The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G HKS VPC / S-AFC / air fuel meter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marqus2024

Probationary Member
Feb 27, 2024
Pasadena, Maryland
Has anyone used these or seen these in their Eclipses. I just got this Eclipse and finally finished swapping a a new engine into it. (Kinda. Last one was blown this one is used ) but I’m finally put back together with everything but the car came with these systems and I’ve read as much as I could on them but I want to hear more thoughts and opinions if anyone has seen or used them.

I’m also getting a lot of noise when the car starts and then it shuts itself off. If anyone has any thoughts on what it could be. I believe the car is also running lean based on the meter this car has in it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here’s video of car starting

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m also getting a lot of noise when the car starts and then it shuts itself off
The HKS VPC allows you to run speed density and the super AFC to adjust AFR. As the engine fires up, it means at least those are still connected and working. But do not attempt to start the engine again. Obviously something is not right mechanically. You should inspect the valve timing and all the timing components first. Hope the noise is not occurring by pistons/valves contact.

The important thing would be to make sure your motor is mechanically sound before going further. If so:

What size injector are you running? I would pop the cover off the VPC (insert a coin into the recessed part on the back end of the unit and twist) and see what injector chip is being utilised. Typically it'd be a 550cc or 660cc chip if it's an HKS chip, but could be a custom burned chip to run bigger injectors. Anything bigger than 660cc injectors, even running a customized chip, usually hurts driveability and idle.

You may need to play with the "Gain" and "Idle" dials on the VPC to help get the car to stay running if the injectors and chip match. You can also play with the lowest RPM dial on the S-AFC to help with idle further. Wrong injector chip vs. injector size would cause idling issues as well. Is that old school A/F ratio gauge pegged rich or lean when you attempt to get it to start/idle?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back