The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hood came unlatched..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2011
Amarillo, Texas
The inevitable happened to me today, took the dsm out for a test run and the hood flew up while I got on the highway :mad:

I've been having to slam it shut lately after an ice storm caused me to tap into a pole (FWD problems..) and slightly misaligned my hood, guess I didn't slam it enough!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There is a local pick-n-pull junkyard that has a 1ga talon, with the front end intact. I'm needing a new hood and winder at the least, but if the body parts look okay I'm going to go ahead and do a 1ga front end swap.

I have no experience with windshield replacement, but I'd like to save myself the expense of getting a new windshield installed.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is there any differences between 1ga/b windshields? Or is it not suitable to replace the broken windshield with a used one?

:dsm:

WOW That sucks man. Sorry to see that. I had issues with mine not wanting to open so I put pins in mine. I know that doesn't answer your question but can still send a sorry.

Thanks for the condolences. LOL

I'll probably just get it replaced with a new one, and some hood replacement, maybe it's time for some CF..
I also found that a 1gb--1ga swap isn't going to be simple, headlight mounts aren't the same.

There goes that idea.

Windshield replacement is not simple as you may think.

Getting the bust one out is not the issue, but getting the good new/used one out with out cracking it is.

I have changed a few out, and cracked even more trying to cut the replacement out.

Best bet, just get a new one and have it installed, by a decent glass shop.

If the set of the windshield is off, the trim can be a true pain to get back on.

Quotes you will get from a shop would typically include taking out the old windshield, however, I would take it out on your own just to make sure the roof is straight for the install. If its messed up or crooked and they have to reject putting it in, they will still charge you for their time to pull it.

You should try and stay away from used windshields. Sorry about the hood coming up on you had the same thing happen to me in my old gst. Why not just have a glass shop put a new one in, its not that expensive. When it happened to me they replaced mine took they old one out and all for 200 with a lifetime warranty.

You should try and stay away from used windshields. Sorry about the hood coming up on you had the same thing happen to me in my old gst. Why not just have a glass shop put a new one in, its not that expensive. When it happened to me they replaced mine took they old one out and all for 200 with a lifetime warranty.

I actually did get a new one put in, they got me done for 210 :thumb:

Now I just need a hood :sosad: Bad thing is the local junks don't have any, so I was gonna save up for CF but that's link money right there!

sorry to hear, man. 210 is not bad, for a professional job labor + part. iI had this happen once in my 2nd car, and the hood wrapped it self back-wards destroyed my roof+sun-roof and punched through my windshield. Only @ 30 mph. i paid close to the same price myself. Goodluck with your hood.

Well like you said, thats link money. Coulda had both if you paid insurance LOL, i got my cf hood from someone elses insurance when they pulled out in front of me

Yeah ha I'm getting it ready for the summer, and insurance this upcoming Friday :thumb:

Still no luck on the hood. I found a couple at one junkyard , both had flew up already because the corners looked the exact same, and both were rusted, different color than mine. They wanted 75 bucks. :notgood:

On a side note she's finally running damn good, got the new coil in. Getting good spark and fuel.

I've been there, had a 90 GS 2.0 NA and the hood flew up at about 110mph just outside of birmingham at 4AM. Blew out the sunroof completely, smashed the windshield and covered us in glass, was a rude awakening for sure!

Just had this happen about an hour ago. Did anyone have issues mounting the new glass if the roof line is off at all? Mine smashed my roof and all around my sunroof. Can the roof "skin" be replaced?

Just had this happen about an hour ago. Did anyone have issues mounting the new glass if the roof line is off at all? Mine smashed my roof and all around my sunroof. Can the roof "skin" be replaced?
You could cut one off a donor. But that's to much.. best bet is body work, bondo ..ect..... Sorry to hear.. What happened, details?

You could cut one off a donor. But that's to much.. best bet is body work, bondo ..ect..... Sorry to hear.. What happened, details?

No idea, hood was latched as usual, flew up and smashed roof and windshield going about 60. Undivided 4 lane road, glad I didn't go off the road or hit anyone I guess. Just not sure what to do now.

sorry to hear what has happened to your car . I just got a cf roof skin from Sergio (Carbonetics ) Maybe it will be good idea just to push out the roof and order cf roof skin . Post a picture of the roof .

Attachments

• 12833315_857411247738616_560873596_n.jpg
    12833315_857411247738616_560873596_n.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 65
sorry to hear what has happened to your car . I just got a cf roof skin from Sergio (******** ) Maybe it will be good idea just to push out the roof and order cf roof skin . Post a picture of the roof .

Doesn't do it justice really, but I'm just concerned with the area that the windshield mounts. It seems bent in where the hump on the hood hit. And it's all bent up where the sunroof seals.

That CF hood skin would be sweet. How would it attach? I have never had any luck when trying to contact Sergio for any CF parts though.

Attachments

• Resized_20160519_222219.jpg
    Resized_20160519_222219.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 67
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back