The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Volvo HX-52 Dyno Sheets

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just in case you haven't seen or don't own a 60-1 I thought I would throw these pics in the mix

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The radius certainly is bigger. The area looks to be about the size of a garrett .84 a/r twin scroll housing. The area determines the gas flow angle to the turbine blades. The radius determines how big of a wheel can fit in the housing.

I have yet to see anyone run upwards of 40+ psi which is where I plan on running it(another reason why I am rebuilding mine before I use it) I think this turbo will suprise people when it gets too these kinda of boost levels with a proper tune and supporting mods. As it looks I will probably be going with a 2.0 aluminum long rod motor because the need to spool quicker seems futile seeing how this thing is all top end business.

No offense Matt, but you can believe what you want. But I know for a fact that this thing rivals some of the larger T4 housings that garrett has to offer. I have held them side by side and if you cannot see what I see in the pictures I don't know what to say. Look at the dyno sheets. There is no way this is a tiny housing with the spool this thing has. While my friends motor has some more tricks to it, his 1.25a/r borg warner is seeing full manifold pressure at 5700rpm. Again believe what you want, I know the VOLUME is WAY up there. I understand the area and radius, but what actually goes into this turbo is a ton. Your eyes must not believe the pictures than.

No offense taken. I understand. Thanks for all the information. I'm so awestruck by how fast it spools with a divided runner manifold as posted by the other hx52 user in the holset threads.

The setup in this thread doesn't have a divided runner manifold which is a better option to get the most topend from this turbo. I don't think it is unusually large for a twinscroll housing. A twinscroll housing with the same total area as an open scroll housing will flow less than an open scroll housing by a large margin. This setup is effectively making this a huge a/r single volute turbine housing. And it should work very well for topend power. Each pulse is being "squeezed" much less with this configuration. Please keep us updated!

If the area is bigger, then the area is bigger. And you're saying that, right? Considering the divider and the same point radially about the axis. The volume is affected by radius and can mislead. That's why pump engineers term the volute area the "critical area".

Does anyone know how many variations there is of the HX52 meaning housing size, compression blades, etc...? Holset turbos and especially the HX52 don't reveal the specs. What should I be looking for in the HX52?

Does anyone know how many variations there is of the HX52 meaning housing size, compression blades, etc...? Holset turbos and especially the HX52 don't reveal the specs. What should I be looking for in the HX52?

The hx52's and bigger seem to be kinda still uncharted territory when it comes to this but I know there are a couple because I had a little bit of trouble getting my rebuild kit for mine. I would just try to find one that is in good condition and then go from there.

I found one shop that has one new HX52 left for only $600, but I just wanted to make sure that there aren't a lot of variation of the HX52 like HX40 the 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12-blades and different cm a/r housing.

I found one shop that has one new HX52 left for only $600, but I just wanted to make sure that there aren't a lot of variation of the HX52 like HX40 the 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12-blades and different cm a/r housing.

From the pictures and measurements I have seen on here seems like we all have just about the same version just I have a vband outlet on mine and most do not. The dimensions seem to be the same

This is a very informative thread. I have gobbled up all this info. Lol. Dsm's have come such as a long way, turbochargers even more so.

Btw, congrats to the op's friend with the numbers and record.

Is there any holset variant somewhere in between a hx40 and the hx52? That area seems to be "unexploited"
Something comparable to gt37(or pt67-t3 style, as some call it) /40r numbers?

This is a very informative thread. I have gobbled up all this info. Lol. Dsm's have come such as a long way, turbochargers even more so.

Btw, congrats to the op's friend with the numbers and record.

Is there any holset variant somewhere in between a hx40 and the hx52? That area seems to be "unexploited"
Something comparable to gt37(or pt67-t3 style, as some call it) /40r numbers?

What I found was the HX55 was the same turbo, but had a vband outlet on the comnpressor. The HX50 from what I learned is a tad smaller than the 52 and 55. But still in the heavy frame category. It is the PRO's that are the new updated/modified versions that have the 71-72mm wheel. But the exhuast housing and wheel are the same from what I saw.

Oh, and my holset HX-52 should be running by next week. I hope it spools on the 1.6L. But I will make a new thread for my car on that.

