The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset "race series" turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optical

Probationary Member
Jun 13, 2009
Auckland, Asia
Hi, I'm posting here as im a newbie with not much DSM related material to add, but want to get straight to my question as users of this forum have without any doubts the most knowledge on Holset turbos. Perhaps a mod can move the thread to the tech section later if deemed worthy.

There has been some mention around the world of a new "Holset race series" turbo. There are a few outlets around Europe or Scandenavia selling them.

Here is a link to the info http://www.proturbo.fi/holset.jpg

I'm trying to find out more about them, but they appear to be some kind of private assembly of Holset and maybe non-Holset parts. Certainly Holset as a manufacturer doesnt have any info on a 'race series' turbo.

Do holset produce a water cooled core? - I cant find any info on this
Do Holset make a 54/77mm compressor? - I cant find any info on that either.

The HX35 turbine wheel appears genuine and maybe Holset compressor and turbine housings. Other than that, I dont know whether these turbos are a slap together job or careful selection of oem and other components to make a great turbo. Would be interested to hear others opinions.

Ive searched but not found anything on these particular things. I assumed it was a genuine turbine wheel due to dimensions but I suppose that could be a fake/third party too.
What have you seen of these before? Does the CHRA look like a genuine holset?

Ive seen some people local to me using them and rating their results highly (no reports on longevity yet) so hadn't written these off as china specials yet. Thought it may have been some creative use of OEM parts from various manufacturers.

You can't see dick from any of those pictures to know anything about anything

It's fake buddy, eapecially if you can't find anything on it, holset isnt one to hide things like information.

The tags aren't real, they just say in huge letters HX40, the company looks like pro turbochargers, which is probably an ebay company. It's fake fake fake. Like i said search up cou terfit holset and find the info on genuine vs fake.

Definitely a fake, holset is consistent with there blue identification badges

Well this is interesting - I called some local Cummins and Holset agents to get their opinion. They say they arent assembled by Holset themselves (we know that, obviously) but one of the Holset parts agents is piecing these things together from various OEM parts. Apprently Holset do do a 54/77 comrpessor and also do a water cooled CHRA for their 'natural gas' based turbos (I havent come across these before. Not sure what to think now.

They're either very strange looking, refurbished, poorly measured, genuine Holset units. Or very well done knock-offs that might use some genuine Holset parts.

Here's my freshly refurbished, genuine Holset H1E (60mm). I've personally never seen a 60mm H1E that looked any different.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's the Pro Turbo "tuning-charger", which is obviously supposed to be a 60mm 8-blade H1E. Right away I can tell you the compressor cover, v-band clamp, and compressor nut are not genuine. It really looks like they copied the HX40 cover, but added a v-band attachment and left the outlet raw. I'm also suspicious of the tag since it's Blue and has no rivets. Every 60mm H1E I've seen has a black/red tag like mine. Not to mention the missing ear on the mounting base.

Here's a better pic. I wouldn't expect to see a tag since it isnt a run of the mill model that Holset produce...

Perhaps this simply is a case of doing what we have all been doing for years, taking a careful selection of parts and housings to create a great turbo? If an OEM parts source were available it wouldnt be difficult to put these things together...

Here's a better pic. I wouldn't expect to see a tag since it isnt a run of the mill model that Holset produce...

Perhaps this simply is a case of doing what we have all been doing for years, taking a careful selection of parts and housings to create a great turbo? If an OEM parts source were available it wouldnt be difficult to put these things together...

You seem to have a real hard on for these "holsets". Buy one and prove everyone wrong. No one can be 100% sure its junk. Maybe your right, but the odds are stacked against you.

Unless you find someone who has bought and ran that EXACT same turbo from that site you can only go by what the more experienced members here are telling you. Its your money, give it a shot. I can tell you are one of those guys looking for one tiny bit of positive feedback on this product so you can justify splurging. Just hush up and go put ## CC number in and be done with it. I can tell your gonna buy the damn thing no matter what......

Haha my intentions aren't clear, so - I already have an Hx35 and HX40 that I think are great, have been running them for years. I have no intention of buying any others.

I was interested in these turbos as they have recently been offered for sale in my country (NZ), whereas typically they have been very hard to come by, especially with a suitably sized turbine housing. The only mention of them outside NZ that I can find is as mentioned in the first post, hence me asking whether anyone here has already considered these specific turbos. They might be fake, might not, might be partly fake. Seems as though no one has any more info on them, which would be unfortunate if they were genuine.

