The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

home plumbing woes in cast iron

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Maybe somebody here is a plumber. I'm waaaay deeper into a bathroom repair than intended. Turned into a full-on down to studs remodel.
Anyway, I pulled the bathtub to find cast iron and lead piping and I have to replace them to install the new tub. I learned more about cast iron than I wanted to know and jumped in.
I have service weight cast in 3" and the only solution I have found is a fernco donut to 3" PVC. Fernco states to insert the PVC in first then install it into the cast iron hub. I cleaned the hub up
whistle clean and it's good all the way to the bottom. No lead, oakum, etc. The first part of the install went fine. All surfaces lubed up well and it was going fine but I'm down the lip on the donut. It does NOT want to
go in any further. I lack maybe a 1/4" or less. The PVC is tight and will not move. Should I just stop here or did I do something wrong? It's a mid-60s build house, seems like no unusual cast iron issues, etc. Off the shelf 3" donut looks right, hub measures right.
I don't have enough room to swing any tools very hard as I'm under the slab where the bathtub goes. If I dig anymore I'll have to install hieroglyphs and my own crypt.
Any tips? Am I good?
Helppppp!!

This is before my repair attempt. The lead seal is still there.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm not at the house. I'll post tomorrow. I think I got my answer. Several plumbing forums have examples. Mine looks exactly like the examples. I'm probably good

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back