The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 1G Holy ground straps batman - idle problem solved!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperTalon

Probationary Member
Jan 28, 2003
New City, New_York
Hi guys this is not a question but a piece of important info for those out there having idleing problems - I started my rebuild about two years ago & when I was finally done last summer - the engine never idled correctly :cry: - after all this time trying to solve the problem :mad: - I learned today that if that LITTLE UGLY STRAP that is attached to the eblow & the top of the throttle body is not installed - the throttle body is not grounded! - meaning the idle switch will not work thus the computer will never know that the engine is trying to idle!!! I could not believe it myself! I thought the TB would be grounded through the bolts that attach it to the intake but that was not the case as I found out with the multimeter today. Installed the strap & BAM instant idle!

I am much freekin happy now :laugh: I have rock steady & smoooth 750 RPM idle with 17 in of vacumm - with a VPC!

I just wanted to pass this tid bit of info to you guys - dont throw away that little strap! & make shure you got the factory ground wire attached to the throttle cable! I still cant believe it! this should have been mentioned in the DSM manual!

Mario C.

Solution
jott5555 said:
or is he speaking about that little unit on the left hand side of the tbodie that is screwed into the t-bodie and on the first bolt on the throttle elbow...
That's what he's talking about. The ground strap that goes on the bolt to the outside of the elbow and screws to the top of the TB. Somewhere a while back there was a picture of someones where it was on upside down. Couldn't find it but here's one on a '90 and from a '91+.

On the '90 picture it's the strap on the left next to the IPS under where they tapped the boost gauge.

On the '91+ picture it's the strap on the center bottom under the hose bundle. The highlighted box is the IPS and the ground strap is on the lower side of the TB.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Steve
SuperTalon said:
Hi guys this is not a question but a piece of important info for those out there having idleing problems - I started my rebuild about two years ago & when I was finally done last summer - the engine never idled correctly :cry: - after all this time trying to solve the problem :mad: - I learned today that if that LITTLE UGLY STRAP that is attached to the eblow & the top of the throttle body is not installed - the throttle body is not grounded! - meaning the idle switch will not work thus the computer will never know that the engine is trying to idle!!! I could not believe it myself! I thought the TB would be grounded through the bolts that attach it to the intake but that was not the case as I found out with the multimeter today. Installed the strap & BAM instant idle!

I am much freekin happy now :laugh: I have rock steady & smoooth 750 RPM idle with 17 in of vacumm - with a VPC!

I just wanted to pass this tid bit of info to you guys - dont throw away that little strap! & make shure you got the factory ground wire attached to the throttle cable! I still cant believe it! this should have been mentioned in the DSM manual!

Mario C.

I can't think of what this strap is. Could you explain it more or post a picture?

I think he is refering to the metal braket...that almost looks like a hoisting point. Its located right by where you fuel mates with the fuel rail.

or is he speaking about that little unit on the left hand side of the tbodie that is screwed into the t-bodie and on the first bolt on the throttle elbow...

its pretty easy... i dont have it and my idle sucks... tommrow i will get one.. and hopefully it wont suck.

jott5555 said:
That's what he's talking about. The ground strap that goes on the bolt to the outside of the elbow and screws to the top of the TB. Somewhere a while back there was a picture of someones where it was on upside down. Couldn't find it but here's one on a '90 and from a '91+.

On the '90 picture it's the strap on the left next to the IPS under where they tapped the boost gauge.

On the '91+ picture it's the strap on the center bottom under the hose bundle. The highlighted box is the IPS and the ground strap is on the lower side of the TB.

Steve

Last edited:
Solution
Hey Steve - that is the piece in your pic! Lucky for me I did not throw it away- Im planning to run separate ground wire to the TB just in case - can't believe it- everyone blamed my old setup for the bad idle.

steve said:
That's what he's talking about. The strap that goes on the bolt to the outside of the elbow and screws to the top of the TB. Somewhere a while back there was a picture of someones where it was on upside down. Couldn't find it but here's one on a '90 and from a '91+. On the '90 picture it's the strap on the left next to the IPS under where they tapped the boost gauge. On the '91+ picture it's the strap on the center bottom under the hose bundle.

Steve

That picture is of the throttle position closed switch. When the throttle plate closes it sends a ground signal to the ecu so the ecu knows you are either decelerating or stopped and adjusts the fuel tables accordingly. Id even go as far as bolting a ground strap to the firewall on the intake manifold if you are doubting the switch is grounding.

2.4 turbo Hyped said:
That picture is of the throttle position closed switch.
I didn't take the pictures I grabed what I could find. If you read the posting text I describe where in those pictures the grounding strap is.

Here are better pictures of the ground strap on both 1990 and 1991+ cars.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back