The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

HKS BOV Flutter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclpsegsx12

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2003
Tucson, Arizona
i just put on an HKS SSQV with a dejon tool UICP L pipe....im running stock IC and an evo turbo....when i hit 10-15 psi, it flutters...its not the whistle type sound that it sounds like on friends cars....ive tried tightening the screw and losening it but that didnt help.....it may be blowing off but im not sure....its the regular insert BTW....any help?

While you are in teh throttle (not lettgin off) it flutters? Be a little more clear if you can :cool:

A lot of the higher end BOV with stiffer springs tend to flutter under part throttle. I can get my Tial to do it also. Unfortnatly this is probably just something you are goign to have to deal with.

eclpsegsx12 said:
i just put on an HKS SSQV with a dejon tool UICP L pipe....im running stock IC and an evo turbo....when i hit 10-15 psi, it flutters...its not the whistle type sound that it sounds like on friends cars....ive tried tightening the screw and losening it but that didnt help.....it may be blowing off but im not sure....its the regular insert BTW....any help?

i had the same thing happen..i had the hks ssvq on my ex-supra and it whistled like a mofo...then i sold it to a guy with a turbo integra and he was complaining because it didnt whistle that much and had more of a flutter... :confused:

It flutters when i shift at 6k or when i left off when i go into boost. My friend has a HKS SSQV and when he hits 5 psi it whistles. Im runnign 17 psi on an evo 3 16g and it still sounds like its fluttering. I have a SBR fmic kit on the way also. My motor is bad right now (rings are gone) and i have a built motor ready with a bunch of other things. I just want to get this solved before i put it on my new motor and setup. It sounds like its blowing off but its not whistling like a high pitch sound at all. Ill try taking it apart again and seeing if anythings jammed but i dont know.

My friend has two valves on his WRX since his HKS used to flutter at low psi or non hard driving so he got a Type S as well now the flutter at low is eliminated but the high pressure holding is still there. It works for him so i might try it when i feel like spending money on another valve.

I have a HKS BOV and it also Flutters whether I shift at 6500 rpms or I shift a 2500 rpms. How can I fix this?

I have a HKS BOV and it also Flutters whether I shift at 6500 rpms or I shift a 2500 rpms. How can I fix this?

Wow back from the dead OMG How can you fix the flutter? Do you have the BOV hooked up to its own source? What size vacuum line are you using? Is it the older, adjustable version, if so have you tried adjusting it? If you have done all the things mentioned, more then likely you'll just have to live with it. The SSQV flutters pretty much all the time unless your basically at full boost. There are a tonn of other threads posted on here stateing the same thing.

The HKS SSQV is s perfectly fine BOV. Low boost it sounds like it flutters, but thats just how they sound when its low boost. But WOT it should be the signature sound or if recirculated like it should be with DSMs unless running blowthrough, it shouldn't flutter.

Check install, adjustment screw in the back really doesn't do much.

There is very good information here on tuners. Do a search on "HKS" its a bov related thread and has 4+ pages.

I checking the bov and it doesnt have the adjusting screw on the back and the vac line is connected fine from the bov straight to the intake manifold without a leak or T fitting. It flutters even when I go wot and shift and 6500 rpms. It is getting pretty annoying because I had a RFL on My old turbo RS and it never fluttered even when I would shift at 2500 and I thought the RFL wasnt as good

There are many blow off valves that dont flutter and sound good. HKS has always fluttered on my 96 tsi with a T28. Fluttered mostly under part throttle and the flutter would go away under full or close to full thottle. If you dont want something that flutters, look into a Greddy type RS or a Turbo XS of some sort. I have a 99 GST currently with a 57 trim and the old Greddy Type S and even that flutters. It actually sounds rather good in my opinion with the fluttering because the high pitched type s whistle is hard to hear. So I guess Im confused what the actual question is. If your looking for something that sounds good, look around but many blow off valves will make a fluttering type sound especially once your talking bigger turbos and more airflow.