I'm back from DSM death. Due to tax season I happen to be finally putting my HX52 on my 1G. Since biglady has already done this I have a few questions for you. What did you use for the v-Band on the hotside for your DP? I've called a bunch of diesel shops looking for a flang to build my 4"-3" reducer for the DP. I plan to have to exhaust setups. One for the strip which will be just a front side exit straight 4" exhaust, and the other reduced to 3" for the street and my RNR exhaust. And what did you do for the actual outlet? I've debated on going with a O-Ringed pipe to retain the intended purpose of the outlet connection.

I should have some 45+ PSI numbers (or at least drag slips) this summer. I'm actually going to be selling the DSM at the close of the summer. (family size has gotten to large for me to reason with the wife to need for me to kept it) Anyways I'm looking to relocate the alternator and probably use a JMF or Scheer top mount manifold. I'm looking at running the Comp 400 cams. My original educated guess was about 7500 rpm spool which is where your buddy currently is at which gives a 2500 RPM powerband. I still might just end up using the H1E depending on wife issues but I'm really looking hard at putting the 52 on and putting down some decent numbers.

So I hope you can shed some light on this:

1) V-Band outlet (exhaust) used
2) Cold side outlet used
3) T4-T6 adapter?

I'm back from DSM death. Due to tax season I happen to be finally putting my HX52 on my 1G. Since biglady has already done this I have a few questions for you. What did you use for the v-Band on the hotside for your DP? I've called a bunch of diesel shops looking for a flang to build my 4"-3" reducer for the DP. I plan to have to exhaust setups. One for the strip which will be just a front side exit straight 4" exhaust, and the other reduced to 3" for the street and my RNR exhaust. And what did you do for the actual outlet? I've debated on going with a O-Ringed pipe to retain the intended purpose of the outlet connection.

I should have some 45+ PSI numbers (or at least drag slips) this summer. I'm actually going to be selling the DSM at the close of the summer. (family size has gotten to large for me to reason with the wife to need for me to kept it) Anyways I'm looking to relocate the alternator and probably use a JMF or Scheer top mount manifold. I'm looking at running the Comp 400 cams. My original educated guess was about 7500 rpm spool which is where your buddy currently is at which gives a 2500 RPM powerband. I still might just end up using the H1E depending on wife issues but I'm really looking hard at putting the 52 on and putting down some decent numbers.

So I hope you can shed some light on this:

1) V-Band outlet (exhaust) used
2) Cold side outlet used
3) T4-T6 adapter?[/QUOTE]

It will spool much sooner than that and it's a t4 hotside not a t6 so no adapter needed

Sounds like my life you have there.ROFL I can identify with you 100%. I may have to get rid of my BMW M3 and buy a Honda Odyssey.:barf: Sounds crazy but I'll give up the BMW b4 the DSM. Only way I could get the Odyssey by the way.:(

Anyway dying to see what #'s guys start getting with there setups.
2009 should be the breakout yr for all us Holset users. At least I hope. These threads have given us an abundance of info.
Oh, and my holset HX-52 should be running by next week. I hope it spools on the 1.6L. But I will make a new thread for my car on that.
:thumb:

Dude we are definitely curious to see how it all works out! 1.6L and spoolup ability has me curious and anxious. What mani will this car be running and what turbine hsing?

It will spool much sooner than that and it's a t4 hotside not a t6 so no adapter needed

I have a Garrent T4 .86 (I think that is the A/R it's been a while since I've looked at it) P-Trim hotside. The HX52's hotside dwarf's the T4's and it's flange's bolt spacing is indeed slightly farther apart from the T4's.

I want to go with the 52 but it's a money thing. I'm looking to get the K-Sport coil overs, H1E or HX52 put on the car, New alumium radiator. I want to go top mount if I go HX52. I'd also probably go with duel walbro 255's and replace the stock fuel line with 1/2" hard line up to the firewall and SS braided line to both fuel rails. Also be running staged injection with 1000cc injectors on the head and a set of stock 450's on the intake. JMF Street intake. I'd be looking at another 1.5-2K to run the HX52. Being I'm looking to sale it at the close of summer I'm undecided. Either way it would be a blast to drive. Might be hard to drive with the HX52 for someone that hasn't had experience with 400HP coming on in a 700 RPM band. If I can I'm totally going to run the 52 though. It's up to the wife.

BTW I already have one Mini-Van. I'd be selling the Talon for around 8-10K (with a shinny new paint job) and getting another Mini-Van. Thoughts of turboing the 3.3 caravan has gone through my head a lot, but the tranny is the only kink as the 40/41TE's don't handle much power before they let go.

