The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
86MCSS said:
Ok so out of all the turbos listed on post #32 which would be the best to have full spool around 3k rpm? I want to start searching but I want to know what would be the best for street/strip use? Like I mentioned before I would like full boost by around 3k rpm...so which would be better? :D

There are only two turbos on that list (h1c and variations, and hx/hy35 and variations), and neither will reach full boost at 3k rpm. Look elsewhere if you want full boost at 3k.

^^ The HX40 has a bigger compressor wheel and housing than the hx/hy35. It's not a variation, but rather a bigger wheel with a better flowing housing.

http://www.htturbo.com/dodge/index.html

That's a good website to read a little bit about sizes of holsets compressor wheels. You can take a hx35 and install an hx40 compressor housing that is machined to fit a 60mm wheel. Imagine the flow on that. OMG

I'll see if i can get some measurements... That way we can figure out what " trim" it is. The inducer really isnt that big, however the "rake" on the wheels( space between the inducer and exducer on the compressor wheel) is amazing.

Not to highjack this thread, nor x turbo vs. x turbo, but i am drawn between the hx-40 and the fp3065. i talked to david from bullseye yesterday, and he told the pros and cons about the bb/vs standard bearing, also about a 10lb give or take (no definate lb/min for holset) difference in airflow a min. between the two. I was wondering if anyone had any points, or opinions that could stear me into a decision. My instinct is "go with whats proven" but for about 1300-1500 less, the holset might be a good choice for my self, as long as spool threshold isnt night and day difference between the two....

EVIL X said:
Not to highjack this thread, nor x turbo vs. x turbo, but i am drawn between the hx-40 and the fp3065. i talked to david from bullseye yesterday, and he told the pros and cons about the bb/vs standard bearing, also about a 10lb give or take (no definate lb/min for holset) difference in airflow a min. between the two. I was wondering if anyone had any points, or opinions that could stear me into a decision. My instinct is "go with whats proven" but for about 1300-1500 less, the holset might be a good choice for my self, as long as spool threshold isnt night and day difference between the two....

Im right there with you. A couple of my friends have 20Gs and one has an Fpgreen and another an FPred and they all build peak boost about 3500-3700...I was looking for something about the same since I am use to it but like you said I want something that will work...I passed the idea by them since they arent big on forums and they thought it was a horrible idea..but I disagree. I hope to get more feedback from tuners who have tried these holset turbos and see what there likes and dis-likes are.

http://pictures.bullseyepower.com/

The Red 2g AWD is Mark Wolhers setup, made 549 at 20 psi on the HX-40 with every mod under the sun.

The Black 2g AWD is Nick Merfeld who ran a 7.62 and a 7.68 in the 1/8th mile on the HX-35.

EVIL X said:
You could probably send an email to someone at www.holset.co.uk, or you could call around for turbo/diesel shops in your area for people familiar with holsets. I know that the hx35 flows 60 lbs/min, so the 40 has to be more.

defrag010 said:
You could probably send an email to someone at www.holset.co.uk, or you could call around for turbo/diesel shops in your area for people familiar with holsets. I know that the hx35 flows 60 lbs/min, so the 40 has to be more.

Using what's on the web site and doing some math........ the HX-40 flows 70 lbs/min.

david at bullseye was very helpful, and people at forced always are, but i kinda am looking for "real life experience" if you want to put it that way. I am not afraid to spend the extra money.....but if it isnt necessary then why do it? i know that sounds contradicting, but the wheels on the hx40 look awesome, and the fp3065 is tried and true....

so i can honestly say i am still drawn =

can anyone else shed any light, at least i know now im not the only one stuck in the position :)

When you think about it this way: the HX-40 is somewhere around 70-72lbs/min. the 3065 is a max of 65lbs/min. granted thats not that much... but why would you want to pay $2000 for the whole FP setup... when you could get the same turbo and setup for like $1500. the only thing i dont like about my HX-40 is its an internal wastegate. i dont know how thats gonna hold up at 30+psi. but if you think about it... 540WHP on 20psi... youre looking at about 650+WHP at 30psi or less.

I mean FP makes badass turbos.. in fact i have thought about selling my holset and getting the FP67 turbo or bigger, but i want to try this one out first.

TIM

You have a good point, and i have looked at that point, and many others time, and time again.

Cost- much greater for fp3065
air flow- about 10lbs more give or take on hx40
wastegate setup-you can get holset in either/fp30 external only

the only reason i am still considering the fp30 is because of the goals it has accomplished already, i mean com'mon in the 9.40's w/o juice?? i am not trying to go after a 9 sec car, but its the accomplishments that matters to me, and another big thing is the ball bearing on fp30

basically i dont like doing things twice, but i am almost to the conclusion i can get the hx40, if i dont like it, sell it, loose a couple hunge and buy the 3065

what i am trying to eliminate by my posts are- stepping over the "if i dont like it" part and getting the better of two, and i know it is prob personal preference but i dont know about anyone else, i dont like to spend a total of 4k on turbos when i could of possibly spent slightly over 1100. or 2300

One thing that IS proven is that the load capacity on the thrust bearing on the holsets is insane. You will rarely ever see one with shaft play. Lots of people have 150k+ miles on their cummins trucks, and they're still on the stock hx35 and it has no play.
Holset has always been known as being the "rolls royce" of turbos in europe, while garret controlled the US market.

can or does anyone know spool up comparison between the two

fp3065
holset hx-40

taking into consideration motor spec would help with at what rpm...but if it was on same motor, rpm differences between I guess is how i would put it....

spool time will be around the same... even though the FP is ball bearing. you might be talking about 100-250rpms difference. The holset has a huge turbine wheel though. which is another reason why i bought it. in comparison the FP turbine wheel is like a stage 3 garrett( size wise) and the Holset( is infact a full T4)... which would be like a stage 5 garrett wheel.

