The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

HKS CAM GEARS REAL VS FAKE THE GOOD AND UGLY

Have you ever ran knock-off HKS cam gears?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Never.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

442powerstroke

Proven Member
Jun 6, 2013
sacramento, California
So I recently put up a FS ad for a set of REPLICA (knock-off) HKS Cam Gears. Below is the info, in case anyone is wondering, how to identify fake HKS cam gears vs the real ones.

If you would like to add info please do so. From my years of DSM's and Honda's i have ran good replicas for thousands of miles. but i must admit most of the hks copies are junk on market here is a good guide on real vs crap not all copys are made equal my buddy ran the bottom right picture for years no problems we bought at same time he installed i sold my build.

if you have ran any of these types not real please post pictures and storys if they worked or killed your motor
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i saw you AD i knew they was fakes straight off the bat, it is funny what people cannot google themselfs, i dont do fakes as the material can be weak and not as durable as real ones, plus HKS pride them selfs of full tooth engagement of the belt where as i bet all fakes or copys dont use that,

I got some copys but only for cup coasters LOL i paid like $30 for them but wont ever be used,

In my honest opinion 150 for copys are alot even what you paid 200! Even if they are ment to be good quality! When aem or fidanza are around 200 ish and 2nd hand ones can go from 100 and have more bolts holding the gear which is also another reason why i wont use HKS gears, 4 bolts minimum for me,

Yeah i saw you AD i knew they was fakes straight off the bat, it is funny what people cannot google themselfs, i dont do fakes as the material can be weak and not as durable as real ones, plus HKS pride them selfs of full tooth engagement of the belt where as i bet all fakes or copys dont use that,

I got some copys but only for cup coasters LOL i paid like $30 for them but wont ever be used,

In my honest opinion 150 for copys are alot even what you paid 200! Even if they are ment to be good quality! When aem or fidanza are around 200 ish and 2nd hand ones can go from 100 and have more bolts holding the gear which is also another reason why i wont use HKS gears, 4 bolts minimum for me,
I have had aem 3 bolt come loose on me b4 but cought it b4 it came all the way loose i know why aem went to 5 bolts with newer style

I think all should be 4 or more to spread the load, i wonder how much twisting tension is put on the gears! Dont k ow if google will throw up any results,

I think all should be 4 or more to spread the load, i wonder how much twisting tension is put on the gears! Dont k ow if google will throw up any results,
There's not much force on timing thats why it's a rubber belt. And 4g63 have a hydro tensioner to help with load my aem 3 bolts working great for years on my 600hp set up. They came loose one time or i forgot to tighten. But never failed. I think people tighten t belt way out of spec then blame on cam gears.

spend more money for same thing ok dude your cool. you are not adding anything to subject but BS you are no one you are not david bush or stm your word means no more then mine come up to norcal for CMI sac raceway and get burnt buy cheap cam gears. you mite want to do a lil research on hks cam gears there's problems with legit ones. if they are same exact made like my set they are same exact cam gear minus correct markings same metal same $hit its not a crank shaft or a camshaft its a metal gear that pulls a rubber belt.
now your chance to be internet troll again:heystupid: give me a schooling on what i and everyone else knows already about china $hit so you can think your cool :beatentodeath:

its not the 1999 no more its 2017 everything has been done or said already take your $hit to facebook or twitter theres no need for your comment :f-u:
Firstly you cannot comment like that when its a discussion and everyine has their right to reply to your thread! Plus he did not speak to you that way! So i feel you need to calm down and say sorry as your reoly was abit agressive!

Secondly, while they may cost more does that really make thrm better copys? Nope! It means its aiming for the folks who "think" they are better so get the people who are not quite sure if they are real but the logic is it costs more so it must be better! Right????? Negative, its sales and works well, they most likely still use a cheap aluminum 6061 or worse, while the top range and best gears use a 7075 grade aluminum.

With that in mind even if HKS did go wrong like the older version they solved it and made a new version, yes you would think in 2017 its all the same but it really is far from it, people have just gotten much better to make it look better and the same and cover up the copys well compared to originals!

So please dont get that aggressive on someones reply when they reply, we all have our prefferences and thoughts and alot of times first hand experiance

Do they still make skunk2 for 4g63?

I believe so. I Would have to use the ole internet and look[/QUOTE]
No not no more, they list them but cannot buy them, i heard they stopped a few years back, shame really as i loved the new version design

Do they still make skunk2 for 4g63?

Nope, I bought two sets from their NOS in the clearance section of their website for dirt cheap (they were blue though).

The only thing I don't like about them is that they never did a timing marked correct setup for our cars. They put dimples on them but that is not the correct location for the timing mark on either side and people could easily get confused. I had to take my old cams and mark the Skunk2s to match just to avoid confusion (I did manage to put one of the cams 180deg out of sync at first but caught it in time). They are good cam gears though and very well made...

