The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset he351 VGT is goin on my car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyz250f

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
this is my quest for a cheap big turbo that spools up fast. This is off the 07/08 cummins. Its a he351 VGT (variable geometry turbo). Enough with part numbers. Thanks aero_sallee for the inspiration.

I sold my 60-1 to fund this project. Parts list follows as.

turbo 145
avcr 200
mani 95
exhaust pipe free
waste gate 90
actuator free (thanks josh)
alternator relocation free plus belts
mandrel bends 20 a U
um think thats all I had all the other stuff

Parts that were a bi*** to make. The manifold cutting of the flange. And angling it to clear everything. Thanks dsmtuner for tigin that. It barely clears the block. Also had to cut tons of front motor mount out. Had to make the compressor cover clear the bellhousing. Then finding out how to position the actuator to clear everything and still move the VG thing. The vg thing is harder to turn than a normal flapper so I added a spring to help it. I fabbed the IC pipes and made the alternator relocation. Well besides the tigging the flange I did it all. Even the custom spray paint. The o2 housing was tough also. I had flux wire at the time and now when I made the ic pipes I bought a bottle and switched to mig. Much gooder.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

water feed and oil feed tight fit

I started it but still need the radiator. also need to hook up the avcr.

Looks good so far! There was a writeup someone did on Homemadeturbo.com with a 2g and the vgt holset. What radiator and fan setup do you plan on using? The scirroco radiator may help you out
What manifold is that?

That rad will be here tomorrow. And its an ebay t3 mani. I think the dnp rip off one.

What are your spool expectations and how much boost do you plan on running?

fast as possible and as much as 1150s will allow me to.

It appears that you removed the electronic function on the compressor? Im assuming your using the mitsu actuator to use the vgt function. How many cm/ar is the turbine housing fully closed and fully open?

Glad to see you giving one of these a shot. :)

You really threw me for a loop with the actuator on the opposite side. At first I was going to say that won't work till I saw you reversed the arm on the VGT. ROFL How hard was it to switch that around? If you have them I'd love to see some detailed pictures of that process.

The extra spring shouldn't be required, exhaust pressure tries to open the VGT pretty hard on its own. I put a HE431V on a 8.3 cummins and you could barely force it shut by hand with the engine revved. Not a bad idea to experiment with it though.

Toofast82
The housing varies from approximately 3-4cm fully closed, and opens to 25cm. Yes he is running the mistu actuator to move the VGT. In my car, it spools a bit faster than a small 8 blade HX40 in the BEP housing, with MUCH better transient response/respool and better power at lower boost on the butt dyno.

Its really easy actually. In the oil drain hole there is an allen screw. loosen it and you can turn the arm. Or take the wheel off and the cover and you will see what is in one of these. first pic doesnt have the arm shaft in it. These things are super simple. I can have one apart in under 5 min. I took this one all apart to clean it and then I saw that you could rotate the arm around. Made things alot easier.

Hope I can get the avcr to controll the 16g actuator.

i found a link where someone measure the inducer/exducer of the turbine and compressor wheels. It appears the turbine is most likely the same as the hy35 which uses the 9cm housing. The hy35compressor is said to be the same as 7blade hx35 but with smaller turbine. The he351 has a bigger compressor as well
he-351
58mm/84mm- compressor and 57mm/64mm turbine. these numbers are approximate
hx35
56mm/82mm-compressor and 60mm/69mm turbine
Holset HE351/HY35 56K beware - TurboDodge.Com - Turbo Dodge forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Daytona, SRT-4, PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Im very interested to see how this thing spools with the vgt in action and the topend should be great with it open all the way
I've also been reading that the material the vanes are made of may not be able to hold up to gasoline exhaust temps as diesel temps are much cooler. The vgt turbo used on the new porsches was specially made to withstand the temps
AutoZine Technical School - Engine

i found a link where someone measure the inducer/exducer of the turbine and compressor wheels. It appears the turbine is most likely the same as the hy35 which uses the 9cm housing. The hy35compressor is said to be the same as 7blade hx35 but with smaller turbine. The he351 has a bigger compressor as well
he-351
58mm/84mm- compressor and 57mm/64mm turbine. these numbers are approximate
hx35
56mm/82mm-compressor and 60mm/69mm turbine
Holset HE351/HY35 56K beware - TurboDodge.Com - Turbo Dodge forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Daytona, SRT-4, PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Im very interested to see how this thing spools with the vgt in action and the topend should be great with it open all the way
I've also been reading that the material the vanes are made of may not be able to hold up to gasoline exhaust temps as diesel temps are much cooler. The vgt turbo used on the new porsches was specially made to withstand the temps
AutoZine Technical School - Engine
Those aren't quite right for the HE351VE. I took measurements of the HE351VE I mounted on my car.

Wheel dimensions.
Turbine
EX 2.357
IND 2.755

Compressor
EX 3.38
IND 2.37

Looks like a ~60mm compressor with an 85-86mm exducer.

More information here. Turbo Talk - View topic - HE351VE Holset VGT Turbo Information
My spool results in 4th gear with this turbo and a 2.4l are posted elsewhere on this forum, my blog, and on the thread on HMT here 95 TSI AWD Project VGT Holset no 56k

Yep a factory hybrid hx35/40 with VGT that opens up the turbine area enough to probably get deap into the potential of the compressor dispite the 35 turbine wheel.

