The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G How do I fix the 'wave' in the center of my bumper cover? Pic Inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyEclipse98

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Hey,

The previous owner caught the bumper on a parking cement bumper thing. When she backed up, it tweaked the bumper causing a crack and a wave to appear in the center. How can I fix this? Could I heat it up, attach a few wood clamps and hope it stays? Or should I attach wood clamps and then spray hardening foam instillation on the backside to stiffen it up again?

Advice on fixing the crack would be nice as well. I think though it would be easy to do with a dremel and epoxy sealant.

Attachments

• 00G0G_5R9f7pGLzID_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_5R9f7pGLzID_600x450.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 151
Take it off and place it inside your car on a really hot day (95+ works best, the hotter the better) and leave it there. That will take dents and waves out of most bumpers. The crack will have to be ground out and filled.

It's off the car and ready to be dealt with. I have a torch I can use. Do I need to press it down in any way for it to take shape again? Or will just heating it be good enough? Should I just encourage it with my hands?

That's what she said.

Just be sure to take your time. Don't heat in one spot to long. It's been awhile since I did mine and it was way worse than yours looks. Pretty sure it just started going back into shape on its own. I really don't rem having to use anything else. I do rem being really suprised how easy it went back into shape. And was kicking myself for not doing it years before haha. Yours seems like it will go back easy! ;)

Sweet hopefully. Mine has been this way for at least 3 years if I understood the PO correctly. Will report back with what happens. Should go well.

You guys were right. The wave came out naturally after about a week of it being off the car. Thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back