The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Hose clamp on shifter cable....could this be causing all my problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ejnovinsky

Probationary Member
Dec 16, 2011
Bowling Green, Ohio
Trying to figure out what this hose clamp is doing here....there is a rubber boot around the shift cable where it meet this bracket usually held in place by a clip.
Obviously at some point the clip came off, and was replaced with a hose clamp. Is this possibly what is causing all my shifting issues? The car was hard to get into 1st and second...no grinding just didnt feel like it was going in, now 3rd is starting to act up to. Same thing, no grinds, but wont slot in....What does the rubber part do? this linkage/cable feels much looser than the other. I see also 2nd gen Talons such as mine do not have a cable adjustment.....So what is the fix here? a new cable? Thanks!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 96
I agree, that cable is junk. Someone put the clamp there after it separated to hold it together.

This exact same thing happened to my friend's 97 talon tsi.

By putting in a clamp is it ok to run it like that or is it really required to shell out the $$ for another set of cables ?

My previous owner zip tied it together...LOL ROFL yeah its not safe at all. Though, that clamp is better than what i got to start with.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back