The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dizuster said:
These hx-35's are bullit proof. My truck has 270,000 miles on it, and the turbo has been run above 40-psi for nearly it's whole life! So if anybody's worried about durability, don't be.

We read a lot on those Holset's durability, but I was wondering if the exhaust wheel could take a good amount of antilag (an option on MS). It should spool good without, but sooner is always better! :D I have one in front of me and that wheel does seem beefy!

Well like I said I'm new to the gas turbo game, but I think most of the anti-lag function is retarding the timing to use the heat energy to spool the turbo instead of push the piston down on the compression stroke right? So my understanding is Anti-lag = heat. From that perspective I can tell you my SPA digital gauge only reads to about 1750° F, and it's pegged every time the truck gets run through the gears!!! So I think you're anti-lag heat should be no problem for the hx-35. I should say mention however, that the hx-40 does not have a great reputation for durability. If you run it much above 40psi (which a gasser wouldn't probably ever do) , or run alot of heat through them, they do break. However, the hx-35 will take as much abuse as you can throw at it. There are a couple of variations out there right now that are made from switzer turbo stuff, that seem to work really well too. You there is a "super-b" turbo from www.bd-power.com that is a good comprimise between the hx-35 and the hx-40. That turbo will take alot too, so if the hx-35 isn't big enough for you, you guys might want to concider that one too.

The HX-35 Turbine wheel is made from I can't remember the material but it's able to withstand something like 2500* F for long durations. I saw it somewhere on Holsets site. So I wouldn't worry about anti-lag killing it. With the heavy duty thrust bearings it's a purfect turbo for anti-lag.

I just started my install into my 1G with the bullseye housing. I clocked the Compressor wheel quite a bit forward so the discharge pipe is about 4:30 o'clock when bolted to the exhaust manifold. I have the chra clocked about at about 11 o'clock to allow my hugh return line to not have any kinks in it. As for the water pipe issue's I have to get a N/A water pipe as the bung for the water inlet of the mitsu. turbo is literally right where the compressor housing is and would have to be cut off or pushed farther than the block will allow it. The compressor housing actually kind of goes under the water pipe and would only need a small dent to make it clear. I'm debating making a 1/2" spacer for the turbo->maniflod to bring the turbo just under the water pipe so I won't have to do any denting what so ever. Since large turbo's and high engine output will definitly bring on high water temps very quickly I don't want to dent the water pipe since it's the main water feed into the engine. I'm also toying around with cutting the attaching bolt off the waterpipe and moving it back about a 1/2" to bring the water pipe up slightly and maybe not have to use a turbo spacer.

As far as turbo bolts go if you want to space it you can use 10mm longer turbo bolts that are 10.x grade bolts. I got mine from Fastenall incase you wanted to know. Only 1.32 each and they are the strongest bolt you can get so it's not any weaker than the stock bolts. For FYI their are 3 different thread pitches for metric bolts and the turbo bolts are the middle one. The stock bolts I believe are 80mm long. So if you wanted to do this their is the info.

As for fan placement I'm going to run pusher fans instead of puller fans and mount them between the radiator and FMIC to allow the clearance needed to run the IC piping an kept it as far away from the turbine housing and exhaust as possible to kept things (pipes) cooler.

So their is what I got so far. I'm on vacation for 2 weeks and when I get back I'll be getting back to work on this beast. I'll take plently of pics and post them up as I go along.

defrag010 said:
^ the turbine's made out of inconel.
:thumb:
Thanks that was what It is. Some pretty tough stuff.

Yeah it's kind of like a 40/35 hybrid, but it's not a holset it's built out of Switzer parts. (s-300) Kind of like a 40/35 Dodgzilla turbo, but better efficency. I'd sell it to anybody that was interested, but at $850, you could buy a brand new hx-35 which is probably enough for a DSM. By the way I forgot to mention one other thing about the holset durability. I run about 45 lbs of boost, and diesels don't have BOV's!!!!! That thing's been "barked" so many times I lost count. . . LOL, One time I was trying to catch up with my dad in pittsburg, going through some mountains. I had the fuel cranked up, boost cranked up, and oops. . .forgot I had the exhaust brake on!!!! I let of the throttle off a long high boost run cause some guy changed lanes, and the exhaust brake clicked on when I let off, It blew out twp exhaust manifold gaskets, but didn't hurt the turbo at all!!!! I'm telling you I'm ready to try one of these things!!

dizuster, if your hx40/35 is another turbo, use your stock Holset on the dsm! What are you waiting for!? :D

On another note, the Cummins Turbodiesel Dodge ram is like the dsm but in diesel version, easy and "cheap" to boost. A guy I know has a 95 TD Dodge Ram and does truck pull competition with it and says the '95 model is the easiest to boost of them all because of something you can do to the fuel delivery system... how's that?

