The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How come some people are against modding cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avw0516

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2005
cleveland, Ohio
Alright so just about an hour ago I was installing a cold air intake for my friend who drives a 1993 BMW 325is (coupe with a 3.0L Inline 6). We couldn't figure out how to remove his stock air box as the thing was like sealed shut and he forgot his haynes manual so he decided to call the guy who works in a garage and does everything on the car for them. I just asked the guy how to remove the stock air box (the sealed peice on the top) and he flipped out. He began to tell me how it was a "cheap peice of crap" because my friend bought it off the internet and how it would make him lose horsepower. I looked over the intake and it is actually a fairly nice one, all the welds for the sensor bungs look good and the pipes are bead rolled. I don't see how it's possible for a less restrictive intake to make him lose horsepower but maybe without an aftermarket exhaust it will have a bit more back pressure, even a new muffler would eleminate this. My friend doesn't know a whole lot about cars (as I was installing an intake for him) and he just wants some low buck performance mods that make the car more fun to drive, granted the intake muffler combo may free up 5 wheel horsepower but the car will be more enjoyable for him to drive with the new noises. I just don't understand how someone can flip out about modifying your car, I mean its my friends car, let him do what he wants to right? Sorry, I just kind of needed to vent as I was the one on the phone with this guy and he was a total **** to me.

thats when you tell the guy what you tell any person who disagrees with what you want to do.

you give him the good news.

Some people are just out there. Thankfully not every person is like that.

repair shops are 99% of the time AGAINST mods cause their sole purpose in life is to FIX cars that are broken, not make them faster.

im going to have it out with the service place that just fixed my sisters Tbird(my old car). the CEL came on, she tells me her mileage sucks, and it smells like rotten eggs, both issues that point to clogged/fubar'd Catalytics. and at 120k, this is a definate probability. she took it to them, and they did the usual "MAF is dirty, we cleaned it and reset the ecu, CEL didnt come back on, car drives fine" well thanks captian obvious. you pulled a fuse, sprayed carb cleaner on the maf and charged my sister 300 bucks that didnt resolve the issue, and was just a temporary band-aid fix. im buying some cats off ebay and a new set of o2 sensors and are gonna chuck them at the service managers head.

The shop I work for part time loves to mod vehicles because it means they can make more money. Usually when you are putting custom parts on a car you can add to the labor times and therefore make more money. I don't agree with that philosophy but hey, it means I get allot of cheap mandrel bends. Most of the custom work they do is for diesels.

Who cares what other people think?! You like it, do it. Next time someone gives you modding is bad speech, tell them "My car, my money, my time, STFU". Damn. :mad:

I get this from my wife and everyone in her family. Why you getting an exhaust? Do you really need a faster car? WTF It pisses me off everytime.

End of Rant.

i can tell you from working at a garage that modded cars are usually more of a pain to work and and diagnose. BUT we get to charge more to install custom stuff so we do it every once in a while.

I dont usually discuss modding cars with people for two reasons. A. Tehy will always have the friend that had 800Hp civic,, mustang whatever..... B. The have no interest whatsoever.

I just go about my way putting on parts for me.

Also alot of people just dont see the point in it, they figure, you wont get the money back that you put into it so whats the point.

I am against people that mod their daily drivers and then bi*** about it when the car breaks down. You are putting the car out of its factory settings, so of course things are gonna break.

Other than that I don't see a problem with modding cars.

My favorite thing is when someone tells me that modding my car is stupid, or a waste of time. Then that person either get into a lifted truck, or gets into a modded V8 of some sort. It makes me laugh, so I just continue in my own little bubble and call them 不愉快な
偽善者^^

well i know how this is about doing mod.s on a car have heard all the cons about it being if the company wanted that way they would have done it that way in the first place.well the company has restrictions placed on them by the fed's so they can't and won't go against them so its up to us the owners to do any mod's or a shop we can take them too.and that was what i have done most of my life is modify cars of all make's and models when i car came into my shop even if it was for a valve job i would always do a light port job and a three angle valve job or now a seven angle valve job on it so it had more power then it did when it was new.so i would say to those that we should'nt modify our cars then ask yourself this where would we be right now if it was'nt for the old hotrodders of yester year that did there own modifying back then where the companys came to them to find the secrets to speed and safety.:dsm:

BLUEBLOTCH said:
I dont usually discuss modding cars with people for two reasons. A. Tehy will always have the friend that had 800Hp civic,, mustang whatever..... B. The have no interest whatsoever.

Lol me too, if they ask anything I'll be super vague about my car.

If I start talking about what my car really has, most people stare at me :confused: and have absolutely no idea what I just said. Then out comes the BS as they try to not look retarded.

I would have told the mechanic guy on the phone "I didnt ask for your opinion, just how to take the f***ing air box apart" and hung up while he was ranting.

-Seth

sbiggi said:
I would have told the mechanic guy on the phone "I didnt ask for your opinion, just how to take the f***ing air box apart" and hung up while he was ranting.
-Seth

Actually thats basically what I did. Today I put the intake on his car after thinking about it for a while. Then afterwards I put my other friends intake on his '99 eclipse gs, working on dsm's is like sex compared to working on dsm's. :D

Most people are just jealous because there either to broke or to stupid to modify there car.

I don't know if this is the case with his BMW, but I know my mom's old car (1989 BMW 535i 5 speed) everyone on the forums says that the stock airbox is better than an open-element filter, and that you should only use a K&N drop-in filter but retain the stock airbox. There was actually a pretty extensive comparison done betwen the stock and an aftermarket open-element. The stock airbox is VERY well designed, and is very effecient in allowing a lot of air to enter the airbox and keep it cold. An open-element actually nets lower horsepower on that BMW. Maybe this is the case with your friend's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back