The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

HKS Eclipse - Dec 1991 Motor Trend Magazine Scans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepyvr4

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 25, 2003
Canadohta, Pennsylvania
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

pretty cool I guess. It's neat to see hks was on top of things not long after the car came out. I have more magazine scans (galant vr4) if interested at:

http://photobucket.com/albums/0903/ejectseat/sleepyvr4/magazine scans/

I'm more impressed with the suspension. .97g with just struts and sway bars? That changes my suspension upgrade plans.

Quasimondo said:
I'm more impressed with the suspension. .97g with just struts and sway bars? That changes my suspension upgrade plans.

Don't forget those nice tires

wow I didnt even think hks was that big back then here in the US. But thats something! Basically a lancer evo package on it , before the evo even came out.

Spoolin98 said:
I know they were aiming for street legal and all, but if you give any DSMer a 4g63 and $4,250, that car will be running better than 14's.

I think it does run better than 14's I mewan an evo has taht much power and runs low to mid 13's

Spoolin98 said:
If you actually read the article you would see that the car ran 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, and the quarter mile in 14.2 seconds at 96.5mph.

I did read the article, and I didnt want to believe a 14.2 with those type of hp figures. its says sport turbo kit on there, so it must be a 16g of some kind. with 270, 14.2 jsut doesnt seem right.

ITSME4G63 said:
I did read the article, and I didnt want to believe a 14.2 with those type of hp figures. its says sport turbo kit on there, so it must be a 16g of some kind. with 270, 14.2 jsut doesnt seem right.

I agree the numbers do seem a little low, but as we all know, there are alot of factors that affect quarter mile times. (Driver, octane, altitude, etc.)

1.5 hours to install a fuel pump, let me have some of the crack they're smoking.

Nice discovery, but there is DSMers that have run a 14.2@95mph with just I/E and a MBC. OMG

cool article. Does anybody know where I can find something like that for a 1995+ eclipse? I don't have a any motor trends, car and driver etc. that old.

Thats cool.

If only they knew about all of the simple/free things. (BSC, MBC, Fog light removal, open K&N, hacked MAS, some new plugs and wires, and 15 psi. Nice 3" boost creepin exhaust :p etc.)

If only I could have had a brand new talon/eclipse with all of the knowledge I do now.

Red95DSM said:
Nice discovery, but there is DSMers that have run a 14.2@95mph with just I/E and a MBC. OMG

yeah, but this is back in 1991 before anybody really knew anything about DSM's. at this point they were barely 2 years old so not too many people were ripping them apart and seeing how they could improve things. there weren't really any DSM specialty shops yet either.

nice find BTW, but I don't need to look at a scan because I have an actual copy of that issue
:p

Hey RamenPride, do you happen to have a magazine article covering your car? I'd like to see an article about our generation.

2gGSX said:
Don't forget those nice tires

I don't think this can be stressed enough.....note the r1 after comp t/a in the side bar. Sure comp t/a usually indicates crappy tire but in this case R1 means competition tire that just happens to be dot approved cause that's what the SCCA rules called for. IIRC the R1 was THE tire to use at the time for IT and showroomstock racing. Hoosier was still making bias plies (not that they were bad mind you), the yokohama a008r's were already long in the tooth, and toyo and goodyear hadn't gotten their respective proxes/gscs out yet either. There was no kumho. So bf goodrich was king of the hill then.

to quote the article they are 'sticky as a two year olds hand'

punishercb said:
Hey RamenPride, do you happen to have a magazine article covering your car? I'd like to see an article about our generation.

maybe. I have almost every issue of Motor Trend and Car and Drive (maybe missed a year or two) since 1991-92'ish. I'll have to get the issues out of the storage area and take a look. I remember they did have a little blurb on the 2G, and some comparisons as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back