another gauge cluster. Why are you not sure of what the gauges are telling you.

Well my fuel gauge does the same plus even if I filled up the tank it will never go al the way up but I've learned to live with it and also I never have full tank.
My oil pressure guage was stuck as well I fix it but after a while y unplug it and I start using an aftermarket one. Get rid of tha afr guage and get a wideband. Our cluster is not the most accurate out there I shouldn't be worried.

Well i am worried because i dont know for sure whether i am running rich or lean. Gas is something i can live with and Oil pressure is something i am not worried about too because its not that big of a deal for now since my car is almost stock except cat back and Garrett T28. AFR gauge may be accurate i just don't know how to read it for example in what position the gauge should be after accelerating, decelerating, or on neutral rolling down the hill. Boost gauge like i said is working and seems to be accurate at this point. Although i have had some questions about it too, When i am boosting lets say at 14 PSI, then my gauge will roll to 15 and then get back down to 14, is this normal ? I know i have a boost leak that i am waiting to be fixed but for now, is it how it suppose to read or its just a small mistake that i shouldn't even be worried about ?

Like you were previously advised, ditch the narrowband AFR gauge and get a wideband. The narrowband reads the signal from the stock O2 sensor which is constantly switching voltage hi and lo around 14.7, so the narrowband will bounce around a lot, especially as load changes. Completely useless except as a light show. Until you fix your known boost leak, forget about trying to figure out anything else boost related, though it sounds like a slight creep problem. As to the stock gauges, you can pick up whole replacement clusters cheap and if that doesn't fix it, you have a spare and know to look at sensors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back