The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

horrible problem after timing belt change

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I really would like a answer on the electrical question so I can check the ecu. Il be checking timing this Thursday since I learned piston 1 has to be a tdc for a timing belt replace. Maybe that's where mosers f***ed up at.

Update: had a mechanic with a stethoscope check out my car. Turns out I need a head rebuild.:cry: thanks for the assistance guys.:D

I took the time to revisit this. Did you verify mechanical timing by removing the covers? Or did you do a proper compression and leak down test? Mechanics stethoscope will not tell you head is bad. You are chasing a multitude of problems all over the car from your posts.

I took the time to revisit this. Did you verify mechanical timing by removing the covers? Or did you do a proper compression and leak down test? Mechanics stethoscope will not tell you head is bad. You are chasing a multitude of problems all over the car from your posts.

With how bad it sounds when running I'm honestly terrified to do a compression test. For got to say that last night. Was tired.

Taking off the timing cover is today. I have to remove the pulleys to get off the cover, correct?

And no idea how to do leak down and I'm quite certain I don't have the things for that.

Just take the top timing cover off, pull #1 spark plug, insert an extension and rotate the engine clockwise until the piston is at the top. Check the alignment marks on your cams. If they aren't lined up straight across, you are out of mechanical time.

The only thing the shop can tell by putting a scope in is if you have a burnt valve or a hole in a piston.

Pretty sure autozone rents a compression tester.

Just take the top timing cover off, pull #1 spark plug, insert an extension and rotate the engine clockwise until the piston is at the top. Check the alignment marks on your cams. If they aren't lined up straight across, you are out of mechanical time.

The only thing the shop can tell by putting a scope in is if you have a burnt valve or a hole in a piston.

Pretty sure autozone rents a compression tester.

Did that. It is. Could the crank be off by a tooth?

If the piston is at TDC and the marks line up, mechanical timing is OK. The mark may not line up on the front cover if your harmonic balancer is bad and has slipped on it's ring. It could show timing being off when all that really happened is the mark slipped. With the piston at TDC it doesn't matter what the mark on the timing cover says, if the marks are lined up timing is correct.

I would do a compression check and see what the numbers are and go from there.

Alright. for the starter. Negative to negative then positive/solenoid wire to positive post. correct.

Gotta quit taking your car to mosers :) Seems like you always have more problems after your visit there :D
Go to Valpo or Wheatfield if you need a better shop!

Gotta quit taking your car to mosers :) Seems like you always have more problems after your visit there :D
Go to Valpo or Wheatfield if you need a better shop!

After this. Never again to mosers. Ever. Worst mistake.

Expensive mistake :)

They got kouts by the balls since they are the only auto shop in town.
Never trust a monopoly :)

Talk with their mechanics not moser up front, ask them simple technical questions, get their response, make your decision!
Seems they give away ASE patches now!

Yea they have that option to make payments which is cool, but you can't beat doing the work yourself! You learn and don't have to redo someone else's work! Plus at the end of the job you usually have another tool to add to your collection!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back