I'm not sure how much you guys know about diesels, but it's a complete different animal from a gas motor. For starters there is no throttle. It's run wide open all of the time. The fuel amount controls the RPM!!! You'd think it would be lean and hot, but it's actually the opposite. The more fuel you run, the hotter it gets (and the more power it makes) It's just about as easy as adding more fuel to make power. By adding more boost, you don't really add any power at all. If you put twin turbos at 90psi (yes that's not a typo, diesels are running that much boost) you wouldn't make any power at all. But what it would do is allow you to add more fuel. The more fuel you put in a diesel, the more power it makes! 150whp increase can be had with just a swap of injectors. (just bigger) That's why it's so easy to make power with those things. Yes the 94~98.5 dodges are the easiest to hop up. The reason is there is no electronics to control the fuel injection pump. The injection pump is a mechanical pump with cams to control fuel to each fuel line/injector. Essentially there is a throttle stop inside those fuel pump, and all you have to do is either remove it (not so safe) or just buy the $150 new throttle stop plate with the new profile. The plate controls the fuel curve thrughout the RPM range, so removing it all together gives waaaay too much fuel at low RPM. (actually less power because the fuel is actually putting out the fire in the cylinder!!!) Anyway. . . I could ramble on for hours about that stuff, but basically it's super easy to make power on the dodge diesels. I know there is a Cummin's powered dragster that's gone 7.80's, and TS performance has a diesel truck (4 x 4 2500) that's gone in the 10's!!!!! Check out this link. . . .

http://www.tsperformanceproducts.com/ts.wmv 10's truck

If you have quicktime, check out this burn out. No BOV, listen to when he let's off, yeah these holsets are tough!!!!!!

http://atsdiesel.com/Video/TruckFest03/SidewinderStage_A9_20030729_1.MOV

p.s. the diesels are plagued by the same problems that the DSM's have. Auto's are weak. But we have lots of aftermarket billet parts availible. But a good auto trans is about $6000!!!!+core

Well I finally got the turbo on. If anybody remebers I modified a stock 18cm housing to work on my engine. Guys dont worry about the lag its well worth it. I havent even hooked up my waste gate yet so I havent been able to wined it out.

went to california speedway.april 2005. weather was very warm. about 97 degrees I ran a fastest time was 12.8 @113mph. 60 foot 2.1
turbo hx35
gm mass
fmic
sfac
hks cams 272
2.5 turbo back exhaust
evo3 o2 housing
dsm chip
255 fuelpump
680 injectors
ported 2g manifold
this is not the full potential of this turbo. I need to get to the dyno for more tuning.I also need suspension and tires.

video.http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185059

there are like 10 pictures of holsets on DSMs in this thread alone.

heres one of my toys
92 talon 125k miles awd
Hx35w
3" exhaust
fmic
Hks upper piping
walboro 255
fic 660s
safc 2
hallman mbc @20psi
2g maf
2g ported manifold
fully ported 02 housing

Attachments

• intetnet 5.JPG
    intetnet 5.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,519
  • internet 4.JPG
    internet 4.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,506
  • internet 3.JPG
    internet 3.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,497
  • internet 2.JPG
    internet 2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,497
  • internet 1.JPG
    internet 1.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,497
  • internet 6.JPG
    internet 6.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,488
My hx40
mods in profile
Try and ignore the ghetto intake its temporary.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

aero_sallee said:
My hx40
mods in profile
Try and ignore the ghetto intake its temporary.
Hey I have the same 4"-3" coupler. Nothing really ghetto about it bro. It's not a pressurised pipe so it works and is cheap if you have a 3" intake already. I'm going to eventually get the 4" FP intake as it's a good price and I love cast pieces. Might even get some DSM laser etching done on it.