both turbos have badass housings, the FP has a very fancy housing that is insanly efficient. and The holset uses a Bullseye-power turbing housing... which also is incredibly efficient. you really cant go wrong with either.. its gonna come down to what you want and what you are looking for. both turbos are in each others category. being as i have the holset i would say that its a better turbo for me. not necessarily a better turbo bar-none.. but a better turbo for me.

holset uses a full Race 360 degree thrust bearing as apposed to the garrett ball bearing. the thrust load of the holset is almost 2 times stronger than the ball bearing. ball bearing is more efficient arguable.

you've picked a good match of turbos. the garrett is tried and true. and the holsets the new badass on the block. thats the reason i bought one, to try something new. i mean its fun to follow every now and then, but mostly i like everyone to see the back of my car! ;)

TIM

98talonAWD, I have a hard time believing a turbo of that size will spool by 3700 on a stock bottom end. I mean people with 3065's are spooling early 4000 and they are full ball bearing turbos. Saying that a stroker will spool it up by 3000 rpm is a bit ridiculous as well. I am not flaming you or anything, just post spool times when you actually experience them. If you do get it to spool by 3000 I would consider you a DSM god.

I have an hx35. I bought off of e-bay for 175.00. I am going to be purchasing bullseye housing and waste gate. just wondering how this turbo will compare to my old b16g?I have ran the b16g at 21 lbs. my mods are 680's inj, fmic, 2gmas, stage3 chip kd, turbo back exh, and evo 02 housing. 1g crushed bov, palm and afc. what boost would you suggest I run the new turbo at? motor is completely stock.

^ I don't know what psi to run it at on a stock motor, but the HX35 is Quite a big step up from a B16G. The HX35 is capable of 500 hp, and is almost the exact same as a 60-1.

I'm posting what i was told by the supplier. i will get some numbers for you guys, but it wont be for a while. If anybody is interested i might be selling the HX-40 in favor of something bigger... so you can PM me if youre interested.

Thanks

TIM

Some turbine and compressor wheel dimensions would be super!!! Buying something that costs over a grand half blind just isnt very appealing. I have long known that Holset has some incredible compressor wheels. If they have something that is a good size I would try it out.

post 51 has a link that tells the compressor wheel size of the turbo. I think it's 58m. I think the turbine might be 70 mm, but I don't know if that's right.

I don't know how much this applies but there are many in the diesel performance crowd who have had problems with holset shafts breaking.

This is primarily those who modified their trucks and did'nt install an "anti-bark" system.. Thats bubba diesel truck speak for a blow off valve.. Since diesel engines have no throttle plate stock vehicles have no blow off valve system. Modified and running far above the 30 psi or so most are stock letting off the throttle fast at WOT can create a condition much like what happens on a gas engine when the throttle closes. Basically the turbo keeps trying to compress with no where to put the air and snap... So they run a tial and use a solenoid to switch manifold pressure to it since there is no vaccum port behind a throttle plate since there is no throttle plate.

There have been shaft failures (few) on holset equipped trucks with the blow off valve system. One shop I think piers talks about how much bigger the shaft is on their bomber series turbos (B1&B2)..

I still think that the hx-35 and hx-40 can POSSIBLY be a great economicial turbo that really can perform in a DSM... I just would'nt pay more than what a 50 trim or 56 trim would cost...

MNGSX said:
I don't know how much this applies but there are many in the diesel performance crowd who have had problems with holset shafts breaking.

This is primarily those who modified their trucks and did'nt install an "anti-bark" system.. Thats bubba diesel truck speak for a blow off valve.. Since diesel engines have no throttle plate stock vehicles have no blow off valve system. Modified and running far above the 30 psi or so most are stock letting off the throttle fast at WOT can create a condition much like what happens on a gas engine when the throttle closes. Basically the turbo keeps trying to compress with no where to put the air and snap... So they run a tial and use a solenoid to switch manifold pressure to it since there is no vaccum port behind a throttle plate since there is no throttle plate.

There have been shaft failures (few) on holset equipped trucks with the blow off valve system. One shop I think piers talks about how much bigger the shaft is on their bomber series turbos (B1&B2)..

I still think that the hx-35 and hx-40 can POSSIBLY be a great economicial turbo that really can perform in a DSM... I just would'nt pay more than what a 50 trim or 56 trim would cost...

That may well be true for HIGH boost levels, but for anything running 32psi and below, it's not going to happen. I can attest to the fact these things see 32psi consistantly (stock) and last more than 150K. I have YET to hear of a durabilty failure on the HY's.

Cummins collects and tears down nearly every motor (including turbo) that is run on durability. They build the best HD diesel motor period and want to stay there. This includes having a top notch, durable and reliable turbo attached to the motor. Holset is grade A. I just don't see anyone hitting critical boost levels that will cause damage in a DSM anytime soon.

Cummins collects and tears down nearly every motor (including turbo) that is run on durability. They build the best HD diesel motor period and want to stay there. This includes having a top notch, durable and reliable turbo attached to the motor. Holset is grade A. I just don't see anyone hitting critical boost levels that will cause damage in a DSM anytime soon.

Like I said.. It may not be valid concern on a DSM..

I have worked on cummins engines from the ISB, the ISX to engines too big for a one ton truck to pull. Some engines I have seen garret turbos on.... I dont think that any single make or model of turbo is perfect.

I am about to buy a HX35 from an 01 ram with 30K miles on it for $300 + shipping, are there any other places to get the turbos cheaper?

Also, anyone know what the stock wastegate is rated to (psi)?

thats a good deal, get it while you can, or tell me who it is and I will buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back