The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hone H1E Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGST98

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2011
las cruces, New_Mexico
Before I go off and try this.. I would like some opinions from those of you on here.. I was thinking about honing out my H!E exhaust inlet.. My question is this.. would it really make that much of a difference... It is a divided flange however one side has been welded closed do to the internal w/g being welded...

Would this be worth my time??

Ill get a pic of it up.. and I didnt weld it.. It was bought that way...

Looks like after he welded it.. he angled it as well.....

Attachments

• 2011-11-16_17-12-08_676.jpg
    2011-11-16_17-12-08_676.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
so how much power and spool am I missing ### the guy before me welded the w/g side closed??

Get another housing, and take that one to the scrap yard so they can melt it down so no evidence of such a mess ever existed.

Justin seems to have plenty of housings, PM him and see what he can do for you.

V8 guys were doing that a while back to improve spool on big turbos. They never ran em hard enough to notice the lost turbine flow. This guy might not either. From what I have read, closing off one scroll will help spool by 3-500 rpm.

Wow.... At least could of milled and faced it... Blast that housing to the moon.

What exhaust housing would you guys suggest to replace that with then?? something that will bolt right up.. has to be a t4 flange.. 272 cams and would have a decent spool time..

what scared me is the plasma cutter marks on the open side, lord only knows what was done to that poor housing LOL

any other suggestions that might actually be able to find quicker??

being that the H1e has a few different turbine options and the bolt on housings don't fit a few of them (according to the holset thread info anyway) You might want to see what turbine wheel you have by measuring it. You may bne able to get both mitsu and t3 flanges for it if it's standard hx40 wheel inside. But If it has to be a t4 foot print for you, then i don't know what to suggest, but in t3 there's options even aside from the BEP housings.

I machined my own t3 .63 a/r housing to work on my H1c and i imagine that the CHRA diameter is the same so you could get a T3 housing machined to the proper turbine specs and could have about anything you wanted for the a/r (like .48, .63 and .82) the first two would provide fast spool (not sure about the .82 as i havne't seen results of anyone doing one that large on a holset) but again it would be in a t3 foot print like what a few others and myself have done so if that won't work for ya then it's probably gonna be finding the rare 17cm^2 one or finding some other T4 housing you like and having some one machine it, but i'd recomend t3 unless you've bought a nice manifold and it's a T4 flange already. BUT T4 flanges are larger setups and fast spool isn't going to go hand in hand with that, especially with cams since they slow spool down.

your best bet once again is go T3 or mitsu flange, andif it's not the standard hx40 turbine you pretty much will need to have one machined to accept your turbine wheel (not hard to do but if you don't have machine equipment you'ld have to pay a machinist like myself or go to a machine shop but thy usually charge way too much to avoid one off work like that and with the high prices they quote it's sure to make it worth it for themif you do say you'll pay it.

My turbo is an hx40 compressor (58mm 8 blade) with a h1c/hx35 turbine and i machined a t3 .63 a/r housing for it and it spools to 20+psi by 4000 RPM in 3rd with 264/272 cams and in 5th it will actually open the wastegate at 25psi by 4k RPM, great spool, and wasn't hard to do really and i'm sure one could be machined for your wheel if it isn't that common

I sure hope you didn't pay much for that turbo. Who knows what its been put through.

I sure hope you didn't pay much for that turbo. Who knows what its been put through.

^^^true, i was thinking (hoping) he got it free, i would have been afraid to buy something looking like that (no offense OP )

being that the H1e has a few different turbine options and the bolt on housings don't fit a few of them (according to the holset thread info anyway) You might want to see what turbine wheel you have by measuring it. You may bne able to get both mitsu and t3 flanges for it if it's standard hx40 wheel inside. But If it has to be a t4 foot print for you, then i don't know what to suggest, but in t3 there's options even aside from the BEP housings.

I machined my own t3 .63 a/r housing to work on my H1c and i imagine that the CHRA diameter is the same so you could get a T3 housing machined to the proper turbine specs and could have about anything you wanted for the a/r (like .48, .63 and .82) the first two would provide fast spool (not sure about the .82 as i havne't seen results of anyone doing one that large on a holset) but again it would be in a t3 foot print like what a few others and myself have done so if that won't work for ya then it's probably gonna be finding the rare 17cm^2 one or finding some other T4 housing you like and having some one machine it, but i'd recomend t3 unless you've bought a nice manifold and it's a T4 flange already. BUT T4 flanges are larger setups and fast spool isn't going to go hand in hand with that, especially with cams since they slow spool down.

your best bet once again is go T3 or mitsu flange, andif it's not the standard hx40 turbine you pretty much will need to have one machined to accept your turbine wheel (not hard to do but if you don't have machine equipment you'ld have to pay a machinist like myself or go to a machine shop but thy usually charge way too much to avoid one off work like that and with the high prices they quote it's sure to make it worth it for themif you do say you'll pay it.

My turbo is an hx40 compressor (58mm 8 blade) with a h1c/hx35 turbine and i machined a t3 .63 a/r housing for it and it spools to 20+psi by 4000 RPM in 3rd with 264/272 cams and in 5th it will actually open the wastegate at 25psi by 4k RPM, great spool, and wasn't hard to do really and i'm sure one could be machined for your wheel if it isn't that common

Thank you for the insight... guess i pretty much screwed the pooch when i went t4.. the manifold is a custom build to the turbo tahts why its still a t4

o I know. 1 question, WTF came through your mind when you bought that?

honestly... didnt know it was like that till after i received it... only saw it with the full setup of the manifold.. w/g ext..

apparently wasnt thinking..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back