The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G homemade awd bolt in 10 gallon fuel cell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so as a budget racer im not able to buy the top of the line products new all the time and find them used and in good shape is a hassle at best. we then have to turn to other options that will get the job done such as fabricating our own stuff to work. the bolt in fuel cell was one of them for me. i couldnt for the life of me find a good used 10 gallon jm fab cell and buying new was out of the price range for the time being. so i got underneath my car and did a ton of measuring and found that it would be fairly easy to build my own. jm fab offers the weld ring for the stock sending unit that you can buy so that made life extremely easy as well. i know that there are others like me that are willing to put in the time to make their own to save money and get to the same end goal. i figured i would share the parts list with everyone as well as some pics to help with your project on this.

most of everything i got from jegs ( i work there as a tech) but you can definitely sub these out with other brands as you see fit for yourself. only other things that didnt come from there are the sending unit ring and the angle aluminum that was used for the mounts.

jegs:

555- 15320 10 gallon aluminum fuel cell
231- 11162 8an female weld bung aluminum
231- 11153 10 an male weld bung aluminum ( i bought two as i used one for a larger outlet on the sump)
231- 2171 1.5" aluminum straight tube
555- 110073 10an 90* push loc hose end
361-at949068 6an male 90* to 8an port fitting (i gave myself the option to upgrade the return line later)
555-110313 8an cap (used these to block the other outlet on the sump and the other top 8an i couldnt use)

lowes
2x2 4ft length aluminum angle stock

ostar Motorsports
1G-FUELRNG-00 jm fab sending unit weld ring (ostar was the cheapest i found that carried this ring)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the day i brought stuff home to get started.

next thing i did was pull the fuel cap assembly off and removed all of the foam ( the foam wont wonk with ethanol and gets in the way of the sending unit). note where i set the weld fittings as that is pretty much where they were welded.

everything welded up. i chose to run one 10an outlet to feed my fuel pump.

with all the fittings welded it was time to test fit and get figure out just where we needed to put the angle stock for mounting brackets

i set it to where it was tight to the body and had enough space from the exhaust and such.

all the brackets made up and ready to weld

for guys running a external fuel pump i used some of the angle stock and short pieces of scrap i had to make a fuel pump mount as well. also if you use the rubber isolators like shown that will help quiet the pump down.

everything all welded up (the 180* fitting i realized after wards that i didnt need).

and there it is. the finished product. total cost retails spent on this would be about $325 depending on what options/ changes youd need to suit your setup.

Attachments

• 23231480_1612392558825056_219111990560226123_n.jpg
    23231480_1612392558825056_219111990560226123_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 177
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back