The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

home made alternator relocation .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondnature

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2004
fredericksburg, Virginia
Alternator relocation .

So just thought i would share with everyone that i have made my own Alternator relocation for a 1g ,using my old block down in the basement.So some many know i have been out of work for over a month now due to a fractured ankle.I`ve been wanting to get a Relocation kit for my car for a little while now.But there to much that i want to pay right now.There really nice but yet still to much.So i made my own.Its not the best looking thing in the world,but for what tools i have and what im working with i think it came out alright.Also everything here was hand cut.Not with a hacksaw,but with a grinder/cut off wheel.Heres some pics of what it looks like.And the instal.This one in the pics is my first one.Honestly the welding isnt the greatest.I am a mig welder in a factory ,but because i cant work right now i had to work with what i had.115 Flux Core Wire ,Ehh.I do plan on making one more.But its going to be a little different.And it will be better then this one.Pretty much the same but made a little bit different.With hopefully not much welding.Hope you Enjoy.

Attachments

• 100_0647.JPG
    100_0647.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,732
  • 100_0652.JPG
    100_0652.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 3,560
  • 100_0658.JPG
    100_0658.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 3,153
  • 100_0662.JPG
    100_0662.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,149
  • 100_0648.JPG
    100_0648.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 3,153
You do know that I bought the Jay racing relocation kit, right? Im guessing that you modeled the lower mount off of the pics I posted of it. Just remember that the mount has to be sandwiched between the axle and the block. Therefore, you will need to check thickness of the bracket and use washers to shim the axle(carrier bearing) to the proper spec. IIRC, I think the outer bolt hole in the carrier needs to be spaced .330" from the block. I could be wrong but I will recheck and let you know. Considering I have your engine right now, Im sure we will go over this when you get it back.

Off topic, I havent had a chance to do much lately since my mom died. This weekend, my brother and I have several thing to take care of. Im hoping by mid-next week, my life will be getting back to normal and I can get back to work on the projects.

You do know that I bought the Jay racing relocation kit, right? Im guessing that you modeled the lower mount off of the pics I posted of it. Just remember that the mount has to be sandwiched between the axle and the block. Therefore, you will need to check thickness of the bracket and use washers to shim the axle(carrier bearing) to the proper spec. IIRC, I think the outer bolt hole in the carrier needs to be spaced .330" from the block. I could be wrong but I will recheck and let you know. Considering I have your engine right now, Im sure we will go over this when you get it back.

Off topic, I havent had a chance to do much lately since my mom died. This weekend, my brother and I have several thing to take care of. Im hoping by mid-next week, my life will be getting back to normal and I can get back to work on the projects.

Yeah its all good when ever you get to the motor.I cant put it back in the car anytime soon anyways until i can walk again.On the other hand yes i know about the carrier bearing the stock AC bracket was 5/16 and thats what it is right now .Or maybe a 16th off but thats not going to hurt anything i dont think .Heres a pic of the washers i used.The one for the C Bearing is one size and the other one is a different size only because i didnt want it to hit the front case.

Attachments

• 100_0656.JPG
    100_0656.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,641
Yeah its all good when ever you get to the motor.I cant put it back in the car anytime soon anyways until i can walk again.On the other hand yes i know about the carrier bearing the stock AC bracket was 5/16 and thats what it is right now .Or maybe a 16th off but thats not going to hurt anything i dont think .Heres a pic of the washers i used.The one for the C Bearing is one size and the other one is a different size only because i didnt want it to hit the front case.

5/16" should be ok. That is roughly .312" which is only .018" from what is stock. The carrier should be able to flex that much without the chance of breaking anything.

Now that I have my kit and something to go by, I think we may be able to fab up a little better tensioner setup for little to no $. The pin style tensioner will begin to eat into the alt case over time but you have made a good start. If I knew you were doing this, I could have given you my kit to copy and measure from.

5/16" should be ok. That is roughly .312" which is only .018" from what is stock. The carrier should be able to flex that much without the chance of breaking anything.

Now that I have my kit and something to go by, I think we may be able to fab up a little better tensioner setup for little to no $. The pin style tensioner will begin to eat into the alt case over time but you have made a good start. If I knew you were doing this, I could have given you my kit to copy and measure from.

Honestly whats a .330" size too? And yeah you know that i have no life right now , and me and you talked about making one before.And i wanted to put it in the back for a while now.Plus now i have somewhere to run my o2 dump.And things will look alot better in the front. :D.I wish i was at work so i could have made it a little better and welded it better.But for now thats what i have to work with.When i get back on my feet i want to make a better one at work.But hey like i said for what i have to work with isnt bad :thumb: .And as far as the tensioner gos.I could put a vacuum cap on it for now :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back