The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G How bad is this? Frame Rail Bent

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
A previous owner crunched the front frame rail on the driver side. The front of the drip rail on the driver side is bent too. I don't see any other damage, so I am assuming it was a jack or hoist accident. The passenger side looks pretty good, maybe with a slight indentation, but the driver side looks like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have zero experience with bodywork, so I'm hoping these pictures are adequate. It will probably be a while before I can get the car into the body shop on account of all the deferred maintenance the previous owner left me, LOL.

Does this look repairable? Is it worth worrying about?

From what I can tell that is very minimal and should have no effect on anything. Like you said probably from jacks or lift, more cosmetic than anything.

My 1g has about that much damage on both center frame rails. I’ve had the seats and carpet out, and there is a little bulge in the floor pan, but not too bad. Seems to drive fine, nonetheless. As I redid my interior, I left the tar sound deadening off the front cabin. So I might fix it at some point, but many priorities before that. Two ways I considered was drilling some holes in the rail and pulling it, or cutting open the floor and pounding it. Either way requires somw welding, and runs the risk of future rust issues, since access ultimately is kind of trapped inside the rail. I’m no body repair man, so perhaps there is a better way.

I got the same problem. From outside, the car is perfect (minus paint), no dents, dings, or blemishes. Look under the car and the same floor pan channels are dicked up plus the floor pan on the back sides of both front wheel wells are dented into the cabin. It's not something most would notice unless you've owned these cars for a long time and can tell there's a bit less foot space.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back