Last edited:
Nope, I bought two sets from their NOS in the clearance section of their website for dirt cheap (they were blue though).

The only thing I don't like about them is that the never did a timing marked correct setup for our cars. They put dimples on them but that is not the correct location for the timing mark on either side and people could easily get confused. I had to take my old cams and mark the Skunk2s to match just to avoid confusion (I did manage to put one of the cams 180deg out of sync at first but caught it in time). They are good cam gears though and very well made...

Did you use the white line instead of dimple? Each gear has 2 white lines and the dimple.

That's what I'm using. Skunk cam gears.

OP I was just giving my opinion. Not calling u out or saying your cams are crap. I just wouldn't feel comfortable running replicas and trashing a motor if something failed. So take it a step back and chill bruh.

Ps your caps were on.

Firstly you cannot comment like that when its a discussion and everyine has their right to reply to your thread! Plus he did not speak to you that way! So i feel you need to calm down and say sorry as your reoly was abit agressive!

Secondly, while they may cost more does that really make thrm better copys? Nope! It means its aiming for the folks who "think" they are better so get the people who are not quite sure if they are real but the logic is it costs more so it must be better! Right????? Negative, its sales and works well, they most likely still use a cheap aluminum 6061 or worse, while the top range and best gears use a 7075 grade aluminum.

With that in mind even if HKS did go wrong like the older version they solved it and made a new version, yes you would think in 2017 its all the same but it really is far from it, people have just gotten much better to make it look better and the same and cover up the copys well compared to originals!

So please dont get that aggressive on someones reply when they reply, we all have our prefferences and thoughts and alot of times first hand experiance
We are comparing real vs many different copys . most hks copys dont even match up they just look similar if you take a quick look but when you really look at them you can see the difference. And for him he is saying non since about nothing and trying to bash be for paying 200 he would never pay 200... Cool keep it to your self .if your gonna talk that way. And you do know oem cam gears are made out pot metal right .lmfa0 the cam gears and all pullys on motor are weaker steel unlike the forged gears on crank and in motor.

you mite want to learn how to read i never said just cuz they cost more they are better .look at them side by side not all fakes are made the same mine are 100% same as hks minis logo error. Others are way off on design and quality do you think your educating me on somthing me and everyone else don't already know about china crap?
You really are not saying anything everyone else has already said in 20 years✌

Last edited:
We are comparing real vs many different copys . most hks copys dont even match up they just look similar if you take a quick look but when you really look at them you can see the difference. And for him he is saying non since about nothing and trying to bash be for paying 200 he would never pay 200... Cool keep it to your self .if your gonna talk that way. And you do know oem cam gears are made out pot metal right .lmfa0 the cam gears and all pullys on motor are weaker steel unlike the forged gears on crank and in motor.

you mite want to learn how to read i never said just cuz they cost more they are better .look at them side by side not all fakes are made the same mine are 100% same as hks minis logo error. Others are way off on design and quality do you think your educating me on somthing me and everyone else don't already know about china crap?
You really are not saying anything everyone else has already said in 20 years✌
stock over aftermarket are a huge difference! crap steel or not steel has multiple times for strength over aluminum even weaker steels out perform some high grade steels because of its properties!

im talking nicely and very civil and just stating your reply back to his post was not polite and it was super aggressive.

and i also never said you was the guy who assumed because they was expensive they must be real! did i?? i just said its what mostly happens in the world, people associate cost with quality these days,

so the short of it is i get what you are saying and i know the reason for your post. im just commenting my knowledge and thoughts that it all

peace out

Moved to The Hangout since there's zero tech info in this thread, edited the OP since it seems like your keyboards CAPS LOCK key had soda spilt on it and was stuck on for awhile, and also changed the poll to be more politically correct. If you're going to create a poll it helps not to troll yourself.

Since you're asking for opinions on the subject, there are a lot of knock-offs out there and, with anything else, it's always important that before buying a part you should do enough research to know exactly what you're spending your hard earned cash on. Just recently I was trying to pick-up a pair of Nike Air Max 2017 ($190'ish/pair) shoes and found a site that sells their knock-off's for $65, then I found the same site selling their knock-offs on eBay for $170. If they sold them on eBay for $65 then they'd clearly be knock-offs and nobody would buy them but because they sell them for $20 less than the authentic Nike Air Max's they can get away with it since customers just assume they're getting a slightly better deal on the same authentic pair.
I'd guess the knock-off HKS cam gear manufactures from China who use recycled aluminum can's do something similar on what you're trying to sell. Rub some of that watercolor purple paint off of them and I'd guess you'd find a Pepsi logo?

OP, I also fixed your for sale ad so the "kiddies" (I like think of them as responsible DSMer's confused by your somewhat misleading ad) don't assume you're selling real HKS cam gears... Now there shouldn't be any confusion since the ad title clearly states what it is you're trying to sell. Your welcome. :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back