The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Horrible vibration. 4 bolt swap, and car has been sitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momar

10+ Year Contributor
May 31, 2010
Decatur, Illinois
Well, My car had been down for several months. I did a ton of work to it all around. I finally have it running and mostly back together. I took it for a test drive and have a horrible vibration. It is hard to tell exactly where it is coming from.

I did a 4 bolt swap while I was doing all of my work to the car, so I wonder if maybe if it could be one of the axles, or if it is possible that the driveshaft needs to be facing a certain way to balance properly(like turned 180 degrees).

Also, since the car has been sitting for a few months, I also wondered if maybe it could be flat spots on the tires. Not sure though.

Any suggestions how to narrow this down. It feels like it is probably coming from the center to maybe rear of car. The whole car shakes though, so hard to tell exactly. You dont feel it and very slow speeds, but once you get moving, it gets worse the faster you go. Any help or suggestions on things to check woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Did you rebuild or take apart the driveshaft durring the swap? is it viberating under light throttle or only during a fast take off or WOT pull?

No, I did not rebuild or take apart driveshaft. It vibrates anytime it is moving at a speed above parking lot speed. Have not even tried wot pull. LOL. It sitll does it coasting in neutral too, so it is not acceleration related.

Check the yokes of the shaft. If they are stuck at all, or difficult to move, that may be your problem. They need to be able to move in all directions freely.

Was the t-case input splines ok as well as the output shaft of the transmission? They could of stripped and what your feeling is the slipping of the splines.

The splines are fine. I will have to unbolt shaft to see if you're move freely.

I took wheels off an put them on my other car and other car does not vibrate like that so I don't think it's tires anyway.

I have seen drive shafts out of balance cause that problem. If it's not the tires then it is more than likely the drive shaft is out of balance. Very seldom does this occur but, it is possible because the weight can sling off and the shaft can become unbalanced. If you did not mark the drive shaft before you had removed it, then that could be a problem with trying to realign it back to where it originally was. Also, I would check the u-joints and make sure you don't have one that is seizing up, but a bad u-joint will more than likely make some kind of noise and can cause a vibration. Drive axle shafts (CV joints) don't have to be aligned any certain way so I would not worry about those just yet. You can rotate the drive shaft to see if it helps but it is going to be trial and error. Just remember to mark the shaft and rotate it, remembering where you started from and go from there.

I will check the.joints. the rear flange is the.only part of driveshaft I had loose. I think I will try turning it around 180 degrees.

I have seen drive shafts out of balance cause that problem. If it's not the tires then it is more than likely the drive shaft is out of balance. Very seldom does this occur but, it is possible because the weight can sling off and the shaft can become unbalanced. If you did not mark the drive shaft before you had removed it, then that could be a problem with trying to realign it back to where it originally was. Also, I would check the u-joints and make sure you don't have one that is seizing up, but a bad u-joint will more than likely make some kind of noise and can cause a vibration. Drive axle shafts (CV joints) don't have to be aligned any certain way so I would not worry about those just yet. You can rotate the drive shaft to see if it helps but it is going to be trial and error. Just remember to mark the shaft and rotate it, remembering where you started from and go from there.

Well, my rear u joint is binding pretty bad. You can feel it catch when you move it both directions. Pretty sure this is my problem. The front one is starting to do it too in one direction. I put my friends driveshaft in so I can test it, but I have to swap my wheels back first, because the ones that are on it at the moment are not the same size front to rear so I cant drive it. I am pretty positive that this will fix it though.

First off, no that did not fix it at all. No difference with completely different driveshaft.

As far as the carrier bearing shims, I had never dropped the driveshaft until yesterday. I had only unbolted the flange from the diff. I put the new one in with the bushings the same way as they were on the other shaft. Still exactly the same.

I actually got into the throttle a little bit when I test drove it this time, and it felt BAD. it feels like something is way out of balance or about to come apart. Kind of like if someone didnt tighten the lugnuts or something. I cant find anything loose though.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Flat spots on the tires (although you checked them) would cause you to feel the vibration in the wheel and not just the car. Does the wheel move slightly from side to side while driving?

