The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Honk! What? Honk! What? I can't hear you, that must be a DSM horn [Merged 1-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My horn started to sound like a duck as well, I took the horn behind the battery(for the alarm) and used it as my regular horn, the plugs are the same any everything.

When the car is turned off, sometimes I'll hear what sounds like a car horn that is dying. It happens completely at random with nothing to my knowledge triggering it. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Also, when i push the horn buttons on the wheel, all I hear is clicking. What could this be?

Bad ground imho, the leads for the horn aren't to bad to follow just to be sure its not a short, also horns are dirt cheap but I don't think your problem is in the actual unit. Does it always click when you press the horn button or only when the faint noise is occurring?

it always clicks when i push the button. I don't know if the sound is actually the horn, but thats what it sounds like

Hi, my horn isnt working.. i've searched through the threads about horns and am confused as to what i should check next... My factory alarm horn works just fine, and i just finished taking the steering wheel off and cleaning the button contacts... still doesnt work. I checked all the fuses and they're fine... what's my next step? thanks

Did you inspect the horn itself? They usually just crap out due to age. I would also hookup a multimeter there and check if its getting signal when the horn is depressed.

I have no idea where the horn is LOL, i just figured since my alarm horn is working that the horn must work?

I also dont have a multimeter. I guess if i could find the horn i could disconnect it and hook it up to the battery and see if it sounds.

thanks for the reply

It's usually located behind the bumper somewhere. Mine is (I believe) on the passenger's side, but my brother's '99 is on the driver's side.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...y-electrical-connections-2.html#post151542326

You can either use a multimeter, or just put direct power to it from the battery and see if it sounds. Just make sure to remove the power quickly, otherwise you'll have a lot of people looking at you weirdly :p

It's usually located behind the bumper somewhere. Mine is (I believe) on the passenger's side, but my brother's '99 is on the driver's side.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...y-electrical-connections-2.html#post151542326

You can either use a multimeter, or just put direct power to it from the battery and see if it sounds. Just make sure to remove the power quickly, otherwise you'll have a lot of people looking at you weirdly :p

K i'm going to go see if i can locate the stupid thing

yea i got the same problem!! i think every dsm does...at least my last 3 did!! stupid horn failing! can you buy them from autozone or advance..or are they dealer only oem?

K so i removed the horn and attached wires to the terminals on it and then attached them to the + / - battery terminals and it didnt make a noise... so im guessing my horn is screwed..

One thing though... the horn in this pic has like a clip that attaches to it, mine had 2 separate small clips going onto the terminals instead...?

67993d1158749209-honk-what-honk-what-i-cant-hear-you-must-dsm-horn-merged-1-8-horn-location.jpg

K i bought a new horn and it works now... horn itself was obviously fried. Thanks guys

Well my horn isn't working and I have tracked it down to be the horn or the buttons. My only questions is, the security still sounds so does that mean the horn is good or does it have a stand alone horn?

Well my horn isn't working and I have tracked it down to be the horn on the buttons. My only questions is, the security still sounds so does that mean the horn is good or does it have a stand alone horn?

Yes there are 2 seperate horns. My Main horn went bad also, so I would just replaace the horn in the driverside fender and be done with it.

aha my horns don't work either.. but dam i could use one of those horns like the the youtube video

Hey guys-

Last night I finally sacked up and took on the task of refinishing my headlights so that I can actually see the road at night. As I had removed the front bumper, I noticed that I had an extra 12V horn on the passenger side of the engine in the same mount position as the one on the driver's side, except that it wasn't hooked up to anything. I looked for a wire harness that might have fallen off but there isn't any like there is on the driver side. As my current horn has been getting weak, I decided to test out the newly discovered one and to my luck it was loud and strong (as far as these horns go). Anyone else noticed this second horn? I assume its for a factory car alarm, but when I searched the forums it's placement didn't match. Any ideas? (Car is a 95 TSi) :hmm:

The two horns:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think your the only one, i removed my horn cause it went bad and my car alarm still goes off i was kinda shocked when that happend.

aha my horns don't work either.. but dam i could use one of those horns like the the youtube video

Dude those train horns from Horn Blasters are friggin awesome. I have some on my Jeep cause I couldn't hide em on the Eclipse. You can get a fairly loud air horn at Autozone or the like. It comes with the horn relay and everything else you'll need except wires. I wouldn't bother just replacing the stock horn cause it really is weak. If you've got about $500 and a free saturday get the train horns from Horn Blasters you will not be dissatisfied..and if you're horn button is bad you could always run a seperate button if you don't want to fix the stock horn button.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back