The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Home made 3" ID intake.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsboost

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2008
New Bern, North_Carolina
So I used to have a 16g GT setup from Turbochargers.com and I had an ebay intake on it. I got rid of my 16g and got a frank5 20G. Well the intake I had didn't fit the 3" inlet on my turbo. I was going to get a FP 4" intake but I got laid off a while back and have no $$. I have lots of fiberglass and resin left over from when I used to work at a fiberglass yacht plant so my gears started turning. Here's the product of my unemployment, need for a new intake and experience in fiberglass. You can see a couple of resin runs inside the tubing but I've since smoothed it out. Also, I used absolutely no bondo or any other type of filler on this. Just 3oz hairmatt, chopped matt, and resin.

Attachments

• finished intake2.jpg
    finished intake2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,562
  • finished intake3.jpg
    finished intake3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,557
  • finished intake4.jpg
    finished intake4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,563
  • finished intake5.jpg
    finished intake5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,545
  • finished intake6.jpg
    finished intake6.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,560
Thanks. I actually painted it to match my VC but I decided to go with a graphite eagle because it has more of a metallic look.

Attachments

• candyvcover.jpg
    candyvcover.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,536
that eagle makes it look 10000x cleaner.! you got skills!

I actually tried printing an Eagle logo out on contact paper to use for a stencil but when I cut it out and tried to transfer it onto the intake the curvature of the intake distorted the logo and it didn't look right. I ended up covering it with masking tape, free handing a talon logo on the tape, and carefully cutting it out. It was a PITA.

I primed it with black for a deeper red then sprayed it with 3 coats of duplecolor cherry red metallic, then 3 coats of Metal cast red which is basically candy red, then 3 coats of duplicolor wheel clear coat. It held up pretty good on my old VC for a few years so I figured it would work ok for an intake. The only difference between my old VC and new VC and intake is that I did a silver base instead of cherry red.

Very impressive! You could market that really easily to be honest ;)

I'd love to but I procrastinate too much. It took me a month to do this one when it should have only taken me 2 or 3 days simply because I didn't feel like messing with it sometimes. Before I made it I was going to just cut my intake pipe in the middle where it's about 3" and use a coupler to put a piece of 3" aluminum tubing on it. I figured since fiberglass doesn't heat soak as bad as metal I might as well try it. It may keep my intake temps down. In theory it sounds good anyway. The cool thing is if I did build them to sell, since it's fiberglass, I can customize them in almost any way people want. All I would need is something like a stock intake as a reference to get the basic dimensions right then modify it from there.

I used my ebay piece with a 3" tube on the outlet end as a mold, rubbed it down with some good ol petroleum jelly, glassed over it, cut it off and classed the tube back together . . . basically. I'm about to start on one for a 1g but all I have to go on is the stock intake for basic dimensions. I'm probably going to make a foam mold for this one. I also have an EVOII intake. I might just do one based on that for s##ts and giggles.

That is a really good idea using petroleum jelly and the ebay one for a mold. I may have to do this. I never ever thought about using fiberglass for an intake. But it seems lke a really good idea.:hellyeah:

I'd be nice if I could use fiberglass to make my IC pipes. They'd probably pop like a balloon under boost.

Finally finished the mold for a 4" 1g intake.

Attachments

• 1g fiberglass intake2.jpg
    1g fiberglass intake2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 827
  • 1g fiberglass intake.jpg
    1g fiberglass intake.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 830
  • 1g fiberglass intake 4.jpg
    1g fiberglass intake 4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 829
You sir got some Fiberglass skills. I would so buy the 4" for a 2g with an extension for CAI by the stock side mount. Say how much and we could get the ball rolling. No kid.

-Richard

Damn man you has some skills with the fiberglass. That 2G intake is bad a$$ I would buy one. What did you do with you old Ijen one for the 16G.

It was actually an ebay intake but I hacked it to make the mold for the 3" pictured.

Looks great, but I'd have to see one that was in use for quite a while before I'd trust my compressor wheel to a fiberglass intake.

I like to tighten clamps pretty tight- I'd be afraid of cracking or splitting the fiberglass and giving my turbo a supply of fiberglass shards through the intake at high boost levels.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back