The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Holset hx35 o2 housing PLEASE HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
I have an hx35 8 blade with the twin scroll t3 hotside on it. I got a huge deal on buying a t3 manifold and tial 38mm external wastegate with o2 housing. The o2 housing i got with it doesnt match up to the holset hotside so i cant use the o2 that came with it.. What can i do to make it work?

The reason im having trouble is because the manifold i got doesnt have a spot for an external wg to bolt up to it, so i have to run the wastegate off of the o2 housing. I really cant spend anymore money on buying another mani ect so im gonna have to make something work. I was thinking about maybe buying a holset flange off ebay and then welding pipe to it to make the external wg and dump tube work along with the downpipe? Is there any other ways that i can fix this problem? Please help guys my car will be done this week after a 9 month build and im so anxious to get the car back on the road :)

You have to run a wastegate on the manifold with that housing...there's no possible way to use an external gate on the o2 housing because the wastegate hole in the Holset turbine housing isn't in it's own separate chamber like our factory turbine housings.

Sell the manifold, buy one that works, and fab your own custom o2 housing...that's your only option if you're planning to run that turbine housing.

You have to run a wastegate on the manifold with that housing...there's no possible way to use an external gate on the o2 housing because the wastegate hole in the Holset turbine housing isn't in it's own separate chamber like our factory turbine housings.

Sell the manifold, buy one that works, and fab your own custom o2 housing...that's your only option if you're planning to run that turbine housing.

I seen a picture that someone made an o2 housing for that holset it was the stock holset t3 hotside and they ran a pipe off the o2 opening to an external wastegate and dumped it and the other opening for the exhaust they ran another pipe to run to the downpipe. Would something like that work? Heres a picture of what im talking about.

Attachments

• holset o2 housing.jpg
    holset o2 housing.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 783
Where could I get one of those wastegate provisions? I didn't think of doing that I could probably do that no problem since I weld I could plasma cut into it and weld the provision in then just make an o2 housing to the downpipe

Where could I get one of those wastegate provisions? I didn't think of doing that I could probably do that no problem since I weld I could plasma cut into it and weld the provision in then just make an o2 housing to the downpipe
Forget about an o2 housing, delete it. If you are going to use a t3 manifold with a holset, you are better off forgetting the o2 housing ever existed. It is only there to bring together the wastegate flapper passage and the hotside outlet to recirculate the wastegate. Since you need to gate your setup off the manifold, there is no need to use one. Chop the flange on your downpipe and fabricate it to mate with your hotside, replacing the lost space where the o2 housing used to be. Weld on a o2 sensor bung and call it a day.

Nonetheless im going to feed you all the info you need to create a wastegate provision from your manifold without a wastegate provision. I'm guessing this t3 manifold is at least a decent piece, if it is a piece of shit ebay manifold stop reading and purchase a bullseye housing and go with a MHI holset setup. There is more than a few people on here running that successfully. But if you really want to keep it, read on:

You'll need a flange for your tial wastegate manifold provision. Since you said 38mm, that could be either the older style two bolt or MVS style. If you have the 2 bolt, flange is here:

38mm Weld Wastegate Tapped Flange, Stainless : atpturbo.com

or if you have the MVS vband, flange is here:

Flange, Tial V-banded 38mm MVS (V38) Wastegate Inlet Flange : atpturbo.com

You will need to at least have the flange spaced from the manifold for welding and fitment sake. Again, I don't know your manifold so I don't know what kind of bend you need to make it fit, maybe a 45, maybe a 90. You can also chop down to size, but go with schedule 10 piping, it is stronger and can hold the weight of your wastegate vs standard stainless. It will need to be down by the collector near the hotside connection, past where the runners open up to the hotside. I'll link you the 90 degree, you'll need at least that or have to cut it anyways to fit the wastegate the way you want it:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...de=TP&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-121&Category_Code=

Now that you have your gate attached to your manifold, dump it. It is easy and effective. Youll need another flange, again either 38mm 2 bolt: (same as inlet)

Or 38mm MVS vband outlet flange:

Flange, Tial V-banded 38mm MVS (V38) Wastegate Outlet Flange : atpturbo.com

MVS gates have different inlet and outlet vband flanges. If you have the 2 bolt, make sure to get gaskets.

As far as a tube to dump, a 45 degree works well to navigate around the hotside and down. You can also go straight, here is the 45 anyways:

Stainless Steel 1.5" Diameter 45 Degree : atpturbo.com

Good examples of ways to route the provision and dump tube are the ERL manifold or any of the Punishment/JMF/JHR/STM/Shearer manifolds. Mine is divided so not really exactly what you are going to want to do, but the parts list I gave you is the same as used on my manifold, which apparently isnt made by punishment anymore. Here is one almost exactly the same, showing the wastegate inlet flange off the manifold connected to the schedule 10 piping coming out from the collector:

http://www.punishment-racing.com/pu...lipse-talon-on-sale-order-today-and-save-150/

There is no such thing as a standardized parts list for a custom setup, this is just an example of what you need. You'll need to mock up to make sure everything fits before welding. If you want to route the dump tube to your exhaust, I hope you are excellent at fabricating. If you order the list I gave you, it will likely be enough to accomplish what you are doing. The parts are only half of it though, actually fitting the to your application is the difficult part. If any of this seems like too much, its because it is, and abandon your quest to make the manifold work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back