The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HKS AFR issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niknuk

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 2, 2002
Penn Hills, Pennsylvania
Anyone familiar with the HKS S-AFR? Its the same type of piggyback fuel computer as the Apex AFC.

Anyway, the problem i have is when I have it in 4cylinder, Karmen Vortex mode (which is our cars right?) I get a rough idle, it misses erratically. It also misses and stumbles erratically all the way through the RPM band. I would think that the thing was defective or I wired it wrong, except when I set it to ANY other type of air sensor (0-5v, 5v-0, pressure) the car hums like a kitten.

I have adjusted the idle control, and fuel gain at low rpms every which way with no change, it still stumbles. When I bypass the AFR on the white MAS wire the car is as usual. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Gonna go with: you tapped the wrong wire.

I double checked the bastedges. Any idea which one could be wrong?
Its not the power or ground, not the mas, not RPM...that reads correct. could be throttle position, but the response and EIDS come on when I mash the accelerator and let off respectively. I'm pretty sure they're all right.

I don't personally own one (I have an S-AFC), but you said when you bypass the controller, it works. This would lead me to the above conclusion. Anyone with one of these doohickeys want to chime in here...

Yeah, it idles and runs great for any other type of airflow input it has....I'm not sure about the AFC, but the AFR has 4 different types of airflow input, 1)karmen 2)5v-0v 3) 0v-5v 4)pressure. I have no idea about 2 and 3, but 4 seems to be a MAP sensor? But when I put it on the correct setting for our cars, it goes to crap. Even on learning mode. :confused:

Hmmm I went back over the diagrams I have for the 1g ECU pinouts, and I'm almost sure I mistook the idle switch wire, or the barometric pressure wire for the airflow sensor wire...My car is outside in ungodly 10degree weather or I'd go check. Here's the 1gECU diagram I used from vfaq.com for those of you who want to look. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ecu-harness-1G.html
I put the mas signal wire from the AFR into number 14, where I think its supposed to go to number 10. Anyone who has an AFC or AFR could you confirm this? Lando I think you may have called it. I'll let you know tomorrow.

*smacks himself*

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back