At any rate, the small amount of info out there has seen some good results from these turbos. So maybe they are representative of some good wheel and turbine sizes for those putting something custom together from genuine parts. Although most of that info is already out there :)

That turbo is nothing more than a 7-blade HX35 in a stock 14cm housing, it's not uncommon and doesn't require any rare/special parts to build. Their unit just gives the option of water cooling which is pointless for most applications. And it's not difficult at all to take a fake CHRA and slap new housings on it. Most wouldn't even notice it in their own hands.

With a price of over $1,000 I'd expect nothing but a brand new, legitimate Holset turbo from a verified dealer or freelancer. Even then, most of us didn't even pay 1/4 of that for our turbos. I believe Urbansmoker yanked that HX52 off a semi truck himself and I paid a Honda guy $50 for my legit H1E. I know being on the other side of the world doesn't help, but that's no reason to accept inferior parts for genuine retail prices.

If you want a different turbine housing on your HX35 or HX40, then just buy a turbine housing. The Diesel truck guys practically throw away smaller housings due their restriction, the import guys use the larger housings as doorstops, and BEP sells brand new stainless steel housings in both .55/Mitsu and .70/T3 flavors. So turbine housings aren't exactly hard to find.

Well, the hx40 pro they have listed is a bit over 1,000 USD(at current rates) so since you have had good luck with your current turbos, why not just have one rebuilt? You can get a rebuilt 6 blade for around $500usd plus a couple hundred more for a t3 housing. Thats pretty cheap and you have a sure fire holset. Sorry to come off like a dick but it seemed you were heading down a familiar path ive seen many members here go on. Ask a question and only want one answer LOL.

Oorrrrrrrr, since you have 5 posts perhaps you know the company that sells these "holsets"? hehehe, my conspiracy theory acting up again. Thats probably not the case at all. Well, best of luck on buying or researching or um, whatever it is you are looking for.

Question: You make it sound like its hard to get holsets in NZ. Perhaps a BW or Garrett is available? Or even a PTE, ive had good luck with mine(so far)

Also, and this is it, i swear LOL: heres a link for some info on all holset related stuff
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/362444-holset-turbos-faq.html

Edit: wes beat me

If you have a 1000$+ budget you could get an fp turbo,

I got my hx52 from gold farb on ebay for 150, didn't pull it off a semi, but ive almost gone hunting at the semi junk yard a few times.

My hx40 was 700$ brand new never used from cummins themselves (justin helped me out here) granted it had no turbine housing, but still. 1000$ for something that could potentially be fake and could blow into a million pieces isnt worth it personally.

Last edited:
Hi, just my 2 cents here :
Holsets are popular in Scandinavia, so many turbo shops there have knowledge of Holset part numbers, and they mix and match Holset parts to create the highest performing versions.
So you dont have to look around diesel forums, junkyards for used Holsets and wondering how will it perform since each Holset came type in tens of versions.
Those turbo shops take the guesswork out and you get a brand new turbo.
Their prices are still relatively cheap if you look at Garrett, FP, Precision, Borg Warner, etc, and comparable to Holset pricing I get from my local Cummins/Holset dealer.
And those turbo shops remove or erase the ID tag and part numbers on the turbo as the part numbers are their trade secrets, and then they put their own ID tag on the turbo.
Now the problem is we dont know whether those turbo shops use genuine Holset parts in creating their turbo or mix it with fake Chinese part (although Holset do have a factory in China, one of my genuine hx35 I buy from my local Cumins/Holset distributor clearly stated it was built in Wuxi China by Wuxi Cummins Turbo Technologies Co. Ltd), so need to research which one of those turbo shops have good reputation in their country.

Actually I have done what those turbo shops do, I made a hx55 pro by installing hx50/52/55 pro 98mm x 71 mm compressor wheel to a regular hx55 which have the 98 mm x 65 mm compressor wheel. I also found a hx50pro which have the 98mm x 71 mm compressor wheel from Holset however it was 3 times more expensive than the regular hx55. So I ask the Holset distributor will they supply me the hx50/52/55 pro compressor wheel, and they say yes. So I buy a regular hx55 and a hx50/55/52 pro compressor wheel, bring it to the best local turbo service shop to get the wheel installed, balanced, and the compressor housing machined to fit the bigger compressor wheel.
My research has found at least 1 Scandinavian turbo shops seems really good and uses genuine Holset parts : KKD Motorsport
There is one of their customer in Supraforums dynoed KKD's hx40super (7 blade 86 mm x 60 mm compressor wheel, T3 twin scroll 16cm2 housing, on T3 divided manifold build by KKD) on Supra's 2jzgte engine and got 615 whp iirc.

