The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the thread, but where are you guys picking up the bullseye housings? The only place I could find them was turbo trader. On there, they are 160 for the housing, + 125 for the internal gate if you want it.

I looked at your thread with the pics. That thing is old. If I had to guess I would say probably H1E or bigger. All the newer Holsets has a area for a plate on the compressor housing. I have a HX52 in my garage and just looking at yours compared to the T25 kind of makes the HX52 look a tad larger.

I searched the thread, but where are you guys picking up the bullseye housings? The only place I could find them was turbo trader. On there, they are 160 for the housing, + 125 for the internal gate if you want it.

Where do you see the $125 for the internal? I see it at only $50 more.

Maglin> Yeah the Holset has a plate but it is gone. That is why I can't figure out what it is. It is sitting next to a 14b in the photo also. That thing is MUCH bigger than my HX35 so I don't know. Does anybody else know? Thanks, Keith.

I've been looking, And I can't find one single used hx40pro (the 6-blade compressor) for sale anywhere???

What trucks have these?

The HX40 pros come from Europe. They are hard to find new. Used will be even harder to find. I would suggust calling Josh at GRE Performance. He had one on his EVO and is now putting an S366 on it. He might still have his used one.

Yea, I'm looking for a used HX40pro, But since they are so rare. . .that means they'll cost lots more, correct? They seam to be the version that provides the most flow and is still 'streetable'.

I couldve sworn I saw one in the classifieds on here or dsmtrader. Check both...the person that was selling it wanted to trade it for a hx35 or cash...

Yea, I'm looking for a used HX40pro, But since they are so rare. . .that means they'll cost lots more, correct? They seam to be the version that provides the most flow and is still 'streetable'.

http://www.theturbotrader.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_37&products_id=47

They used to be on sale for 699, then 799 if I remember right.

Since you looking for used, you could do a hx35/ 6 bladed 40 hybrid, you can get the upgrade from HTT if you got someones used hx35 cheap.
http://www.htturbo.com/cu.htm The Stage IV is the 60mm 6 bladed compressor.

I bought my HX 35/40 used from Josh when he went to the straight 40 a couple of years ago. With what turned out to be a 2g tranny I mistakenly got from TeamRIP and tuning with DSMchips and a GM MAF translator I was able to get 11.68 at 122 on street tires, AWD 3-bolt. I am fairly confidant with the correct tranny and a professional tune I could have squeaked out a 10.999.
Now with the Switzer's availability they seem to be the new turbo of choice for Bullseye.
Question here is did BE ever come out with a .70a/r that was rumored a while back? I have been out of the DSM's since mine overheated.
The Holset and Buschur motor with stage 4 crowers was amazing but making the real power at 6k rpm's and shifting at 8500rpm's with the wrong tranny took some of the enjoyment out of it!

http://www.theturbotrader.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_37&products_id=47

They used to be on sale for 699, then 799 if I remember right.

Since you looking for used, you could do a hx35/ 6 bladed 40 hybrid, you can get the upgrade from HTT if you got someones used hx35 cheap.
http://www.htturbo.com/cu.htm The Stage IV is the 60mm 6 bladed compressor.

Thank you. But to verify, that stage IV upgrade that turns your setup into a holset hybrid mentions:

Note: Some 1994 WH1C turbos have been replaced in the field with HX35W turbos so verify your turbo part number with us.​

This two threads are sooo full of info. Iforgot if the HC1 compressor is interchangable w/ the HX35 compressor.

And I could be wrong, but it looks like the hx35 guys are running out of steam before they're maxing out on the compressor map. This leads me to believe that at least the BEP turbine housing is not enough for the compressor on a gasoline application. But it looks like the HX40 guys go much farther. . . Am I out in left field? These threads are so long I may be running facts together wrong in my head.

BTW, what is the common concensus on converting cfm to a rough hp estimate? Teh 2003-2004.5 hx35 compressor map shows up to almost 900 cfm airflow!

BTW, you all know that no hx40 compressor map in these threads show even 60 lbs/min airflow. I can definately see holset overkilling their numbers like garrett, but not by well over 10 lbs/min. ???

