The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How did you mount your plate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperhemi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2012
White Plains, Maryland
Hey guys, eclipse is ready for the road now. Put the rear license plate on and then walked to the front, im not drilling through the front of this new bumper(cover)! How have you mounted your front plate? I know it may be a rediculous question but definetely need ideas. Behind the bumper cover is the black bumper itself....is that safe to drill into? (If i decide to drill into the underside of it and let the tag hang down where an intercooler would normally be) Thanks!

If i decide to drill into the underside of it and let the tag hang down where an intercooler would normally be)
Might have to mount it high since you don't want it down there in the airflow. For that plate will act like a big air dam pushing air to the sides and not enough air will flow through the radiator and FMIC..... and you'll overheat in a quick.

There should be a factory bracket that uses three, 12mm bolts that mounts to the inner bumper from underneath so you can mount a front plate above the intake. Thus, no drilling will be necessary.

My 95 Talon came with a front tag bracket that still fit with the 97-99 front bumper. Bolts to the crash bar and curves up around the bumper. No drilling holes in the bumper and it doesn't touch it anywhere.

My friend got away with his front tag stuck between the dash and windshield for a while. Everytime he got pulled over the officer would make a comment about his tag not being mounted. Never got a ticket for it but he was constantly being hassled about it.

You could make a bracket to come out under the bumper and attach the tag to it some states dont have to have front tags

I have been lucky and not gotten in trouble for not having a front plate, but it could give a cop an excuse to pull you over and catch you for other stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back