The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

holset turbo...hx35?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14spectre88

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2009
H.B. SoCal, California
I just bought a turbo from a wrecked 95 dodge ram, 12valve cummins turbo diesel engine, 5 speed. I'm assuming it's an HX35 but I would like some sort of confirmation...can someone help me with this?

nah, its not a holset 35, but you can send it to me and ill pay shipping............................ j/k it is most likely a hx35. is there numbers on it? post the numbers. or you can search the holset thread , and they have all the numbers listed

I haven't received it yet so I don't know what numbers are on it :( is there anyway to tell just by the model of the truck? thanks.

p.s. you scared me at first glance of that post! hahah

by the year and it being a 5-speed, it may be one of the better hx 35's

5. give rep points when someone helps you................................me LOL

sorry, i had to say that. i just seen it on another thread. monkey see-monkey do

well it's an 8 blade wheel but I'm gonna convert it to a hybrid after a nice rebuild. I'm just hoping to god it is in fact an hx35. I'll tell you what...if it is I'll give you rep :D

well, it would def. be a hx 35 for the year and model. so if its not, it would be at least that if not it would be a upgrade, so it would even be better

by the year and it being a 5-speed, it may be one of the better hx 35's

5. give rep points when someone helps you................................me LOL

sorry, i had to say that. i just seen it on another thread. monkey see-monkey do

Yeah, negative rep. The 8-blade compressor isn't the "better" HX35. Before you beg for rep you may want to do a little research yourself.

From the very first page of the latest Holset thread:

"Summary provided by wiseman, Dsm-onster:

HX35:

The 8blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on 1995-1998 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 52 lb/min according to the compressor map. The bolton BEP housing (0.55 a/r) is enough to push the limit of the compressor. There's several 500whp 8blade hx35 cars out there with the bolt on housing. It reaches 20+psi by 3500rpms in 3rd with 272 cams. Smaller cams would equal a faster spool speed in most cases.

The 7blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on the 1999-2002 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 60lb/min according to the compressor map and logged results from a member here. The bolton BEP housing with the hx35 turbine wheel do not SEAM to have enough flow to really reach the potential of 60lb/min. But many have logged over 50lb/min so far and seen 500whp. The stock hx35 12cm^2 twinscroll turbine housing is a t3 flange housing. This mated to a NON-divided runner manifold has produced a 132mph trap speed with a full weight 1g AWD. This is about 600whp. So the flow is there with the stock housing if you use a non-divided manifold. The spool speed of the 7blade hx35 is similar to the 8blade hx35 with 20+ psi by 3500rpms in the bolton housing and by 4000rpms with the stock housing with a non-divided manifold.
"

Whew....I worked up a sweat on that one.

dang it! it's a wh1c... I guess it's the same as an hx35 but with a v-band. Do you guys think I should still keep it and still make a hybrid out of it (6 blade 60mm compressor wheel), or should I get an hx35?

dang it! it's a wh1c... I guess it's the same as an hx35 but with a v-band. Do you guys think I should still keep it and still make a hybrid out of it (6 blade 60mm compressor wheel), or should I get an hx35?
It depends what you're looking for airflow-wise. I would think the turbine would be a huge restriction for a 60mm 6-blade HX40 compressor with just about any of the housings available for our cars. If it were a Garrett, you'd essentially be putting a GT35R compressor wheel on a T31 (Stage 3) turbine.

If you want a HX40, buy a HX40. If you want a HX35, buy a HX35. Don't settle and build something that will be inefficient and make you unhappy with the airflow results.

Sorry for the dumb question but are holset turbos water cooled and oil cooled or just oil?
What changes making it a hybrid?

Most Holsets are oil-cooled only as they are intended for use on diesel applications, and the exhaust on older diesels is quite cool in comparison to gasoline exhaust. I expect that to change with the onset of newer diesels with hotter EGT's due to reduced emission demands.

The term Hybrid refers to putting a large compressor together with a small turbine in an attempt to gain airflow without excessive lag. Too great of a difference is wheel size is not a good thing, however.

It depends what you're looking for airflow-wise. I would think the turbine would be a huge restriction for a 60mm 6-blade HX40 compressor with just about any of the housings available for our cars. If it were a Garrett, you'd essentially be putting a GT35R compressor wheel on a T31 (Stage 3) turbine.

If you want a HX40, buy a HX40. If you want a HX35, buy a HX35. Don't settle and build something that will be inefficient and make you unhappy with the airflow results.

