The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Horrible dyno tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would forget this ever happen, never let that guy near your car ever again. And have my1gdsm get you back on track and boosting safely!! Why in the world would someone zero out timjng just to get higher boost pressure. :ohdamn: I would rather have a mean timing curve and be making great power on lower boost than ever try and have high boost and no timing! That's what I don't get, this guy really doesn't understand what's going on if you ask me! Sounds like he thought he was setting base timing or something and was thinking oh I'll just zero it out that should help! :heystupid: Lol oh boy!! Bro I'm glad your engine is ok and nothing melted or came flying out the bottom!

Bpr7es gapped .024. Boost leak test is solid and I'm on sd. 3rd did fine ### it was already tuned for 22 psi. He just kept adding fuel to richen it up. Which did nothing for the knock. He actually asked me how much boost it was running in the pull. He said it was too high for pump but still didn't turn it down. He asked me if you could turn it down just in 4th. I'm not the damn tuner here. He ended up doing a pull from bottom of 3rd to top of 4th. I'm guessing so it wouldn't build as much boost in 4th? Idk WTF. I even had e85 with me to run and he said I wouldn't get anymore power running it because I would run out of pump? A rewired 255 won't even make 400? I'm pretty sure the guy just didn't know the software which is whatever but don't tell me you can do it and charge me $350 if you can't.

I didn't look at the aits but I haven't had a problem with them. I don't remember the core size I bought the intercooler years back brand new. It is for sure genuine greddy.

You took your dsm to Rich ? Why bro ? :cry::barf:
I wish you had asked on the local forum, i could have told you the joker"tuning" is bad for your car. Speed factory has blown so many motors. I dont wanna sit here and bash, but im not sure why they even have this dude as an instructor in the performance class for tuning at Western Tech last i heard. Apparently working on hondas and taking peoples money past 12 years makes you a tuner :toobad:
Im sorry to hear you wasted some cash but im glad they didnt hurt your motor.
27 psi might be just a little too much for pump gas and higher timing. Check boost leaks ,ignition,etc. and drop boost to 20 and work up from there. Shitty 91 octane can only get you so far. Its my limiting factor, so much knock retard like that and you will have to make a conservative sacrifice.

^^ Good words bro, you need to go help the o.p. make sure this don't happen again LOL. JJ Its that boost addiction always wanting to push more and more until something goes boooommmm then we just sit there and scratch our head and act like we don't know what happen haha! I had to save my friends gsx from the same fate. He was so hyped to run 40psi and smoke everyone. He didn't even bother getting a solid tune down at a lower boost first. And his car ran like crap and couldn't even touch my gst LOL. I finally got him to listen and let me do a 25psi tune for him (race gas and meth to help) and actually have a timing curve LOL. His next run he actually made a clean pass and hit his personal best LOL (12.5@115 I think but still hasn't beat me exept for mph LOL). But more importantly was actually making power instead of loosing it on a really bad/weak tune. And ya you never want to take your dsm to a guy named joker LOL and there's your sign!! ;)

Might be a week or more before time allows... ... I'll sort it out and I'll post an Update to what the issue was making him lean out when we get a chance though.

Likely just the pump not keeping up as it isn't rewired IIRC and/or the Relief opening, Hell the map sensor not getting a proper signal. Something stupid any competent shop should have been able to see was a problem and address...
It's been over a month since me and 97_4g63t got any logs back and forth and the car as been apart since then. So quite few things could have came up...

Sorry though No logs guys...
But FYI this below is for the most part what the "tune" consisted of.

Beside not trying too actually sort any real issues out and leaving the EBC as it was despite them wanting to lower the boost :ohdamn: and Aside from bit of small VE change at higher load (pulling fuel fuel from what it was :aha:)...

In the end I think Moral of the story is that make sure you get first hand feedback about who you are thinking off doing business with before dealing with people, I suppose.

Attachments

• Tune.jpg
    Tune.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 123
I think you're either mistaken or confused...we don't RELY on the knock sensor, it's essentially used as a sanity check as well as a fail safe. That said, it does help street "tooners" (nice condescension) because they don't have access to a dyno and can't see every single ft/lb that's added when timing is advanced.

Not to mention the knock sensor pulls timing, whether it's legitimate or phantom knock, so you can't just blatantly ignore knock retard. No offense but that's retarded :| What you can do, if you have (dsm|ecm)link, is activate the knock sensor based on user-defined parameters such as rpm and tps, which is what most DSMers do.

No offense intended. I was simply stating the fact I do not see any other car group talk so much about knock sensors, while discussing tuning. Not good or bad just an observation. With your explanation of not wanting to dyno tune a DSM, for whatever reason, would make sense on the heavy reliance on the knock sensors. Sorry to get so off topic.

How many other car groups are pushing the sorts of specific output and power-per-cylinder figures as the DSM/Evo crowd? In cars that often get driven for thousands of miles per year?

As a tool and safe guard it's very valuable. Pretty much every modern car has them for this reason.

Imagine how bad his tune would probably be if he didn't have a knock sensor? Its valuable information that is really a blessing to have if you ask me. Its kinda like a reward meter LOL. The better you get at tuning the less its shows up and the happier you feel, and your reward is nice long beautiful pulls pushing you back in your seat. If you don't give a crap and don't understand the tune and have a horrible timing curve and everything's kinda all over the place, and tons of knock. Then be carful because your reward could come at a booming price LOL!!

Knock sensor is an awesome saftey net, the sensor shows knock before any real knock actually occurs, so if you see a blip of 3* knock everything fine, if you see a 3-5* the whole pull and don't get out of it, that could be a costly mistake.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back