The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset HX35 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbwu1f

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2009
West Palm Beach, Florida
I tried to post on the Turbo System Tech but I don't have 30 post yet so I can't. I'm going to be upgrading to a HX35 soon, after I'm finished with all my maintenance. I do have a 1G auto and I'm planning on going with a 7 blade HX35 with the .55 BEP housing. I'm going to run the stock wastegate and want to know if my radiator fan is going to be on the way? I am getting the VR-Speed FMIC kit and a slim A/C fan, so I should be good on that side. Also I do plan on tuning with Maf Translator until I save enough to buy a used DSMLink and ECU. I do have a Walbro 255 and FuelLab FPR and about to order some injector (800-1000cc). Would I be OK running 25psi on that setup?

You fan will probably be in the way. Mine was. I had a slim fan and had to trim it (broke some of the grate pieces out of it) to get it to fit. I dont have a puller fan on the drivers side, just one on the passenger side and I had to trim that one because of the actuator. Honestly, I DO NOT recommend the internal wastegate option. I had it on my car and had nothing but issues with it. The flapper itself did not move well in the housing, so it would stick open causing the turbo to lag, and then it wouldnt open all the way causing it to creep to 25psi. But if you do want to go that route, let me know I have 2 internal wastegate acutators for the holset for sale. One that opens at 20psi and the other opens at 15(good to use if you want to run less then 20psi). You can do a search for my posts and see what I had to say about the internal

I had a feeling that it was not going to fit without some modification. Well I'm trying to run more than 20 so I don't think I'm going to need your wastegates. I don't really think it's worth putting a Holset in your car if your not running more than 25 pounds at least. What kind of boost are you running, and how does your IDC look like with those 750cc?

I havent looked at my IDCs yet. I really havent been getting on it because of all the boost issues I was having. My car is my DD and doesnt like more then 20psi on pump gas. So I run 20psi daily and crank it up to 23 or so on race gas for the track. The flapper was the big issue with the BEP. It kept getting hung up and didnt operate smoothly at all. If I wasnt having that issue, I would have kept it internal. Since, I was having all thos issues, I switched to external and the turbo spools much faster.

Don't expect to keep it your dd if you keep modding it and not keeping it in a healthy range, just do another boost leak and find a way to get it tuned so it doesn't go boom.

A few things wrong with your projected setup.

- The 7-blade HX35 compressor cannot reach it's full potential in the DSM bolt-on housing; you're honestly better off with an 8-blade so you'll have a little additional airflow benefit at lower boost levels.

- HX35's and internal wastegates don't get along very well. An internal gate on a 50+ lb/min turbo does not like to stay shut at higher boost levels, and will never be able to stay shut enough to allow either compressor to reach it's full flow potential. You're better off using the additional funds spent on an internal gate setup and putting it toward a Punishment o2 housing and external gate.

Don't expect to keep it your dd if you keep modding it and not keeping it in a healthy range, just do another boost leak and find a way to get it tuned so it doesn't go boom.

I have been keeping the car healthy.I was just having some boost issues.it was boosting too much,I couldn't get less then 25psi.I have done a few boost leak test and I have none.I'm lucky enough to have a wide range of cars to drive when the talon isn't running th way I want.when having the boost issue and driving the talon,I just never went wot and it was fine.I havet looked at the idcs yet because I haven't even gone wot yet all they way to redline yet.I ran a bolt on 50trim internally gated and had no issues from 15psi to 25psi.the bep housings internal gate,just doent seem like a good quality flapper/arm fit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back