I figure, from what I've read, that the h1c is identical to the hx35 (as far as compressor and turbine wheels) and I know the hx35/40 hybrid can flow some major air. With that said, I'm pretty confident it would be a competent turbo. I wouldn't consider this setup 'inefficient,' however, especially since the compressor would be only 4mm larger. Yet, this is speculation on my part. I guess it would all come down to reviewing the data. does anyone know what the compressor map looks like for a hybrid setup?

Sorry for the dumb question but are holset turbos water cooled and oil cooled or just oil?
What changes making it a hybrid?

ask jusmx141.......he knows it all
to the op, i thought it came off a 99, thats why i stated that

dont you have something better to do than instigate?

Not at the moment...

But then again I'm not the one that directed the smart-a_s comment towards a wiseman who actually does know it all when it comes to DSM turbos (or at least more than just about anyone else on this site except for DSMonster maybe).

He was right, you were wrong. Lighten up and deal with it. LOL

does anyone know what the compressor map looks like for a hybrid setup?
I don't think you understand.

The compressor map will be the same no matter what turbine wheel and housing is bolted to it. Say the compressor map for a 6-blade 60mm compressor peaks at 69lb/min.....that does not mean that is the airflow you should expect to see no matter what, it means that is the airflow the compressor is capable of generating. You will be limited to the amount of airflow the turbine can handle, so if you bolt a 69lb/min compressor wheel to a turbine that can only flow 60lb/min, you're only going to make 60lb/min. The only thing you will have gained will be lag over what a guy with a comparable and better-balanced (in terms of airflow) 60lb/min setup will have.

This is why most of the Garrett hybrid setups these days are complete BS. These companies will mate just about anything to a Stage 3 Garrett turbine and expect it to flow whatever the compressor throws at it. Take a PTE SCM6031E for example- they took a compressor with 60lb/min potential and mated it to a small T31 turbine (smaller than a TD06) then shoved it into a DSM bolt-on housing. What they ended up with is a 60-1 turbo that cannot outflow a 50-trim in stock form.

If you decide to go through with the hybrid build, don't end up with a Holset version of a 6031E. :pray:

ask jusmx141.......he knows it all
Apparently somebody thinks so, hence the specific title I was issued by the moderators.

(Keep in mind I got where I am without ever asking for reputation; especially on posts where I was possibly issuing the wrong information.)

thanks for the info jusmx141. just for clarification, how much larger is the turbine wheel on an hx40/h1e over a hx35/h1c? there's no specific info in the holset thread about this. I mean, they could be the same size, right? If this was the case then it should output the same as an hx40, assuming the comp wheels are the same size.

EDIT: I guess I can answer my own question here. I think I understand now master wiseman:

The 8blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on 1995-1998 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 52 lb/min according to the compressor map. The bolton BEP housing (0.55 a/r) is enough to push the limit of the compressor. There's several 500whp 8blade hx35 cars out there with the bolt on housing. It reaches 20+psi by 3500rpms in 3rd with 272 cams. Smaller cams would equal a faster spool speed in most cases.

The 7blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on the 1999-2002 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 60lb/min according to the compressor map and logged results from a member here. The bolton BEP housing with the hx35 turbine wheel do not SEAM to have enough flow to really reach the potential of 60lb/min. But many have logged over 50lb/min so far and seen 500whp. The stock hx35 12cm^2 twinscroll turbine housing is a t3 flange housing. This mated to a NON-divided runner manifold has produced a 132mph trap speed with a full weight 1g AWD. This is about 600whp. So the flow is there with the stock housing if you use a non-divided manifold. The spool speed of the 7blade hx35 is similar to the 8blade hx35 with 20+ psi by 3500rpms in the bolton housing and by 4000rpms with the stock housing with a non-divided manifold.

The 8blade hx40 has a 58mm inducer and flows about the same as a 60-1 (around 60lb/min) with ALOT better high boost efficiency and spool speed. It is the most common hx40 out there. The small bep housing with the hx40 turbine wheel is plenty to reach the full potential of the 60lb/min 8blade hx40 compressor. 20+ psi by 4100rpms with 272s.

sorry for doubting...

thanks for the info jusmx141. just for clarification, how much larger is the turbine wheel on an hx40/h1e over a hx35/h1c? there's no specific info in the holset thread about this. I mean, they could be the same size, right?
HX35:
Turbine Inducer - 69mm
Turbine Exducer - 60mm

HX40:
Turbine Inducer - 76mm
Turbine Exducer - 64mm

The difference is significant; just as significant as the difference between the HX35 and HX40 compressors.

I guess I'm getting an hx40 :hellyeah:
Wise choice. Here's mine:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back