That means that an HY35 flows enough to match or exceed a 6 blade HX40pro according the compressor maps. . . And on the second page of the first holset thread, we see that the 2001 and 2002 hy35 comes w/ the 9cm single port turbine housing. "I'd like to think" that based on the diameter of the the HY35 turbine wheel (65mm turbine wheel which = 2.55905") that this will flow quit well and still spool ok for a gasoline 4 cylinder.

What I'm saying is that I don't know if the 65mm number quoted in the first page of the first thread is inducer or exducer diameter for the hy35 turbine. A t3 stage 3 has a 2.555" inducer (major) diameter. A t4 p trim has a 2.542" exducer diameter. What is the diameters of the holset turbines?

Thank you. But to verify, that stage IV upgrade that turns your setup into a holset hybrid mentions:

Note: Some 1994 WH1C turbos have been replaced in the field with HX35W turbos so verify your turbo part number with us.​

This two threads are sooo full of info. Iforgot if the HC1 compressor is interchangable w/ the HX35 compressor.

And I could be wrong, but it looks like the hx35 guys are running out of steam before they're maxing out on the compressor map. This leads me to believe that at least the BEP turbine housing is not enough for the compressor on a gasoline application. But it looks like the HX40 guys go much farther. . . Am I out in left field? These threads are so long I may be running facts together wrong in my head.

BTW, what is the common concensus on converting cfm to a rough hp estimate? Teh 2003-2004.5 hx35 compressor map shows up to almost 900 cfm airflow!

BTW, you all know that no hx40 compressor map in these threads show even 60 lbs/min airflow. I can definately see holset overkilling their numbers like garrett, but not by well over 10 lbs/min. ???
I apologize for that mistake , they recently completely changed their website and I misread it. They used to have them seperated out better.

It is the stage 3.5 further up on the page that has the 60mm compressor for the Hx35. Ufortunately the HX series does not have the removable backing plate like the H series does, so the center section has to be sent in to be machined to fit the larger wheel. Makes this look a little less inviting.

For reference my dead HX40 ( a 58mm 7 bladed compressor) uses a turbine wheel that is 2.495" at the exducer and 2.968" an the inducer.

For reference my dead HX40 ( a 58mm 7 bladed compressor) uses a turbine wheel that is 2.495" at the exducer and 2.968" an the inducer.

Yea. More and more, it looks like that deisel engines use a relatively small turbine wheel and great big turbine housing. those dimensions favor a P-trim turbine wheel. An HX40 should then flow much like a ptrim on the hotside in a BEP housing. Which actually flows great in a BEP housing, IMHO.

A 7blade is almost as good as a 6blade according to the compressor maps provided (assuming that the low flow map = the 8blade and the high flow map = the 6blade).

Yea. More and more, it looks like that deisel engines use a relatively small turbine wheel and great big turbine housing. those dimensions favor a P-trim turbine wheel. Which actually flows great in a BEP housing, IMHO.

A 7blade is almost as good as an 8blade according to the compressor maps provided (assuming that the low flow map = the 8blade and the high flow map = the 6blade). An HX40 should then flow much like a ptrim on the hotside in a BEP housing.
Jesus, I must be more tired than I thought another typo. It's been a long week. Mine was an 8 blade.

The thing I really wish was these other turbo manufacturers(holset, borg warner) would provide the kind and depth of information that Garrett does for their turbos. There is so much that is left as guesswork for anyone but an OEM. :(

Not sure if has been posted here yet, but found a few more Holset Maps HERE.

Also found these Tech Guides for the following Holset Models:

H Models
HE Models
HX Models
Pre-H Models
VG models

Not sure if anyone's seen this new SS Housing from High Tech Turbo, but looks not to be BEP (don't think they even support Holsets since going with the BW) though is in rather large 13cm (1.0ish) and 16cm (1.2ish) A/Rs :dsm:

Not sure if anyone's seen this new SS Housing from High Tech Turbo, but looks not to be BEP (don't think they even support Holsets since going with the BW) though is in rather large 13cm (1.0ish) and 16cm (1.2ish) A/Rs :dsm:

Those Stainless Housings from HTT ARE made by BEP. Those GOLDEN Nuggett turbos are great performer for the Diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back