Optical, you are in New Zealand? I have found Steve Murch Engineering sales the Holset Race Series just like you posted, also: HOLSET Performance Turbos
I was quoted NZD 2000 by turbochargersnz for a custom hx52pro with choices of turbine housing starting from 11cm2. I suspect they get their holsets from the Scandinavians.

They shave off the Id tags for trade secret reasons???? The tag info has only the info the Compressor housing that came with what eer turbo it came with. It doesnt give away shit, they do it because they are rip off turbos weather you like it or not. Theres no way they put the R&D that holset does to show that these turbos they create are safe if burst or any of the other testing real manufacturer does, take slowboy racing for instance, they created "their own" turbos, but look how shitty they are.

These turbos are being advertised as holset when in fact they are not, that= fake

Urbansmoker, the ID tags is the key to a Holset turbo, as it has the part number of the turbo, which when you bring the part number to your local Cummins/Holset distributor then they can supply you any parts used for the turbo (housings, wheels, clamps, bolts, bearings, seals,etc).
Thats how I get my hx50/52/55 pro compressor wheel. I was lucky when I came asking for hx5x turbo, they have several types of hx50 in stock all with different part number on their ID tag, when they gave it to me and I measure the compressor inducer I knew one of it was a hx50pro.
So the distributor then run the part number on the ID tag of the hx50pro on their computer with Holset online catalog for distributors and they get price quote on the hx50/52/55 pro wheel and the availability of it.
The distributor said, they dont know what a hx52pro or hx40super is, or supply me a hx40 t3 twin scroll turbine housing a/r 16cm2 with 4 inch v-band outlet as they dont know what part number is it, they said as long as i give them part number from a turbo ID tag they can get me any parts used to construct that turbo.
I place my order and get the wheel 2 weeks later.
With Holset distributor you have to talk in part numbers to get them to know what you want.

Sorry, I don't buy it. It sounds like an excuse to use knockoff parts without the customers knowledge. If you really wanted to know, you could just measure the new parts and cross-reference the dimensions to find part numbers. Plus, I would never let someone modify my turbo if they couldn't tell me the upgrade specs. It's a turbocharger, not NASA's Mars Rover.

That also doesn't explain why the tag is missing on these Pro Turbo units. They are not some fancy custom built hybrid unit. They use stock spec wheels and housings, so they're no better than one you'd find at a scrap yard. And that's assuming they use actual Holset parts, which doesn't seem likely considering the compressor covers alone look pretty questionable...

Hi Wes, of course we cant know for sure whether those turbo shops (kkd, pro turbo, turbochargersnz, etc) use all genuine Holset parts or not. Thats the risk when not buying new from Holset distributor. Now, whether that risk is worthed with getting the pros and supers series of Holset easily, with your choice of turbine housings, watercooled, etc, it's up for the customer to decide. And as far as I know at least kkdmotorsports I linked above seems to have solid reputation in Scandinavia.
For me, I will keep nagging my local Holset distributor to get measurements on turbos they have in stock, but it sure takes time to find the pros and supers of Holset, if the distributor even stock one.
And Holsets really have so many variations as I find in the Holset distributor shop, I have seen there hx35s with 3 inch v-band compressor outlet, 2,5 inch slip hose compressor outlet, long compressor inlet tube, short compressor inlet tube, anti surge ported or not, etc. So I wont judge a genuine Holset or fake just by looks, only buying from Holset distributor guarantees its 100% genuine.
For buying rebuild genuine Holsets, how do you know the rebuilder dont use fake rebuilt kits? We can only trust the rebuilder reputation on that front.

Compressor cover tag number wouldnt matter to be removed if your custom fitting covers on different compressor wheels/chra's. It would only have the info the of the turbo/application the compressor cover came with. As i said before trade secret my ass, i agree with wes, plus, who the hell from the usa or canada would go buy a scandinavian turbo. It is all just fishy. You prob work for one of those companies. (5 posts, and from asia)

Last edited:
Urban, no I dont work for those companies and I get my Holsets brand new and genuine from my local Holset distributor, not from one of those companies. Here no one is using Holsets, so I join dsmtuners to learn as much as possible about holsets, but my car are not dsm so I dont post much.
If some one have good relation with some one in Scandinavia who can confirm which of the turbo shops there are legit, may be it is worth to try buy from them? With the ID tag removal still fishy though I agree with you and Wes there, and thats why I buy my Holsets new from Holset distributor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back