Since the turbine fits to the chra via a vband. . . I wonder if you can just machine out to hx35 turbine wheel specs a 9cm^2 non-divided housing from an hy35 ??? hmm. Or swap to an hx40 turbine wheel/shaft and machine the 9cm^2 open housing for that ???? hrrrrrmmmmmmm.

Yep a factory hybrid hx35/40 with VGT that opens up the turbine area enough to probably get deap into the potential of the compressor dispite the 35 turbine wheel.

Since the turbine fits to the chra via a vband. . . I wonder if you can just machine out to hx35 turbine wheel specs a 9cm^2 non-divided housing from an hy35 ??? hmm. Or swap to an hx40 turbine wheel/shaft and machine the 9cm^2 open housing for that ???? hrrrrrmmmmmmm.

Good ideas, plus it shouldnt be too difficult to make an o2 housing with the holset flange! 9cm is about .63ar so it should have good spool and topend!

Dang good job on fitting that in there, besides the manifold /shakestick looks good.
When are you going to get it to the dyno?

shakestick? what is that?

Sorry about my grammer. This was copied and pasted from another forum that does not care a whole lot about that. I should have proof read it better.

My friend 420a-t has a h1e I believe. Something like an hx40. I wanted to see if his cover would fit but the wheel in his turbo was smaller and wouldnt fit the cover.

Diesel truck owners around here have gotten 500hp to the ground. In a diesel... That means I can make 1000 to the ground LOL.

If I put 480 to the ground with a 60-1 bolt on pte housing. This thing should make alot more. Its a 3 1/2 in vband out not the super small 2 1/2 in ebay tubular o2 housing like I had.

Looks good so far! There was a writeup someone did on Homemadeturbo.com with a 2g and the vgt holset. What radiator and fan setup do you plan on using? The scirroco radiator may help you out
What manifold is that?

So I orderd one, got it today, and its not even close to fitting. Its way to wide. What car do they come out of.

I think it will fit a colt. So I have one brand new for sale.

Started it and took it for a spin. I forgot to hook up the actuator so I dont thing the vg opened. No avcr in yet. The holes I welded in on the back side of the turbo weep a bit. Has a couple exhaust leaks. Something in the motor has a tick. Sounds like its from the starter area. Clicks faster as you rev it of course. So that really bugs me. I have to find out what that is.

But as of now with some exhaust leaks it spools about like the 60-1 but seems to spool faster. Like once it gets over 10 psi in half a second its at 30. The 60-1 would bite and claw and spin a bit if I brake boosted in 4th. I think this turbo would blow the tires off in 4th with out brake boosting. 1st 2nd 3rd useless. In fwd. Gonna have to put the t-case on again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmUQ7iQ7DUA

Started it and took it for a spin. I forgot to hook up the actuator so I dont thing the vg opened. No avcr in yet. The holes I welded in on the back side of the turbo weep a bit. Has a couple exhaust leaks. Something in the motor has a tick. Sounds like its from the starter area. Clicks faster as you rev it of course. So that really bugs me. I have to find out what that is.

But as of now with some exhaust leaks it spools about like the 60-1 but seems to spool faster. Like once it gets over 10 psi in half a second its at 30. The 60-1 would bite and claw and spin a bit if I brake boosted in 4th. I think this turbo would blow the tires off in 4th with out brake boosting. 1st 2nd 3rd useless. In fwd. Gonna have to put the t-case on again.

YouTube - holset he351 VGT dsm eclipse turbo start up

Have you had any luck figuring out the tick?

You said you didn't hook up the actuator for the VGT, do you mean not attached to the arm or no boost source?

How does the exhaust sound? That is one way to tell if the VGT is opening or not. If its staying closed the thing should be stupid quiet through a full exhaust. Until mine opens it is almost as quiet(minus turbine whistle) as my old 2.5 and 3" greddy evo style catback. And this is with what amounts to an open 02 housing. When it opens it sounds similar to an electric cutout opening.

Hope you are having luck getting the bugs worked out so we can have some more input on these things. :sneaky:

Edit: In the video I see you are missing a nut on the intake manifold flange.

It wouldnt even spool sometimes ### it was shut so closed so i had to shim the actuator a bit. i have another big exhaust leak too. The avcr is in just have to learn how to run it.

it makes positive pressure as it sits at 3k the really hits at 5.5k and is quite mad. but still big exhaust leak burns the eyes in the car LOL. and need the avcr working might help.

the tick might be the starter. its not really as noticeable now thoght LOL.

It wouldnt even spool sometimes ### it was shut so closed so i had to shim the actuator a bit. i have another big exhaust leak too. The avcr is in just have to learn how to run it.

it makes positive pressure as it sits at 3k the really hits at 5.5k and is quite mad. but still big exhaust leak burns the eyes in the car LOL. and need the avcr working might help.

the tick might be the starter. its not really as noticeable now thoght LOL.

I wonder if the linkage or stops on them wear a little bit or if maybe orienting the arm the way you did may have changed some geometry inside allowing it to close farther. Get those exhaust leaks fixed. :hellyeah: Its incredible the difference even a small leak will make. With my old 16g when my EGT probe popped out of the manifold #1 runner, it made a major difference in spool.
Mine makes 4-7 lbs cruising at 3000 rpm in 5th with mine closed all the way. It doesn't show on the boost gauge since that pressure is pre throttle plate and the engine is still operating at 60-70kpa manifold pressure. You can just tell due to the sound and instant boost when the throttle is opened.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back