There are many blow off valves that dont flutter and sound good. HKS has always fluttered on my 96 tsi with a T28. Fluttered mostly under part throttle and the flutter would go away under full or close to full thottle. If you dont want something that flutters, look into a Greddy type RS or a Turbo XS of some sort. I have a 99 GST currently with a 57 trim and the old Greddy Type S and even that flutters. It actually sounds rather good in my opinion with the fluttering because the high pitched type s whistle is hard to hear. So I guess Im confused what the actual question is. If your looking for something that sounds good, look around but many blow off valves will make a fluttering type sound especially once your talking bigger turbos and more airflow.

Fluttering is common with the SSQV under part throttle, flutter isn't common with other BOV's if they are adjusted correctly. If you are seeing flutter on valves, such as your Greddy, the spring tension is probably adjusted to high. If you have backed off the adjusting bolt as far as you can, then some take one of the springs (the lighter one, they come with 2 installed), which allow less tension & should prevent flutter. Have you also verified no boost leak as this can also be a cause of flutter? Also as mentioned above t-ing a MBC into a BOV line can also cause this issue.

I did run a Greddy type RS & with the way it came adjusted from factory, it fluttered. I slightly backed the tension off & the flutter went away & still didn't leak under full boost.

Well I'm not sure that the Greddy Type S is a sufficient blow off valve for the turbo on the car I have. I bought it that way from a friend, but really I have heard a lot about how bad the type s was while they made it. I know that the forge blow off valve flutters also and even a friend of mine who had a Blitz DD blow off valve would flutter under very low throttle. HKS racing is another that will flutter. Flutter is not necessarily bad, but can be depending on your setup. HKS makes very good, reliable blow off valves. The Greddy RS has also performed better. But I was refering more to the actual sound because I thought that is what he was asking.

Well I'm not sure that the Greddy Type S is a sufficient blow off valve for the turbo on the car I have. I bought it that way from a friend, but really I have heard a lot about how bad the type s was while they made it. I know that the forge blow off valve flutters also and even a friend of mine who had a Blitz DD blow off valve would flutter under very low throttle. HKS racing is another that will flutter. Flutter is not necessarily bad, but can be depending on your setup. HKS makes very good, reliable blow off valves. The Greddy RS has also performed better. But I was refering more to the actual sound because I thought that is what he was asking.

Hmmm, well not sure what the GT3351 turbo your running is as far as size (haven't heard this number/series before) but the Type RS worked fine on my FP3052 (or Garrett GT3076) & I know of others with larger turbos then mine running the Type S or Type RS & don't have the flutter, so not too sure on that.

Also as far as the Type RS performing better vs the Type S, it seems in general I hear the opposite. I have heard quite a few complaints on the Type RS being defective & having diaphragm issues & not so much with the Type S. Personally, the type RS worked great for me.

Forge did have a run of BOV's that didn't have a proper seal where the body met the flange & was a perminant boost leak under the diaphram, but looks like they've solved this issue. This could be the cause of some peoples flutter with the Forge & I also know of a bunch of guys who run this valve as well & same thing, when adjusted properly it doesn't flutter.

Not that flutter is the end of the world, I just don't really like the sound. Compressor surge on the other hand, is very bad, but thats a completely different subject.

Hmmm, well not sure what the GT3351 turbo your running is as far as size (haven't heard this number/series before) but the Type RS worked fine on my FP3052 (or Garrett GT3076) & I know of others with larger turbos then mine running the Type S or Type RS & don't have the flutter, so not too sure on that.

Also as far as the Type RS performing better vs the Type S, it seems in general I hear the opposite. I have heard quite a few complaints on the Type RS being defective & having diaphragm issues & not so much with the Type S. Personally, the type RS worked great for me.

Forge did have a run of BOV's that didn't have a proper seal where the body met the flange & was a perminant boost leak under the diaphram, but looks like they've solved this issue. This could be the cause of some peoples flutter with the Forge & I also know of a bunch of guys who run this valve as well & same thing, when adjusted properly it doesn't flutter.

Not that flutter is the end of the world, I just don't really like the sound. Compressor surge on the other hand, is very bad, but thats a completely different subject.

Totally agreed on the compressor surge. The car in my profile is an older car I had, just havent gotten around to changing my info.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back