Maglin said:
Hey I have the same 4"-3" coupler. Nothing really ghetto about it bro. It's not a pressurised pipe so it works and is cheap if you have a 3" intake already.

I used the same one also for my Starions 1g mas to my HY-35. As of this week, it's not long in use. I'm going to MPI and do not need the MAS not. Here's the problem I had with it. After a little bit of time with a little bit of heat, it shrinks. I had to retighten the clamp many times, until the piece ripped. I had to trim it and I started the entire process over and over again, till I had about 1/2" left on the 4" side (this week). Just check it to make sure it's tight every once-in-awhile, airleaks after the MAS can be ugly.

I have been wondering what other Holset people have been using for their 4" intake pipe and also what size couple are you using inplace of the v-band clamp?

Shawn

starion87 said:
I have been wondering what other Holset people have been using for their 4" intake pipe and also what size couple are you using inplace of the v-band clamp?

Shawn
Are you talking about the compressor discharge vband? I'm just using a piece of 3" radiator hose and a hoseclamp, the ridge on the discharge works to hold it on just fine. At least at 16psi it does. I dont see it becoming a problem till really high boost though, it has the lip, and its pretty rough texture should hold it just fine.

hey I have a question to ask for a friend of mine... will a DSM 1G or 2G exhaust manifold fit a new EVO head? The reason I ask, Is because He just bought a HY35 for his EVO 8, and the considering the manifold options, Im thinking maybe the eclipse manifolds would work well.

BTW, my HY35 2.4 liter WRX is ####ing awesome, I have tuned it to spool up to 20 psi at about 3600-3700 RPMs in 4th gear (auto trans) Its pulling really hard, on just what Ive got it tuned at right now which is about 16 psi. I really like going around corners in second and being able to just play with the rear end traction. counter steer is really fun. full boost launches are also extremely enjoyable, Im slamming the rev limiter before im able to bring my head down from being jerked back on the launch. (thats at 16 psi launches holding 16 to redline) Before next weekend, Im going to be tuning it to run somewhere between 22 and 25 psi on 100 octane gas, and will be hitting the track. Im alittle scared about breaking something in the trans, so ill be shifting REALLY lightly, but Ill let you guys know what Im able to cut with it. Also, My friend and I got some video footage of some launches, roll ons, 0-100s up to 130 mph, and some footage from his duramax of me spooling it up.

Yeah there is a difference, but you'd be hard pressed to find an hx35, hx35w is wastegated, hx35 is not. Since all of the cummins/dodge trucks are wastegated, you probably can't find one that doesn't have a wastegate already. Some people upgrade the cummins trucks from the stock 12cm housing to a 16cm non-wastegated housing, but that would be way too big for a DSM motor.

dizuster said:
Yeah there is a difference, but you'd be hard pressed to find an hx35, hx35w is wastegated, hx35 is not. Since all of the cummins/dodge trucks are wastegated, you probably can't find one that doesn't have a wastegate already. Some people upgrade the cummins trucks from the stock 12cm housing to a 16cm non-wastegated housing, but that would be way too big for a DSM motor.
thanks for the info

Actuator getting in to the fans? Here's a new option

Attachments

• hxact.jpg
    hxact.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,423
  • hxact1.jpg
    hxact1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,415
  • hxact2.jpg
    hxact2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,403
I finally finished the install of the HX-35 and FMIC. Man I'm impressed with the spool with this. I'm useing the bulleye TH and I'm seeing 20 PSI at around 3900-4000 RPM. I also installed a WB and Profec B as well at the same time. Unfortunatly I found out after only driving the car for 10 minutes that my MAS was bad. I guess it was going out and I was seeing crazy amounts of airflow with the 14B like 2500 Hz of airflow which was putting me on a crazy high load map in the ECU. Now it barely runs with the bad MAF. With it unhooked it idles at 10:1 AFR which is crazy rich. Anyways.

I'm very impressed with the fast spool (fast for such a large turbo). I have some Pics of it installed along with some of the other strange things I did. I'll post the pics later on. I unfortunatly didn't get any pics during the install. It's clocked so that the outlet just points in front of the front motor mount. With 2 1/2" IC piping it's a very tight fit with the radiator. I'm going to have to get a Elbow welded on to fix that problem. Their is currenlty no fans on my car as I also have to buy a pusher fan as not even a slim fan will fit nicly between the turbo and Radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back