The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

How do I change the paint color of my car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo_Frog

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2003
TexasUS
Im pretty good at Photoshop but for some odd reason I've been trying to figure out how to change the paint color of my car and keep the same reflections and everything, I just cant do it. I need any help I can get, I've tried the tutorial on photshopchop.com and still no luck. Someone help.

I can get it to where it looks flat like this......(found this pic in another photoshop thread)

Attachments

• punish.jpg
    punish.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 238
LOL I had to much gamma...(since I play CS) but damn here at my work computer I really see how damn dark it is... sorry for that pic... what a shame...:D LOL + bad cuting...

1. Outline the car with the polygonal lasso tool
2. hit ctrl+c
3. hit ctrl+v
4. up top, click on Image > Adjustments > Desaturate
5. Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation
6. click the check box beside Colorize
7. Play with the sliders until you get the color you want
8. erase stuff such as the headlights, windows, etc on the new layer that u dont want colored by using the polygonal lasso tool again and outlining them one at a time and hitting delete or backspace

^^^
That's basically the way most people do it, except I cut EVERYTHING I don't want colored out of my selection before I copy it to a new layer so I don't do any erasing later.

Andother way to do it is to select the car, create a new empty layer, fill with a color, and change the layer properties to overlay. It's harder to get the color the way you want it that way which is why I use the previous method most of the time.

i thought id give it a shot, not the best

Attachments

• 22053car_1_resized_.jpg
    22053car_1_resized_.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 220
LOL damn i dont know why it showed up like that on here, looked different on photoshop, oh well now ya got a chameleon paint job LOL

my try

Attachments

• 22053car_1_resized_.jpg
    22053car_1_resized_.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 216
what do you thing about mine.. :p :p :p :p
for putting my pic up... :D

Attachments

• turosss.jpg
    turosss.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 198
Originally posted by IHeartTurbo
1. Outline the car with the polygonal lasso tool
2. hit ctrl+c
3. hit ctrl+v
4. up top, click on Image > Adjustments > Desaturate
5. Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation
6. click the check box beside Colorize
7. Play with the sliders until you get the color you want
8. erase stuff such as the headlights, windows, etc on the new layer that u dont want colored by using the polygonal lasso tool again and outlining them one at a time and hitting delete or backspace

Perfect......Thanks man! I'll give it a shot and post it later

and if it doesn't look right when you do it, keep playing around with the saturation and brightness (or lightness, whatever it is). Sometimes it also helps to duplicate the recently colored layer or the desaturated layer, put it on top, and change the mode to hard light. It helps get the highlights and shadows to show up better.

edit: and white cars are hard to color. Not a whole lot of contrast to to give it shape.

I know its not the add a mod game, but thought I would give it a try.

Attachments

• addamod.jpg
    addamod.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 130
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back