And this is just a straight shot in the dark, but maybe you have warped brake rotors somewhere?

Could check wheel bearings and ball joints as well. And in that down time did you put polly motor mounts in? Or change a timing belt, if so the balance shaft could be 180 out.

Dont particularly feel it in wheel. Feels like it is coming from car. Did not notice car moving side to side. It is a very violent vibration, so I have not really drove it farther than a couple blocks at a time.

And it is not brake rotors. It is during acceleration and coasting, not braking.

I was actually thinking of checking the rear wheel bearings. Wish I would have checked it when I was there tonight. Did not do a timing belt. Already has polly motor mounts, and balance shafts are deleted. So its not that. It is vehicle speed related, and still does it in neutral while coasting, so it is in the driveline somewhere.

Anyone ever had an axle do anything like this? I did a 4 bolt swap, and think there is a strong possibility, that it is related to that in some way. Wondered if maybe one of the axles has a problem?

i've had same problem before.. was a bad axel..(driver front) grab the axle shafts in the center of them and push back and forward.. any movement more then an 1/8 inch shows wear. might not sound like alot ..but it is... mine would shake soo bad. it would almost send me off the road!!
you did say you just installed a 4 bolt.. i bet theres a bad axel back there.

I actually have done like what you say with the axle. One of them does have a little play. I dont know if it is more than 1/8 of an inch though. The other one I couldnt move at all.

I actually have done like what you say with the axle. One of them does have a little play. I dont know if it is more than 1/8 of an inch though. The other one I couldnt move at all.

id get the car off the ground and try some low speed movement.. see if you can spot anything odd

what about the front axels? and yes in the car they shoul'dt move really at all

id get the car off the ground and try some low speed movement.. see if you can spot anything odd

what about the front axels? and yes in the car they shoul'dt move really at all

That is what I have wanted to do. I was trying to get it on a lift, but havent been able to work that out yet.

I have a set of axles coming. I am pretty sure that has to.be the problem.

Ok. I was wrong. I am pretty sure I am pissed off by now but thats all I am sure of. Car has new axles, and my buddys rebuilt driveshaft in it and has the same problem.

I can not emphasize how violent this vibration is. Feels almost like something is banging on the floor. Or like a wheel is only held on by 2 lugnuts that are backed halfway off. LOL. When I get to go mess with it again the only thing that I had changed, that I havent changed again is the actual rear diff. I am going to check to make sure there is no slop in the pinion, and make sure of the same at the rear of the transfer case.

Any suggestions are still welcome.

Thanks

Could it possibly be the rear itself? It is the only thing you changed to cause the vibrations correct? Was it a known good unit when you got it?

You have a welded center differential, that may cause some excess vibration if your not used to it. What kind of motor mounts do you have? If they are OEM rubber, those things break and sh*t vibrates and moves more than it should. What about balance shafts, do you have those still? What all did you do to your car before you "finished"?

Make sure you smacked the axles into the trans untill they "pop" in well the one side at least the short shaft is the only one that pops in. Try real fast when you get a chance pop your wheel off loosen the axle nut a bit like 1/4" and smack those front axles into the trans with some wood and a mallet right on the tip of the spline just make sure not to damage the threads also things to check.... carrier barring support, u joints, drive shaft hoop, loose trans bolts, loose rear diff bolts. just my 2 Cents Good luck!!

As far as the rear, diff, yes I am wondering about it, but havent got a chance to check it out yet. It is the only thing I had changed in the driveline that I havent changed again. I have a different driveshaft and rear axles in it now. This is my strongest suspicion right now.

As far as the front axles being popped in, they are. I have not removed them since the car was drivable before.

Polly motor mounts and no balance shafts, but it has been that way since before I did the last round of mods so not really a suspicion. Also it is only while moving. I can free rev it and nothing. Aso the center diff has been welded since I first put the car together. Never had it any other way so I am used to it. It only really causes issues turning in parking lots, and it is nothing like whats going on now.

It is driveline related, and as far as I can see the only thing left that I had changed was the actual rear diff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back