The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

HKS 272 cams daily driven car is it ok?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GstRacer

20+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2003
BooneDocks, Connecticut
well i would like to know what it's like for the people here that have hks 272 cams in there daily driven car. is it ok to run them in a car you drive everyday? whats the idle like?? is it stay idling? let me know becasue i'm about to buy some cams but dont want 264/272 combo if i can get the 272s. what would be the diff in power from the 264/272 to just both 272s?? thanks alot

Yes 272's are fine for daily driving, tons of people have it.

I've heard of allot of people buying 264/272 at first, and then soon after buying the 272 to mach. In my own experence, I love the 272/272. Big gains at 4000 on high boost (19+) cant go wrong. Idle isnt bad at all, a little lumpy but well worth it.

If anyone complains about 272's on a daily driver, theyre NUTS. My car idles fine, drives fine, not a single problem. I didnt even notice any 'low end loss'. Those who might think 272's are too much, are the ones whod consider a 50trim laggy.

Just to let you know anyone who tells you that 272/272 are too aggressive needs a reality check. They are fine for daily driving and I use them.. IMO they are mild as hell. You will just have to raise you’re idle to get a miss fire code to go away. :rolleyes: The only down side is a Big 16G will not beable to keep up with the cam at higher RPM's

Mike

I too have been toying with this decision for a little while, but what do you mean when you say a big 16g can't "keep up". Since I have the evoIII this comment intrigued me.

I have run straight 272s for a few years now and they are fine for a daily driver. My car idles fine and is perfectly streetable in the lower rpms.

About outflowing a 16G. I think he was saying that with the cams the motor will flow so well that the turbo will be the flow limiting factor. Not sure that is the case.

My idle is clean a little lumpy but not that bad to complain, some Dsmer's ask man for sure you got Cams and i say No..... :p

I had 272's on a ported head with an evo3 16G on my daily driver for quite a while, it ran beautifully. My new setup is almost done, with 8.3:1 wiseco's, pauter rods, the same ported heads, FP cams, venom IM, and a holset HX40. With the last setup it idled quite smooth, with just a bit of a burble at idle from the exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back