The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How did I ever live without (insert xyz) tool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I've been looking for new ratchets and I thought some of you might interject any tool that is useful, cool, innovative etc.

I don't have many "cool" tools but a few I knew I couldn't live without once had them are a 20 ton shop press and oddly a small dental tool. Not a pick mind you but just a small pointy (ish) side and a flat blade (hockey stick head) shape on the other. Difficult to bend also.
I haven't been able to find another one this tough.
Gotta tell this story too. I found this thing under the cowl of my original 1g purchased at 35k miles. I had complete service records with no glass replacement so this had to have happened when the car was originally built in Normal.

It counts as a tool just not with cars, so I’m saying it anyway

My Littmann Stethoscope. OMG what a difference it made over the el cheapo dual tube units I was using before. Can hear even the weakest pulse through damn near a jacket. Love it, don’t know how I lived without it before now.

It counts as a tool just not with cars, so I’m saying it anyway

My Littmann Stethoscope. OMG what a difference it made over the el cheapo dual tube units I was using before. Can hear even the weakest pulse through damn near a jacket. Love it, don’t know how I lived without it before now.
Interesting, how have you used it?

- My $45 Actron CP9125 basic OBD2 code reader. Way cheaper than all the $100+ ones when all you need is the basic code and ability to clear it. There's even a cheaper one out now.
- My $19 Krikit accessory belt tension gauge.
- Metric and SAE nut driver screwdriver sets for smaller nuts (instead of fidgeting with wobbling racket, extension, and sockets).
- 1/4 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2, 1/2 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/4 adapters (for racket extensions).
- Magnetic pickup tool and small mirror.

Last edited:
I bought a cheap 3d printer just to experiment around with interior parts and whatnot. It’s turned into one of my main tools for stuff like building brackets and jigs.
I've found a 3D printer to be incredible to have for replacing small interior pieces. Here's a tip for prototyping, you can download 3D models and 2D drawings from McMaster-Carr. For example, lets say you're prototyping something that uses a specific gear but you don't want to buy it because it's just a prototype and you may use a different gear in the future. Well, you download the STL file for that gear from McMaster-Carr and then 3D print it to test its compatibility. If that gear eventually makes it to the final iteration, you can buy the actual part. If it doesn't, it only cost you a couple of cents in printing material.

- My $19 Krikit accessory belt tension gauge.
Such a good tool to have. No more belts squealing for me.

As basic as they are, my bench vise and my air compressor. I lived without them for years because I always lived in an apartment. I did have a small pancake compressor, but it was loud as hell and couldn't do much.

I probably don't have to explain why these tools are useful to you guys LOL But once I bought a house with a small garage, I started accumulating bigger tools. Bought the compressor and vise the first year I lived in the house and have been happier ever since!

Last edited:
I was recently gifted one of these, for working in dimly lit situations, it works great, is USB rechargeable, I keep it in my car on a power outlet charger and it keeps it charged, it's vary light weight, and reduces eye strain just don't look at another person with it on it's vary bright.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I need some quick disconnect tools. Specifically the e clip jiffy tite ones, not the push style. I had to do some today and remove the clips. What a pain.

In other news I bought a cheap ass 3 shelf red cart awhile back. Now I load tools onto it and wheel it right up to the car. Parts and hardware go on the shelves instead of the car fenders etc. Soooo much better to work this way.

How have ratcheting wrenches not been mentioned yet? When you are a young kid just building your hoard of tools these were a major upgrade. The days of busting your knuckles doing 1/4 turns on some bolt hidden in the depths of the engine bay for 20 mins were over.

Well, hands down, for me it is my lift in my shop. I would be so sore and just put things off if I didn't have it. I loved my favorite "shade tree" but this was the best $1800 I could have ever spent. It gets used almost daily for something. It is holding up progress currently as we have a 1986 Z28 with a bad MSD hall effect distributor that came in my sons Holley EFI Sniper kit (around $2000 for EFI, Distributor, Coil, CDI box and Fuel pump). MSD just got the dizzy back in warranty department yesterday so as soon as it comes back and is all good, it gets reinstalled and we get to go have some bracket racing fun (but I get the lift then and I have to R&R my auto AWD trans, bummer).
Not just cars go on it, my Super Z mower has been on it to change mandrels, clutches etc and we, of course, do things that the "warning" label says not to do like lift a motor on 1 arm and put it in the back of a truck or put a car on it and use the weight to brake a tire loose from a rim (yes we did that).
I LOVE MY LIFT :thumb:

Like danl said the knipex pliers are next level. I'm a diesel tech and sometimes I risk impulse buys. One of which turned out to be a set of those pliers. I even got the 36" pair. So helpful!

For me I'd say the power probe tek pod light set. (PPMWL1000).

Because I lost it and now am going to have to do a timing belt job with a pair of pliers again..

My Jays Racing tensioner pulley tool. That tiny little thing saved so much aggravation that I am now about to re-live.

Basic tool but this is a game changer for what it is needed for.
Lisle Spill Free Funnel Thread- Model 24680
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Im not normally this kind of person but..... The internet! Its helped me learn so much. Yes before i used to tinker and get hands on and tear things apart to figure out how to fix it and i still do this sometimes now but the internet has got me further then i would ever have gotten as its taught me many things from CAD to learning printing and also welding and house tips for building etc. Its a good useful tool if used in the right manor and reasons ( not only fans ) LOL

Had the internet not been here i might not of learnt CAD as easily and building work around the house etc. So has helped loads over the years for me.

Plus I get to talk to so many friends and family from here and else where!
And biggest thing is!!!!! Where would I be without DSMTuners in my life!!!!!!!!!! Crazy to wonder this!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back