The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How did you break in your stage 4 xtd clutch?(searched)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compound turbo 550whp huge torque and 4th gear clutch dump power skids, this was the good side the other was missing more pucks. It wasn't slipping, just getting impossible to change gears. I would buy again as $ value it was great, just in this abusive application It was the right clutch to choose.

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 187
What are you guys doing to these clutches? LOL. It's installer error. A wet paper towel should hold a 16g at psi. I really don't get it.

Seems like the same people that have problems with these clutches are the same people that, can't keep a car together in general.

I don't know what can be harder on a clutch than doing burnouts with a 3400lb AWD with 550whp. I've been running them since 2008, and had several of them, and never had a bad one. If they would make a 2900lb PP, I'd still run one.

After more than a dozen DSMs and more clutch jobs (both on mine and other vehicles) I can hardly believe it was an installation error. Flywheel was resurfaced to spec, clutch was installed without an leaking fluids or foreign materials introduced to it's surfaces, and all bolts were torqued to spec and in proper sequence. I can imagine that there are people who have done fine by just tossing a clutch on a dirty surface or with grease smeared on it, but when you go by the book and it fails then something is up with, at least, that individual clutch.

As for the "Seems like the same people that have problems with these clutches are the same people that, can't keep a car together in general." bit, the car runs flawlessly save for the clutch giving way. :) I sure appreciate the concern. I've never had an issue keeping a vehicle running, but we all have issues with things giving way and requiring replacement. Perhaps this clutch in particular should simply be used to go out, toss in a car, beat on for a few passes, and then that's it. I don't know - Mine lasted 500-507 miles (where I parked it at) and wasn't abused, installed incorrectly, or introduced to anything like grease or oil.

As soon as I can get get to the shop either this weekend or next, I'll snag pictures. For now, just take my information as a testers findings. It doesn't matter how long yours lasted or how you beat on it - just note that this is a failure under typical conditions which the company states the clutch should be able to handle out of the box.

Compound turbo 550whp huge torque and 4th gear clutch dump power skids, this was the good side the other was missing more pucks. It wasn't slipping, just getting impossible to change gears. I would buy again as $ value it was great, just in this abusive application It was the right clutch to choose.

Awesome. I hear positive things all over about the unsprung version. I was running the sprung version. Good information!

Something had to cause the clutch to fail, you probably wont be able to figure it out until you pull it apart and inspect the disc. I would still measure the step on your flywheel to verify that it was correct. Also you did have your master cylinder adjusted correctly right? And you verified that the slave was able to be pushed back into the bore after adjusting the master?

Just to add, I have 13.5k miles on my XTD clutch that I put in when I rebuilt my motor last november. Not to mention I'm also running the XTD prolite flywheel. Clutch grabs great, no chatter, no noises, no slipping. I run 18lbs on a TD05 20G, and beat the crap out of the clutch, without any problems.
Also to add, ONLY GET STAGE 4 like everyone said, the rest are oem pressure plates spray painted. Although, after first ordering a stage 3 and being disappointed with the floppy clutch pedal, I called up Amicoclutch who is the ebay seller for these clutches, and he sent me a stage 4 pressure plate AND 6 puck clutch disc for free, and didn't make me return the old clutch or pay for shipping. Got to my doorstep in 3 days after hanging up the phone.

I have no idea why everyone has this fixation with babying a clutch i have never broke one in in any of my cars.

Yea I never really break my motor or clutches in, I usually romp on it hard and haven't had any problems with my current motor or my ACT

Sure it does. How does you telling me your xtd clutch holds 23 psi all day reinforce anything about the quality. Hey guess what? The stock clutch does that too!

23psi on what turbo? You guys are asking the wrong questions and bringing the wrong points to light here.

23psi on your tdo4 housing or 23psi on a gt45r? I wanna see your stock clutch hold 23psi on a gt45.

*Fixed that for you.*
4 of them? For the damn near $800 bucks you could of got a clutch made in the usa, by our supporting members and most likely still be using the first clutch.

Who cares about made in USA other than certain flavors of rednecks. Keep in mind I'm a native Texan before you start in about what it means to be American.

^^^ I went quite a bit faster than you on one.
xtd stage 4 sprung hub street tires 11.85 @122 , well over 100 passes on it, and 10000mi, disc was starting to come apart. (I made 16 12.0 passes in an hr period one day, that's hard on a clutch)
xtd stage 4 solid disc street tires : 11.75@121, well over 50 passes and 10000 street miles. rivets were loose.
xtd stage 4 sprung hub street tires: 11.15@130, at least 100 launches it would slip bad if it got hot.
repaired above xtd solid hub 6 puck act 2600 : 11.09@137 street tires 10.99@130 slicks. 30 more passes and 3000 more street miles.
reused from above xtd sprung hub 6 puck act 2600: 10.86@131
xtd sprung hub 6 puck act 2900 slicks: About 30 test hits and the disc looks new still.

As you can see, I've run a few of these, and I run them hard. I have never had a disc fail. Some were close, but never failed. Putting 500whp thru a 9" clutch requires frequent inspection. If you don't like that pick a different car to play with. I'm fairly tired of people who can't get them to work bitching about it. Learn how to install a damn clutch and trans.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna put another unsprung stage 4 in the car and see if I can get a 10 with it. I would use the unsprung, but it doesn't hold quite as well as a solid.

Also, I ran a ACT unsprung 4 puck, and it spit the pucks off it in 3 passes. 11.50's @125.

Also to add, ONLY GET STAGE 4 like everyone said, the rest are oem pressure plates spray painted.

I don't know what they do, but I will tell you that the 2300lb pressure plate is about 2200lbs, and a stock oem mitsu pressure plate out of a 90 laser rst with 100K mi on it measures 2200lbs and maintains the clamp load for a greater ammount of disc thickness.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back