I have a Garrent T4 .86 (I think that is the A/R it's been a while since I've looked at it) P-Trim hotside. The HX52's hotside dwarf's the T4's and it's flange's bolt spacing is indeed slightly farther apart from the T4's.

I want to go with the 52 but it's a money thing. I'm looking to get the K-Sport coil overs, H1E or HX52 put on the car, New alumium radiator. I want to go top mount if I go HX52. I'd also probably go with duel walbro 255's and replace the stock fuel line with 1/2" hard line up to the firewall and SS braided line to both fuel rails. Also be running staged injection with 1000cc injectors on the head and a set of stock 450's on the intake. JMF Street intake. I'd be looking at another 1.5-2K to run the HX52. Being I'm looking to sale it at the close of summer I'm undecided. Either way it would be a blast to drive. Might be hard to drive with the HX52 for someone that hasn't had experience with 400HP coming on in a 700 RPM band. If I can I'm totally going to run the 52 though. It's up to the wife.

BTW I already have one Mini-Van. I'd be selling the Talon for around 8-10K (with a shinny new paint job) and getting another Mini-Van. Thoughts of turboing the 3.3 caravan has gone through my head a lot, but the tranny is the only kink as the 40/41TE's don't handle much power before they let go.

Trust me it's a t4 ;)

I'm getting a DNP T4 manifold. Just checked the prices on the top mounts and they have all went up $300+. I just might have to get another 44mm Tial. I'm going to build it so both turbo's can be used. Best of both worlds. :)

Jeremiah. Your spool will NOT be as slow as this guy. You will have more power band. There is nothing wrong with thtis guy's setup. It performs exactly the way he chose. But for your case, there is one who has used a divided t4 manifold (widened the bolt holes on the manifold) with the hx52 and seen spool about 1500rpms faster. It should definately be a blast to drive :)

Trust me it's a t4 ;)

Sean. YOU even said that the bolt holes have to be modified. . .

Jeremiah. Your spool will NOT be as slow as this guy. You will have more power band. There is nothing wrong with thtis guy's setup. It performs exactly the way he chose. But for your case, there is one who has used a divided t4 manifold (widened the bolt holes on the manifold) with the hx52 and seen spool about 1500rpms faster. It should definately be a blast to drive :)

Sean. YOU even said that the bolt holes have to be modified. . .

Yes but T6 would not be able to be modified to be even close to a T4 without making the holes so big a bolt head would just fall threw which it doesn't. It's not a true perfect t4 but with SLIGHT as in 1/4 " or less inward on the hotside you can mount her right up as seen. I have never seen a T5 but that's what I would classify the hx52 hotside as if anything else not t6

Ok then that is what I was seeing. Yeah just a little shaving on the mounting flange and it would fit. I didn't think about that. I've never seen a T6 flange and since it is slightly larger than the T4 I assumed T6. I'm not to sure if I want to run a true divided manifold as I would have to buy another WG. The DNP I think is divided (It's been a long time since I've seen one in person) with a single WG which would not be a true divided manifold. I just started getting a parts list together for the tax return check. :)

BTW Sorry about stealing the thread. Once I do start my venture I'll definitly have a dedicated thread with pics. But I still need to know about both outlet's (hot and cold) for flanges and pipe. I also would like to know if anyone reading knows for any 4" DS exit front exhausts that I can get? I can only bend up to 3" steel pipe. My bender doesn't have enough power to bend SS or the dies to bend 4". (3" pipe is hard enough to bend as it is w/o crushing it.)

Ok then that is what I was seeing. Yeah just a little shaving on the mounting flange and it would fit. I didn't think about that. I've never seen a T6 flange and since it is slightly larger than the T4 I assumed T6. I'm not to sure if I want to run a true divided manifold as I would have to buy another WG. The DNP I think is divided (It's been a long time since I've seen one in person) with a single WG which would not be a true divided manifold. I just started getting a parts list together for the tax return check. :)

BTW Sorry about stealing the thread. Once I do start my venture I'll definitly have a dedicated thread with pics. But I still need to know about both outlet's (hot and cold) for flanges and pipe. I also would like to know if anyone reading knows for any 4" DS exit front exhausts that I can get? I can only bend up to 3" steel pipe. My bender doesn't have enough power to bend SS or the dies to bend 4". (3" pipe is hard enough to bend as it is w/o crushing it.)

Go to a truck parts supplier and get the piping and then weld it together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back