The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Homemade Intercooler pipe bead tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff99GS

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
I wanted to share this in the new custom fab section.

(Colt4g63) Was the original poster of this so the credit goes to him.

You will need 1 Pair of standard size Vise Grips
a 2.5 inch Muffler clamp saddle, a large washer and a small welder.

Weld the muffler clamp saddle to the bottom of the vise grip jaw. Then weld the Washer to the top jaw of the Vise Grip.

Attachments

• Neededmaterials.jpg
    Neededmaterials.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 13,955
  • Finishedproduct1.jpg
    Finishedproduct1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 13,962
  • Finishedproduct2.jpg
    Finishedproduct2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 14,996
  • Beadslikebutta.jpg
    Beadslikebutta.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 14,326
  • 01-08-09_0848.JPG
    01-08-09_0848.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 12,921
  • Sweetbead.jpg
    Sweetbead.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 13,888
I made myself a set of these bead rollers, and they work GREAT! I made my friend a custom fit short route out of the JDM sport universal pipe kit that was on ebay. Then afterward I beaded all the ends that I cut to fit.

Your hands gets a little tired from squeezing the vise grips though. Good work out!

Attachments

• 01-08-09_0842.JPG
    01-08-09_0842.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 9,939
  • 01-08-09_0845.JPG
    01-08-09_0845.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 9,578
DAMN! I Am making mine Tonight! Had to trim a few IC pipes from the SSAC kit. And been trying to figure out how I was ging to bead them. WOW! Thanks!

i made this also..but it is very very hard to bead stainless i ended up breaking the vise grips after i put them into the vise

If you're going to try to bead stainless you need to adjust the tension on the vise grips to take a smaller bite. Then tighten it as you go to make the bead deeper.

i made this also..but it is very very hard to bead stainless i ended up breaking the vise grips after i put them into the vise

Your best bet to try to form stainless is going to be to heat the tubing to a dull cherry red before you use this tool. Overall it's going to be a big PITA in stainless unless it is less than 1.5mm thick. If it's really thin, like less than 1 millimeter, then you might be able do it cold.

ihatedsms said:
So once its clamped you spin the vice grips around the pipe?

Nope. Clamp, unclamp, move over a little. Repeat.

I run 26psi on the street and have no bead rolls on any of my piping and have never blown a coupler. I plan to make one of these tools and bead roll everything for next year once it sees more boost :)

Great idea.

I'm sorry Anthony, I forgot to leave you feedback, or I guess I didn't really think of it. Anthony is a great guy to deal with too. He sent payment with paypal right away, and left me good feedback. Thanks man.

Wonder if there is a way to put the washer on a bolt, and weld the bolt to the grip leaving the washer free to "spin" then perhaps you could clamp once, then spin the pipe if you have the strength

any1 have a size on the washer they used?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back